Home

Traveling to Europe, give baby mmr?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Green


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:16 pm
I heard that usually you wouldn't give a baby the mmr shot before 12 MOnths. I'm traveling to Europe where I heard there's lots of cases but I'm not sure specifically about the area I'm going to. My baby is 9 months, do I give it or not?
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that usually you wouldn't give a baby the mmr shot before 12 MOnths. I'm traveling to Europe where I heard there's lots of cases but I'm not sure specifically about the area I'm going to. My baby is 9 months, do I give it or not?


You ask a medical professional.
Back to top

amother




Indigo


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:43 pm
Yes definitely, 100%. Its safe to give to babies from 6 months.
Back to top

asd3




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:53 pm
It’s safe from six months but when I asked my doctor about giving it to my six month baby because we are going to be traveling he said they don’t gain a lot from it at that age
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 4:39 pm
I asked the doctor. He said it's better to give it but it won't be counted as if she got it. Which I'm not excited about
Back to top

ggdm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 6:26 pm
Can you be more specific about the area? At least the country?
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 6:50 pm
Funny because my friend who is travelling from Europe to Brooklyn with a baby is worried about measles in NY.

Europe is a big place. If you are going to city with a measles outbreak you should worry.
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:47 pm
ggdm wrote:
Can you be more specific about the area? At least the country?


Amsterdam
I have no idea what it's like there
Back to top

octopus




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:05 pm
The dep of health is recommending giving baby shot for six months and up if going overseas. Really something to discuss with your pediatrician. It is not an early shot. It's an extra shot
Back to top

amother




Tan


Post  Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:03 pm
please talk to your pediatrician about it and not anonymous folks on imamother...

from what my doctor told me, nursing mothers pass on some degree of protection until the child is 6 months old, and at that point the child is at a higher risk of falling ill chas v'shalom. That's why if in an area with an outbreak, the new recommendation is one at 6 months, and then the regular vaccination schedule.
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 3:10 am
"Overseas"? LOL.
Back to top

e1234




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 4:45 am
I got it for my baby at 7 months in israel as there was someone in my building with it (though my baby was not really in contact with them)

then exactly 1 month later I found out a baby in his babysitting group had the measles
I was very happy I got the shot

he will still need it again at 1 year
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 5:37 am
6 months is in case of emergency. I asked several doctors, as I lost my grandma. I didn't go, because my baby is younger anyway, but they did NOT encourage before one year, esp 9 months.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 5:40 am
aren't these outbreaks located in big frum communities mostly? The frum community in Amsterdam is very small.
Back to top

amother




Amethyst


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
please talk to your pediatrician about it and not anonymous folks on imamother...

from what my doctor told me, nursing mothers pass on some degree of protection until the child is 6 months old, and at that point the child is at a higher risk of falling ill chas v'shalom. That's why if in an area with an outbreak, the new recommendation is one at 6 months, and then the regular vaccination schedule.


I think you may have misunderstood your doctor as studies have shown this is not the case. The vaccine is not given before 6 months because children simply won't develop enough immunity for it to be effective and the IgG antibodies from the PLACENTA prior to birth provide some protection up until 6 months. Breast feeding antibodies are called IgA and are effective against different viruses and bacteria.


Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 28 2018, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Dec 28 2018, 1:51 pm
Raisin wrote:
aren't these outbreaks located in big frum communities mostly? The frum community in Amsterdam is very small.

Going to an airport and going on a plane can expose you to people that are just traveling through and don't necessarily live in the city you are visiting.
Back to top

ggdm




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Dec 29 2018, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
Amsterdam
I have no idea what it's like there
Sorry, no idea.
Back to top

ggdm




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:43 am
I found some data for you:
https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publ.....ember-2018

The Netherlands have had just a few cases in 2018, none in the last two months covered in the report (September and October). I wouldn't worry.
Back to top

ggdm




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:49 am
Raisin wrote:
aren't these outbreaks located in big frum communities mostly? The frum community in Amsterdam is very small.
There are also measles outbreaks in other communities with low vaccination rates, e.g., natural parenting communities. I agree that there would be nothing to worry about in Europe if frum Jews were the only ones with measles outbreaks, as the communities are really small (with the exception of England and Antwerp maybe).
Back to top

amother




Lemon


Post  Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:53 am
ggdm wrote:
There are also measles outbreaks in other communities with low vaccination rates, e.g., natural parenting communities. I agree that there would be nothing to worry about in Europe if frum Jews were the only ones with measles outbreaks, as the communities are really small (with the exception of England and Antwerp maybe).


Off topic, but France has the third largest Jewish population in the world.

I always check with my own pediatrician before traveling and follow that advice.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
If you receive tuition assistance, do you give maaser?
by amother
7 Yesterday at 9:48 am View last post
Keto while traveling
by amother
12 Yesterday at 12:15 am View last post
Pidyon haben- baby outfit & garlic question
by lucky14
21 Wed, May 22 2019, 12:18 am View last post
What gift to give??
by amother
2 Mon, May 20 2019, 7:42 pm View last post
Now she's immune, but will her baby survive?
by amother
154 Sun, May 19 2019, 5:02 pm View last post
by nchr

Jump to: