Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How many Carats is the Diamond Necklace in Simpson's window?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:56 am
There is a similar necklace in their $10,000 and up section - they are soliciting inquiries so I am sure it is okay to use the contact form to ask.

And in all seriousness, doesn't everyone buy their serious stones from someone in the Diamond District? My friends from California fly into New York to buy stones and have them set when they are dealing with stuff like engagement rings. I didn't know there was a retail business for diamonds LOL LOL

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
There is a similar necklace in their $10,000 and up section - they are soliciting inquiries so I am sure it is okay to use the contact form to ask.

And in all seriousness, doesn't everyone buy their serious stones from someone in the Diamond District? My friends from California fly into New York to buy stones and have them set when they are dealing with stuff like engagement rings. I didn't know there was a retail business for diamonds LOL LOL

They sell very high end watches like Cartier, etc. I think they may have some customers who trust them and come from Manhattan. I think they have an on staff old-time diamond expert who is always there.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
It was there yesterday.

What time were you there? It must have been before me, because this thread inspired me to go buy the one in the window.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:19 am
amother wrote:

People from California may do that but they are also able to shop at XIV Karats.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
People from California may do that but they are also able to shop at XIV Karats.

My friends who are serious jewelry people go to xiv carats for fashionable stuff but they have always gone to the diamond district for their serious stones. They pick out the stones and then have them set. They go to jewelry stores for ready made jewelry where it’s not all about getting the absolute highest quality of stones. It’s the difference between expensive ready to wear versus couture.

Watches are watches and fungible so one would get a watch wherever if one likes the style and I would assume there is always a discount available.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
What time were you there? It must have been before me, because this thread inspired me to go buy the one in the window.

I live right there (Lucky me, haha) so I pass daily when walking on 13th.

Ill let you know if the one you bought was replaced by another.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:42 am
amother wrote:

This world has all sorts of people. Including people who happily pay for the experience of going to a retail jewelry shop an purchasing an expensive item there - designed - set and ready to go.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:45 am
Simpsons isnt paying an in house diamond expert's f/t salary (Im pretty sure theres a guy there who is that), if they werent selling serious diamond jewelry.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:50 am
UGLY

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
Simpsons isnt paying an in house diamond expert's f/t salary (Im pretty sure theres a guy there who is that), if they werent selling serious diamond jewelry.

Yes, people do purchase diamonds at retail.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, people do purchase diamonds at retail.

Thats understood. You can get a diamond bracelet for 300 too, maybe less.

Were talking about necklaces that cost upwards of $75,000, probably way more.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thats understood. You can get a diamond bracelet for 300 too, maybe less.

Were talking about necklaces that cost upwards of $75,000, probably way more.

People purchase those too.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
My friends who are serious jewelry people go to xiv carats for fashionable stuff but they have always gone to the diamond district for their serious stones. They pick out the stones and then have them set. They go to jewelry stores for ready made jewelry where it’s not all about getting the absolute highest quality of stones. It’s the difference between expensive ready to wear versus couture.

Watches are watches and fungible so one would get a watch wherever if one likes the style and I would assume there is always a discount available.

That all sounds a little bit too hands on. People design jewelry all the time, but don't personally go down to the Diamond District. Their reputable Jeweler usually has items to show, or can bring in items. That same jeweler then makes the mold for the appropriate style jewelry, etc. You can take the mold to XIV Karats (probably can have it made there too, but I haven't personal experience with this) and have everything done through them. No idea why someone would bother going to the diamond district unless they love the experience, are old fashioned, or happen to be in town. My family in LA did not use XIV for a wedding ring, but didn't fly to the Diamond District either - people can do that and save you the hassle (unless you like it)

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
That all sounds a little bit too hands on. People design jewelry all the time, but don't personally go down to the Diamond District. Their reputable Jeweler usually has items to show, or can bring in items. That same jeweler then makes the mold for the appropriate style jewelry, etc. You can take the mold to XIV Karats (probably can have it made there too, but I haven't personal experience with this) and have everything done through them. No idea why someone would bother going to the diamond district unless they love the experience, are old fashioned, or happen to be in town.

and want to cut out as many middlemen as possible.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
and want to cut out as many middlemen as possible.

I hear that. But if you have someone you trust, I'd rather save my time, which could be spent on other stuff. I understand why some people would, but not bothering with personal visits to the Diamond District is perfectly reasonable and legitimate.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
I hear that. But if you have someone you trust, I'd rather save my time, which could be spent on other stuff. I understand why some people would, but not bothering with personal visits to the Diamond District is perfectly reasonable and legitimate.

They aren't flying into NY specifically to buy jewelry as they don't need jewelry on an emergency basis so it's not an inconvenience and they feel the prices and the peace of mind are worth it as they have long standing relationships with them.

I am sure there are similar people in Los Angeles but since ties are on the East Coast, that's where they do their serious stone buying. It's a matter of price and trust of course.

I just didn't know there was enough of a market among Jews to support retail diamond sales for "serious" stones but I guess we are old fashioned :-).

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
They aren't flying into NY specifically to buy jewelry as they don't need jewelry on an emergency basis so it's not an inconvenience and they feel the prices and the peace of mind are worth it as they have long standing relationships with them.

I am sure there are similar people in Los Angeles but since ties are on the East Coast, that's where they do their serious stone buying. It's a matter of price and trust of course.

I just didn't know there was enough of a market among Jews to support retail diamond sales for "serious" stones but I guess we are old fashioned :-).

What now - only Jews buy diamonds?

ShishKabob

They probably have the real one inside in the safe for all you know.
And this thread really gave me the laugh that I needed. Thank you

amother
Pewter

amother wrote:

Different strokes for different folks.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:05 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
And this thread really gave me the laugh that I needed. Thank you

OP here. me too. Im still waiting for someone from Simpsons "elite clientele" (those who regularly buy the most expensive diamonds from Simpson's) to tell us about the value of that specific necklace in the window. Simpsons probably bought that necklace in for specific customers who regularly pay those prices.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries