Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is the Monsey Measles Outbreak Over?
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
You read the news and there’s a story of one boy who did this doubt the same is happening in monsey ny. And my pediatrician did say most did vaccinate very few not. But according to an anti vaxxers most pediatricians will not continue seeing there kids.
Most teen children of anti-vaxxer parents are NOT going out to vaccinate themselves. I don't know which pediatricians you're talking about. Those who've seen anti-vaxxing parents till now (and not all pedis did) are not changing their minds. My doc had and still has no issue.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
You read the news and there’s a story of one boy who did this doubt the same is happening in monsey ny. And my pediatrician did say most did vaccinate very few not. But according to an anti vaxxers most pediatricians will not continue seeing there kids.

I know some frum kids in Monsey (from one family) whose parents do not vaccinate and they had themselves vaccinated; however, I'm not sure how common this is. It is also quite possible, considering this family dynamic, that the father took them to the doctor and just the mother was anti-vax.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:17 am
nchr wrote:
I know some frum kids in Monsey (from one family) whose parents do not vaccinate and they had themselves vaccinated; however, I'm not sure how common this is. It is also quite possible, considering this family dynamic, that the father took them to the doctor and just the mother was anti-vax.

I have heard that some fathers did take against the wife’s choice.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Most teen children of anti-vaxxer parents are NOT going out to vaccinate themselves. I don't know which pediatricians you're talking about. Those who've seen anti-vaxxing parents till now (and not all pedis did) are not changing their minds. My doc had and still has no issue.

Yes I know I responded to SB about what she said about teens vaccinating

And sorry most docs are not going to accept new and they are having lawyers write up a letter for old anti vaxxer patients that they will no longer be able to see them. So maybe you didn’t hear the inside loop or until the letters are out no one saying anything to the anti vaxxers. But all pediatricians are collaborating together

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:22 am
Purim will create a HUGE measles problem most likely, if it is still around then.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
Yes I know I responded to SB about what she said about teens vaccinating

And sorry most docs are not going to accept new and they are having lawyers write up a letter for old anti vaxxer patients that they will no longer be able to see them. So maybe you didn’t hear the inside loop or until the letters are out no one saying anything to the anti vaxxers. But all pediatricians are collaborating together

Apparently several teenage kids went on social media to find help getting vaccines. Some obviously support the parents but some kids must be logging into pro-vaccine sites.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:44 pm
So some teens went out to get vaccines, so what? Once a kid is past the formative years, why not vaccinate? The issue anti vaxxers have is with injecting babies and toddlers with developing immune systems with vaccines.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:45 pm
trixx wrote:
So some teens went out to get vaccines, so what? Once a kid is past the formative years, why not vaccinate? ONE OF The issueS anti vaxxers have is with injecting babies and toddlers with developing immune systems with vaccines.

FTFY

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:28 pm
trixx wrote:
So some teens went out to get vaccines, so what? Once a kid is past the formative years, why not vaccinate? The issue anti vaxxers have is with injecting babies and toddlers with developing immune systems with vaccines.

What is significant about it is that some pro-vaccine info is reaching kids and is having a small impact. If herd immunity depends on numbers, that type of advertising has to reach kids. Social media may have caused them to question what they were taught.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:16 pm
Binah had an ad from Hatzolah encouraging people to vaccinate.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Binah had an ad from Hatzolah encouraging people to vaccinate.

Possibly ads aimed at kids would be more effective.

susanstohelit

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:41 pm
IMPORTANT: Everyone should be getting their titers checked, especially if they were born from the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s, when apparently the MMR vaccine has proven to have been less effective. I know many people, that age and even younger, who have had their titers checked since the measles outbreak and discovered that they were NOT immune, whether to the measles, German measles, or mumps.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:50 pm
susanstohelit wrote:
IMPORTANT: Everyone should be getting their titers checked, especially if they were born from the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s, when apparently the MMR vaccine has proven to have been less effective. I know many people, that age and even younger, who have had their titers checked since the measles outbreak and discovered that they were NOT immune, whether to the measles, German measles, or mumps.

When I asked about that at the health department, they answered that they are hesitant to give the MMR to senior citizens. (I am 63). Do you have info that they are giving it to people my age?

susanstohelit

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:54 pm
southernbubby wrote:
When I asked about that at the health department, they answered that they are hesitant to give the MMR to senior citizens. (I am 63). Do you have info that they are giving it to people my age?

Obviously ask and listen to your doctor, but I know people in their fifties who have gotten it, even if not from the health department. It's still worth knowing if you're immune even if you can't be vaccinated, I would think.

Most adult PCPs don't have the vaccine, and some pediatricians won't take adult patients, so if your doctor advises you to get the vaccine but you can't get it from him/her or the health department, maybe try a family care practice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics