Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Stop. With. The. Periods!

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 2:23 am
Thank you, I just needed to get that vent out.
It works for emphasis and sounds good when carefully placed, especially within dialogue when it depicts the way in which something was said.
And there was a time when it kind of took off from there and burst into popularity.
But then it seemed to fizzle, as it rightfully should.
And now either it's coming back or I just happen to have seen it too many times in the last few days in places where it's unhelpful and it's grating on my nerves and I just need to vent.
I'm not talking about random people's social media posts, I'm talking about real writers or marketing campaigns or other places where you hope, perhaps in vain, for better quality.
IT'S NOT CUTE ANYMORE.
IT'S DEFINITELY NOT ORIGINAL.
PLEASE STOP.
Banging head Can't Believe It Punch

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 5:27 am
People tend to punctuate with the same cadence they use to speak.

I'm a very enthusiastic person, and I get excited about things. When I write, I usually have to go back and remove a bunch of exclamation marks before I hit "post". Otherwise I sound like a Valley Girl. OMG! Cool

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 11:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
People tend to punctuate with the same cadence they use to speak.

I'm a very enthusiastic person, and I get excited about things. When I write, I usually have to go back and remove a bunch of exclamation marks before I hit "post". Otherwise I sound like a Valley Girl. OMG! Cool

Don't you mean O.M.G. ? LOL
(Sorry.)

rgr

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 11:39 am
You don't mean posts like these.... where for some reason it's better to connect the sentences with ellipses...where by the time your done.... you're a little confused to what you just read.....

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:01 pm
rgr wrote:
You don't mean posts like these.... where for some reason it's better to connect the sentences with ellipses...where by the time your done.... you're a little confused to what you just read.....

I'm guilty of that!

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:09 pm
I mean things like BIGGEST. SALE. OF. THE. YEAR.
It does make sense when you're imitating the way you speak. But the overuse is out of hand. Nobody speaks that way all the time.

rachelmom1

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:31 pm
And I thought I'll read a post from a frustrated woman who was trying to nurse clean.

rgr

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:34 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
I'm guilty of that!

Isn't 1 comma easier than three periods?

pause

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:49 pm
I agree, OP!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:58 pm
rachelmom1 wrote:
And I thought I'll read a post from a frustrated woman who was trying to nurse clean.

With all the intimacy threads we’re having lately...

Honestly. I. Haven’t. Noticed. All. The. Periods. But. Maybe. Now. That. You. Mentioned. It. I. Will. Start. Noticing. Them.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 1:12 pm
After my hysterectomy, I write with a meno-pause. Wink

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:49 pm
They serve different functions. A comma is a very brief pause, or even just a change in pitch. An ellipsis is a much longer pause, as when one is considering how to express oneself or to remember details. As in:

When I griped that I had no idea what to make for lunch, my vegan neighbor gave me an ...interesting...casserole that appeared to be made of wheat bran, mucilage, bird seed, and ...cardboard? She said it had high fiber and was very nutritious, but I found it somewhat...uh...well...right. So I says to her , I says, Miri, I says, thanks so much for the casserole, that was so sweet of you, but, really, you didn't have to do that. I could have just had what I have every day, namely, toast, tuna, coffee, and an orange.

Hear the difference?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:55 pm
OK, here's another one:

Miri's husband finishes davening, takes off his tefillin, puts his tallis neatly in his tallis zekel, puts on his coat and leaves.
Shiri's husband finishes davening...takes off his tefillin...puts his tallis neatly in his tallis zekel...puts on his coat...and leaves.

Which one is late for work?

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 5:02 pm
Challenge for zaq - copy your last two posts into the "Greatest frum novel" thread.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 5:20 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Challenge for zaq - copy your last two posts into the "Greatest frum novel" thread.
LOL LOL LOL

rovh613

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 5:23 pm
rachelmom1 wrote:

😁

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 6:00 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:

here ya go:

Malki's husband finishes davening, takes off his tefillin, puts his tallis neatly in his tallis zekel, puts on his coat and leaves. Stepping briskly out the door, he feels his kosherphone vibrate urgently. Nervously, he nibbles on a corner of his beard, wondering if he should take the time to answer or let the caller go to voicemail. It is, after all, a taanis tzibbur and he should avoid frivolous conversation today. MITZAD SHEINI, what if it's the hospital where Malki has been for a month? to answer or not to answer? Better safe than sorry, he'll leave it alone and go ask his rebbe.

Rivka's husband finishes davening...takes off his tefillin...puts his tallis neatly in his tallis zekel...puts on his coat...and leaves. He wanders aimlessly through the deserted streets, seeking and not finding a solution to his quandary. That guy, Joel, Joey, whatever he calls himself--no way he's becoming a real baal teshuvah. He must be trying to get an "in" with Rivka. Who knows what they did in Camp Ramah? He should really warn Rivka not to get too friendly, even if his sidekick is with him. That's it, he'll be matreh Rivka to stay away from him, and then she won't be able to be questioned for the investigation. Not that she knows anything, but loose lips sink ships. He shakes his head to erase the sudden, unwelcome image of Rivka with loose lips. Better to think of her patting her sheitel. Wait, why is her sheitel mussed and in need of patting into place?

Rivka settles deeper into the chair in Rebbetzin Wineglass's warm, immaculate kitchen and tries to change the topic to something lighter, less personal. The rebbetzin is a beacon of sense and holiness, but somehow Rivka senses that she cannot betray her dear husband Yoseph Yechiel. Why, oh why did she come here today? She casts about frantically for some shtus to share. She starts to babble:

"Rebbetzin, can you share some recipes with me? When I griped that I had no idea what to make for lunch, my vegan neighbor gave me an ...interesting...casserole that appeared to be made of wheat bran, mucilage, bird seed, and ...cardboard? She said it had high fiber and was very nutritious, but I found it somewhat...uh...well...right. So I says to her , I says, Miri, I says, thanks so much for the casserole, that was so sweet of you, but, really, you didn't have to do that. I could have just had what I have every day, namely, toast, tuna, coffee, and an orange. But my dear husband, Yoseph yechiel, shlita, he can't be expected to have that for lunch every day. He needs more variety when he's scamming, I mean striving, so hard. "
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics