Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I don't understand

Piper

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:50 pm
After reading the "what is a nice wage?" thread, I am incredibly confused. Nowadays, it is frowned upon to go the college to get a secular degree, but in order to afford a frum lifestyle in the US, you need a secular BA or even an MA to make that 6 figure salary.

So, unless you are willing to swim in credit card debt and not plan for retirement, what do you do? Even then, that might not be enough, so what do you do?

If you put yourselves into debt to put the kids in school and then kollel later, what happens if you do not have the $$ to support them, as your parents might (help support your kollel lifestyle)? Where will the $$ come from in the next 2 generations?

Disclaimer: this post is for people living in the US, as I have no idea what goes on financially abroad.

red sea

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:55 pm
Actually cuz they're prob smarter than us all and know that really making pathetic minimum wage type jobs plus govt help is the same as struggling on degreed salaries in the frum world and in order to pay their tuition they need you to be self employed business owners who dont really need the degrees after all.

loveit

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:29 am
Piper wrote:
After reading the "what is a nice wage?" thread, I am incredibly confused. Nowadays, it is frowned upon to go the college to get a secular degree, but in order to afford a frum lifestyle in the US, you need a secular BA or even an MA to make that 6 figure salary.

So, unless you are willing to swim in credit card debt and not plan for retirement, what do you do? Even then, that might not be enough, so what do you do?

If you put yourselves into debt to put the kids in school and then kollel later, what happens if you do not have the $$ to support them, as your parents might (help support your kollel lifestyle)? Where will the $$ come from in the next 2 generations?

Disclaimer: this post is for people living in the US, as I have no idea what goes on financially abroad.

Thank you, Piper!!! This has been my question over and over again! It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of generations, it definitely makes me nervous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics