Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hotels international cheaper. Why?
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 8:17 am
So I've been looking at Pesach Hotels and I've found that the international ones are cheaper for a couple than local ones (minus airfare). Why is this??

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 8:18 am
the cost of labor is cheaper there.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 9:03 am
So many reasons why Europe is th best kept secret in Pesach programs

Many are in Off-season locations (like Greece) so the hotel prices are really low

The food is plentiful and delicious but not over the top the way it is on American programs: not a 9 day food orgee. Kiddishim are minimal, tea room is basic. Midnight buffets also minimal.

Less $ is spent on top name entertainers and speakers: the draw tends to be the location itself

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 9:38 am
Which European pesach hotels cater to the yeshivish/modern yeshivish crowd that Americans go to?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 10:54 am
Keep in mind that the location can be stunning, but if you are on the beach which many resorts are it can be very windy and too cold to really enjoy properly... There is a reason it's off season. This year Pesach is a month later so it may not be as much of a concern...

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 11:00 am
I went to a pesach program in Italy. It was beautiful but a huge shlep to get there. Two planes. Bus. Boat. Taxis. The crowd wasn’t American. It was mostly Israelis and Europeans. I didnt really have many people to socialize with. I went with my small family at the time. We didn’t do it again. Been going to a us based program for the last ten years. Very happy with them. It’s very expensive but you get what you pay for. My kids have a great time there.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 11:01 am
But yeah it was very cool there. Not swimming weather.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 11:19 am
I personally love being in a diverse crowd. I’ve been going away for Pesach for 25 years + BH and did the domestic hotels where are the NYers go but found them to be (as the years progress) stupidly expensive and boring to be in locations you can go (and eat kosher in) year round. I also didn’t want to be on a program with all NYers. There are lots of options in Europe with direct flights and with research (website and speaking with tour operator directly) you can choose a program
With lots of Anglos

With chol hamoed being 4 days, it’s prime time to go somewhere fabulous with maximum touring

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Keep in mind that the location can be stunning, but if you are on the beach which many resorts are it can be very windy and too cold to really enjoy properly... There is a reason it's off season. This year Pesach is a month later so it may not be as much of a concern...

The way I see it if you want to sit on a beach go to the Caribbean, not Europe. I’ve done the weather in the European locations I’ve been to for Pesach to be perfect touring weather (but I’m not a beach person)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:00 pm
Weather is different in Greece and POland LOL
Also any place can be good even if it doesn't only have Americans or yeshivish :/

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:07 pm
https://www.totallyjewishtrave.....iland

Now here's something different!

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
the cost of labor is cheaper there.

that really depends where in Europe. But I am sure in places like Greece and Croatia labour is cheaper then where I live. I pay a similar price for my cleaning lady then NY'ers seem to pay. (€12 per hour, but at least she is a legal immigrant)

Also, they are relying on Europeans and Israelis clientele, who won't pay such crazy prices.

My not frum friend went somewhere in the south of spain last year and she said it was full of frum people. If you are american I would try and find somewhere that attracts British frum people so there is no language barrier.

Europe is full of people who are traditional and keep strictly kosher (especially on pesach) but are not shomer shabbos.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:30 pm
I believe the prices in Europe cater to the Israeli market (sad though that may be).

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
https://www.totallyjewishtravel.com/passover_resorts/thailand/kosher-passover-program-thailand

Now here's something different!
easy access to prostitution as well

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:

Srsly?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:43 pm
DrMom wrote:
Srsly?
check out what the largest portion of the thai economy comes from. relations trafficking. I would not vacation in a country that pedophiles consider a haven

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
check out what the largest portion of the thai economy comes from. relations trafficking. I would not vacation in a country that pedophiles consider a haven

I guess we all need to pick our battles.

China has a human rights abuses rap sheet a mile long. Buy anything from Walmart or Ali Express lately?

FWIW, I've been to Thailand and the people are lovely.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 3:47 pm
DrMom wrote:
I guess we all need to pick our battles.

China has a human rights abuses rap sheet a mile long. Buy anything from Walmart or Ali Express lately?

FWIW, I've been to Thailand and the people are lovely.
You won't find me vacationing in China and I definitely try to buy American.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 4:29 pm
My biggest issue with international pesach was medical. You need to know the medical system of the country you are in. What happens if someone needs to go to the hospital? Or needs medicine? We accidentally left routine prescription medicine at home. When we tried to figure out how to get the equivalent where we were, there was a whole strange system that was difficult to navigate for non-residents. And we couldn't get it sent from home.

turca

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:

Whoever wants to hire a harlot will hire one anywhere he/she goes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics