Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Asking a friend financial questions

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:50 pm
If you have a friend that is very good with finances do you think it's ok to ask them financial questions? Like I have a friend whose husband seems to be really good with money and my husband and I don't know much. Do you think it's not nice to ask to take up the person's time? Has anyone here done this before?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:07 pm
What kind of questions? You don't want to take advantage, but some people enjoy talking about these things.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
What kind of questions? You don't want to take advantage, but some people enjoy talking about these things.

All sorts of questions. I guess like saving and investing, picking the best insurance and benefits at work for our situation, insurance questions, and lots of other things. You think it's possible people enjoy talking about this?

precious

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:25 pm
If he's not a professional it should be fine. If he does this as a job you should probably meet him officially and pay.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 5:03 am
Asking financial advice is fine. (Keep in mind he’s nota professional). Asking about someone else’s finances is rude.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
All sorts of questions. I guess like saving and investing, picking the best insurance and benefits at work for our situation, insurance questions, and lots of other things. You think it's possible people enjoy talking about this?

I came answer your original question, but to answer the post I quoted, yes I enjoy talking about these things. I live a good deal, I do a lot of research, and I enjoy sharing what I know and helping others

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 8:42 am
precious wrote:
If he's not a professional it should be fine. If he does this as a job you should probably meet him officially and pay.

I mean he does work in finance or business not sure exactly but I know he for sure doesn't do this type of work professionally. So I guess we can ask him and we'll of course say if you don't want or don't have time then it's totally fine.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 8:44 am
Iymnok wrote:
Asking financial advice is fine. (Keep in mind he’s nota professional). Asking about someone else’s finances is rude.

No I didn't mean asking about his finances. The question is if it's ok for me to discuss our finances with him.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
I came answer your original question, but to answer the post I quoted, yes I enjoy talking about these things. I live a good deal, I do a lot of research, and I enjoy sharing what I know and helping others

Ok thank you. I hope he also like talking about it and would help.
Another issue is that I don't normally talk with him. We are friends like I talk with his wife and he talks with my husband so I hope he's not uncomfortable with me meeting with him. I'd just have any husband do it but I handle more of the finances so my husband would just be going back and forth with me which seems like it would be not a good way of doing it.

simba

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:23 am
Sure, if you are friends it is fine to ask for advice.

If you are asking him to do something for you as a favor that he usually charges clients for, that should not be done. You should offer to pay and he can decline payment if he feels he would like to help you at no cost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics