Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
WWYD? paid handyman for bad work

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:46 pm
I paid a local handyman a few hundred dollars to do a repair in my house. He's someone I've used before and trust. He arrived early in the morning and being that my dh and I were leaving to work, we left him the money for the job. I don't believe that this caused him to do a bad job, but the work just looks sloppy and bad. The problem is that he worked around 5 hours on it and the only way to redo it would be to break it all up and start from scratch. On one hand I paid him to do a better job than this but on the other hand I feel bad asking him to redo it all, not to mention he might not agree anyway. wwyd?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 2:00 pm
Why dont you just ask him? He might have been planning to retunrn to fix it up. He may have seen that this is only way, whatever ...
I suggest that you call him up and thank him for his work - then respectfully voice your concrn/frustration .
It is your money - you are allowed to expect good work. But remember to treat him with respect

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 5:18 pm
You should ask him to fix it. No harm in asking. He should stand behind his work. I agree with amother sapphire- make sure to talk respectfully. Do not feel bad if the job was not done well. In the future you learn from this to pay after you see how the job has been done (or maybe half up front, half after if that's someones policy).

butterfly2

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:40 pm
I would try asking.
Just a tip- when I was doing renovations and I couldn’t go down to check up on it I asked the handyman to send me pictures of the work he completed before I paid him.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 3:33 am
Ask him to fix it. If not I'd compromise something and last resort, sue
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics