Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Saving time...
1  2  Next

tzivi

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 4:07 pm
Could everyone please post ideas on how to save time doing household chores.

For example:

cooking and freezing double portions
shopping in bulk monthly (instead of weekly)

As organised as I am, bh, I just find that there never seems to be enough time. I am nearly sure that most mothers / wives of growing families feel the same way, so I thought that if we all post our ideas, we can probably all gain some ideas from each other.

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 5:22 pm
good idea for a thread, tzivi. wish I had some ideas to share embarrassed

well, I do suggest doing everything you can when you won't be interupted (ie. when the kids are asleep). it usually takes me 5 minutes to make the lunches for me and my daughter when I do it at night. but since I was too tired last night, I did it this morning. and since my daughter wanted to "help" it took muuuuch longer!!
but this doesn't hold true for everything. I know my daughter loves helping me set the shabbos table. so even though I could get it done faster myself, I let her help me. we do it right after I light candles, so there's usually not much else that I could be busy with then anyway.

buba123

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 8:20 pm
A lady with 20 (I think it was 22) children shared this tip with my mom years ago - when cooking try to use disposable pans. This way you can just chuck them and won't waste time scrubbing! Smile

stem

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 8:28 pm
I know this sounds small, but I always remove all the plastic rings that seal jars and containers as soon as I put them away from the store. This way, next time I am cooking or preparing a sandwich I run out of mayo or peanut butter (for example) I have it ready to go, and don't have to start hunting down the scissors to unseal it.

Tefila

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 8:53 pm
Stem lol I do exactly the same Very Happy

queenie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:41 am
buba123 wrote
Quote:
when cooking try to use disposable pans. This way you can just chuck them and won't waste time scrubbing!

That does sound like a fast idea and I do that for yom tov when I have tons to cook. But, I just can't do that all year long. The disposables do add up in $$$ and I find it is such a waste of the environment. I try to limit my use of disposables.

miriam

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:53 am
Disposables can be bought in bulk. There is a store here called Restaurant Depot. They sell to small restaurants and businesses. Try to find clubs and stores like that for savings.

queenie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 11:13 am
Truthfully, I stock up on disposables at pesach time. I try to use real dishes then too but I don't have enough large pans to cook in. there are a few basement stores to buy from at that time and their prices are just as good as any store and I am buying from a jew. Bc I don't use them much they last most of the year. I also use them when bikur holim calls me to cook for someone that had a baby or a someone else that needs. I just don't think for during the year I should be using disposables if we can avoid it.

Also, garbage pickup is only once a week. Soon it may be less than that. All the recycling has to be sorted too. So, I am trying to get used to using less.

buba123

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 11:38 am
queenie
Quote:
I find it is such a waste of the environment

It is recyclable.

adorable

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 12:46 pm
before I serve supper, I fill the sink up with hot water and soap so all I have to do is chuck them in and I let it sit a little bit, much easier to clean it that way.
even if I don't get to them right away, at least I know the shmutz is not hardening.

alos whenever I make a dressing, (and I anyhow have all the engredients out as well as the hand blender) I double or triple it so I just pour some over the salad.

queenie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 5:11 pm
Buba123,

those aluminum disposable pans are recycleable? I didn't know that. But, all those styrofoam plates and cups aren't. Besides, even if you can recycle it it's better just to use your own pan. I said, I am guilty too, I go through a lot of them on Pesach.

mother of 2 princess's

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:40 pm
can someone tell me how to post anyomosly thanks much appreciated

queen

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:56 am
When I got married my mother bought me meat POTS, but no meat pans ON PURPOSE!
it's the best thing..... much less to wash up!

(if after one use is looks easy to clean, I'll clean it, and then put away for dh to toivel. But it's no pressure bec. I can always just throw out if I don't feel like washing!)

Rivkie81

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:59 am
To post anonymously, just log on as amother and the password is in the announcements section.

buba123

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 11:46 am
queen
Quote:
(if after one use is looks easy to clean, I'll clean it, and then put away for dh to toivel. But it's no pressure bec. I can always just throw out if I don't feel like washing!)

My husbands' rav said that we don't even have to toivel disposable pans if we reuse them. The reason is - it's made to be disposed of. So, ask your rav - you might not even have to toivel them (if you want to reuse it.)

buba123

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 11:49 am
queenie
Quote:
those aluminum disposable pans are recycleable?

I live in NY & I recycle it with my plastic containers. I even recycle used silver foil.

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 3:20 pm
a quick clean up tip- line your disposable pans with silver foil! keeps em like new for a long time.

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:27 pm
How is aluminum recycable it doesn't disintegrate Confused

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 2:40 pm
Quote:
That does sound like a fast idea and I do that for yom tov when I have tons to cook. But, I just can't do that all year long. The disposables do add up in $$$ and I find it is such a waste of the environment. I try to limit my use of disposables.

Me too, it bothers me to use disposable.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 2:50 pm
New way to cook macaroni: put 2 cups boiling water into a large frying pan. Add 16 oz macaroni, cover. Bring to a boil and then cook for 10-15 min. on medium-low mixing every five min. When it is soft you won't have to drain the water, it will all be in the macaroni.
I hate draining the macaroni, it is heavy and I have lost a few potfulls down the drain.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics