Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
So where was the party?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:12 pm
Looks like it didn't go well.
Comedian in pants, short sleeve, tattoo....
What has the frum world come to???

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:26 pm
Amother orange, she's obviously not frum. She's a total disgrace to yiddishkeit.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
Please dont start this discussion again.

Your can move on if not interested but pls don’t tell others to.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. Twas in the original place because they were afraid of getting sued. It looked like it sucked. I didn’t see food nor booze. The crowd looked like...... loosers. The place was set up like a mini school lunchroom.

You went? Or passed by?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
I find this interesting.
One of the things people against this were saying was that giving in and allowing a small breach in tznius- letting women speak and tell jokes in front of men- will inevitably lead to greater breaches in tznius.
Seems that was true.

Aveira goreret Aveira....

asmileaday

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
I don't follow her on Instagram but checked her page to see where the party was held and honestly she has an anti halacha attitude. She made fun of the need for a mechitza, made fun of covering your knees etc. It's sad that once people decide they want to be memorable and different, they feel the need to tear down halacha in the process.

This. I was very ambivalent about the whole issue. I understood both sides. I didn't really feel like having an opinion.
But watching the videos I feel she took it too far. She was making fun of her grandmother commenting about her and her Mom's skirt lengths. The whole attitude was disrespectful.
IMO they messed up. They could've kept it funny and neutral without making fun of yiddishkeit. I'm disappointed.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:36 pm
asmileaday wrote:
This. I was very ambivalent about the whole issue. I understood both sides. I didn't really feel like having an opinion.
But watching the videos I feel she took it too far. She was making fun of her grandmother commenting about her and her Mom's skirt lengths. The whole attitude was disrespectful.
IMO they messed up. They could've kept it funny and neutral without making fun of yiddishkeit. I'm disappointed.

And that's after they officially signed a contract with the restaurant that they won't say anything at all against any form of yiddishkeit at the event. (according to the daily news article).

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:06 pm
So the party wasn’t your speed. Isn’t lashon hara also a sin?

pause

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:16 pm
So right, why is anyone here surprised?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:21 pm
pause wrote:
So right, why is anyone here surprised?

I'm genuinely surprised. Flatbush Girl modeled herself as pushing the limits and trying to "empower" frum women. I didn't agree with her but fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But after watching those videos I realize she's all out against following halacha properly. That's not just an issue of live and let live, this is something our community leaders have a responsibility to speak out against

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised. Flatbush Girl modeled herself as pushing the limits and trying to "empower" frum women. I didn't agree with her but fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But after watching those videos I realize she's all out against following halacha properly. That's not just an issue of live and let live, this is something our community leaders have a responsibility to speak out against

Why is anyone surprised? She went on the radio and all over the press maligning rabbis, and badmouthing the “ultra orthodox community” as she put it. I cringed with horror and shame when I heard the chillul Hashem she made in her many interviews with the press. I’m just sorry the hashgacha backed down and gave her a platform in a frum place.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:29 pm
I'm guessing the Garden of Eat In (and any other kosher place) will probably be "booked" if she ever wants to have another event. Who needs to deal with troublemakers?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:39 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why is anyone surprised? She went on the radio and all over the press maligning rabbis, and badmouthing the “ultra orthodox community” as she put it. I cringed with horror and shame when I heard the chillul Hashem she made in her many interviews with the press. I’m just sorry the hashgacha backed down and gave her a platform in a frum place.

I didn't hear the radio interviews and I didn't see her Instastories, only her posts. Maybe I live under a rock but yes, I'm surprised (horrified really)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:41 pm
Cheiny wrote:

A restaurant is not a 'frum place'. A shul is.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:35 pm
asmileaday wrote:

Eh it was funny. And there was no singing from the party posted on her instagram.

I think Flatbushgirl is great and dresses perfectly tzniously.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. Twas in the original place because they were afraid of getting sued. It looked like it sucked. I didn’t see food nor booze. The crowd looked like...... loosers. The place was set up like a mini school lunchroom.

I think you meant to write that you have dedicated your time and energy to following the activities of people you perceive to be "losers" not "loosers".

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 9:05 pm
With topics like these, I often think that there is not much point in discussing them because everyone will just keep seeing things their way. Those that think that the performers are the greatest gift to humanity, and heroines who are representing great changes, will keep thinking that way. Those that think that this is the worst thing to happen in yiddishkeit, will keep thinking that way.

I really wanted to believe that everyone was overreacting. I wanted to believe that this was an innocent plan for an innocent party, and bored people are just looking to make issues. Well unfortunately, they have proven that wrong, and although I had hoped that they would be smarter and be extra careful to prove the naysayers wrong, they literally played right into their hands.

And even that would be perfectly ok if they were just upfront and forthright about it. Just call a spade a spade!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
With topics like these, I often think that there is not much point in discussing them because everyone will just keep seeing things their way. Those that think that the performers are the greatest gift to humanity, and heroines who are representing great changes, will keep thinking that way. Those that think that this is the worst thing to happen in yiddishkeit, will keep thinking that way.

I really wanted to believe that everyone was overreacting. I wanted to believe that this was an innocent plan for an innocent party, and bored people are just looking to make issues. Well unfortunately, they have proven that wrong, and although I had hoped that they would be smarter and be extra careful to prove the naysayers wrong, they literally played right into their hands.

And even that would be perfectly ok if they were just upfront and forthright about it. Just call a spade a spade!

You changed your mind apparently. How did they prove them wrong?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:

I think I'm a "they" here.

What was proven wrong?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
You changed your mind apparently. How did they prove them wrong?

Right. I had hoped that like they claimed, it was just going to be an innocent party that would have made sense to perform for whom it was marketed to (regular boro park and flatbush crowd). Not quite how it turned out in the end.

I don't even necessarily have a problem with how it turned out in the end. Im sure there is a target audience for people who are looking for this type of entertainment and humor. Just don't try to pretend that it was supposed to be for regular boro park people.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics