Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
BP Homeowners, how much do you give Sanitation/Mailman?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:19 am
BP Homeowners (private homes), how much do you give Sanitation/Mailman for Xmas?

happy12

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 5:50 am
I don't think it's legal to give $.
I give my mailman a 24oz cold water bottle during the spring and summer. He ring s my bell. If I'm not home my children give it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 5:58 am
I dont know how legal it is, but I suspect many give money. Some years weve given and some years not, and we got better service the years we gave.

Also, I havent given yet and had a garbage can disappear very recently, and many garbage cans were left with garbage after pickup. Were sort of putting two and two together.

Its a question of how much.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:42 am
As jews we're not allowed to give for xmas, just for new years.
Government workers are not allowed to accept gifts.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:44 am
I give $10 each.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:01 am
Zero because it's not allowed in NYC

takeiteasy

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:16 am
My moms mailman delivers her lots of packages and in the holiday season he is always ringing her bell hinting for a tip. She gives him &20

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:53 am
Of course its not legal. We give 20 each. Thats the way it is. Or you can give them a baked good if you cant afford money. They definitely expect it

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
Zero because it's not allowed in NYC

That may be true, but I think many of them EXPECT it anyhow, (and many of them may think these Jews live in these high cost houses and cant offer a nicety once a year?).

When I gave they were THRILLED and NEVER returned what I gave! I just was wondering how much people give.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:23 pm
Well yeah, if people keep doing it, they come to expect it. But I have no qualms about not doing something that I'm actually not supposed to be doing as per official rules. I have never tipped a sanitation worker and it has never caused me problems. There are enough people I have to tip this time of year, I'm not going out of my to tip people who are literally not allowed to accept tips.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
Well yeah, if people keep doing it, they come to expect it. But I have no qualms about not doing something that I'm actually not supposed to be doing as per official rules. I have never tipped a sanitation worker and it has never caused me problems. There are enough people I have to tip this time of year, I'm not going out of my to tip people who are literally not allowed to accept tips.

This is an old custom. My parents and their neighbors, did it every year, many many years ago.

As far as the money, I doubt theres too many homeowners in BP, who can afford the taxes, etc yet who dont have the 20-30 dollars for sanitation workers, etc. Im not referring to those.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:39 pm
Just wondering, how do you tip the sanitation workers? Around here they mostly come early in the morning, before I get out of the house, around 6 or 7 a.m.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:48 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Just wondering, how do you tip the sanitation workers? Around here they mostly come early in the morning, before I get out of the house, around 6 or 7 a.m.

Once a year you make sure to be available for a minute, when theyre there (on my block its often midnight). You cant miss the noise.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 1:38 pm
We tip $20 for each sanitation worker. We put it on the seat, they don't take it directly. We also give them water bottles whenever we see them (quite often). They do expect it and accept it and go out of their way for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries