Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yid Hakadosh minhag for giving names

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:19 pm
Did anyone ever hear of a minhag to name boys with a yud and girls with a hei in the name? A tradition from the yid Hakadosh? We are descendants and I cannot find any information on it.

EMEN

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:06 pm
I heard that the 'hei' for girls is segula for her to have children.

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:29 pm
I've heard of ppl who are makpid to always have a "h" in a name so their Yosef is Yehosef. Also, some ppl have a minhag to not call a girl with a name that ends in a hei a nickname with a yud (I.e. cannot call Sarah Sary or Chana Chanie) because Hashem took away the yud and added a hei so don't do the opposite. You could call Gittel Gitty etc. because it does not have a hei to begin with.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:33 pm
Thank you for the replies! Any sources for this? Or anyone know where I can look for sources?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:37 pm
So you wouldnt name a boy Avraham or Dan or Reuven or asher or Emanuel?

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:11 pm
I didn't with the hei for a girl but I did the yud for a boy. In fact my grandfather's name ends with an alef and he requested multiple times that after 120 the alef should be eliminated and a yud should be put instead.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:18 pm
Who is/was the yid hakadosh?

veiznisht

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:24 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

In short, one of the "early" tzaddikim of Polish Hasidim.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:24 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

I think OP means R' Yid HaChusid? Or is this also someone referred to as R' Yid HaKadosh?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:38 pm
I never heard of this minhag but all my girls have 'hey's and all my boys have 'yud's. Interesting.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
I think OP means R' Yid HaChusid? Or is this also someone referred to as R' Yid HaKadosh?

'De Yid Hakodesh' (thats the way he's called) was a talmid of the Chozeh of Lublin and the Rebbe of 'Reb Binam fin Pshischa'.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:09 pm
crust wrote:
'De Yid Hakodesh' (thats the way he's called) was a talmid of the Chozeh of Lublin and the Rebbe of 'Reb Binam fin Pshischa'.

Thank you!! Can you tell me about him? I’ve never heard of him.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:24 pm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....9nQG1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....AMQ_e

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 3:34 am
I am not used to -y in Ashkenazic circles, but while this is interesting, please don't make yourself crazy. Hashem is in command.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 5:25 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Thank you!! Can you tell me about him? I’ve never heard of him.

Two stories from Martin Buber's "Tales of the Hasidim, Later Masters". Notes in parentheses are mine.

p. 231 The Yehudi was asked: "In the Talmud it says that the stork is called hasidah in Hebrew, that is, the devout or the loving one, because he gives so much love to his mate and his young. Then why is he classed in the Scriptures with the unclean birds?" He answered: "Because he gives love only to his own."

p. 232 One night the Yehudi and his disciple Rabbi Bunim shared a room. Contrary to his habit, the Yehudi did not fall asleep, but kept thinking and sighing. Rabbi Bunim asked, "Why are you sighing?". The Yehudi replied, "I can't stop thinking about how the judges came after Moses, the prophets after the judges, then the Men of the Great Assembly, then the Tannaim and Amoraim, and so on to the moralists (baalei mussar), and when they too deteriorated and the false moralists multiplied, the zaddikim (hassidic rebbes) appeared. I am sighing because they too will deteriorate. What will Israel do then?"

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
I never heard of this minhag but all my girls have 'hey's and all my boys have 'yud's. Interesting.

Same here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names