Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Update on Family That Attempted to Marry Off 13-Year-Old

Yael

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:24 am
A Jerusalem family made the news last month, after their attempts to marry off their 13-year-old daughter were foiled by police, with the help of concerned members of the community. The ceremony, kept secret, was held in the Mea Shaarim neighborhood. Police were familiar with the 13-year-old bride, as she had been abducted by her mother and reported missing two months prior.

Though the most recent wedding attempt was stopped, the family’s 16-year-old son is currently married.

As is to be expected, the ordeal was the culmination of a lengthy family history of abuse and poor mental health. Recently, the children’s mother reportedly joined the “shawl cult,” an extremist sub-group which requires women to wear full-body ‘burqa’-style coverings. The group has been condemned by the vast majority of mainstream charedi authorities. After attempting to bring her daughters into the cult with her, askanim intervened.

Both parents have now surrendered custody of the children, the youngest of whom is just 6 years old. An emergency fund page includes a letter from Rav Yoel Wallerstein, an askan whose family has taken in the newly-orphaned children.

Though the Wallerstein family and others have dedicated their time and energy to rehabilitating the children, they lack the funds necessary to cover their basic needs, including food, clothing, school tuition, and medical expenses.

A collection has been taken up to cover these expenses, with the hopes of creating some security for them until they have been raised to adulthood.

The fund also includes a letter from Rav Naftali Nussbaum shlit"a, in which the situation is described as tragic, and highly urgent.

"You can rest assured," reads fund text, "that you are mamash putting supper on the plate of these kids."

Donations are being collected here.

Sponsored Post

Amalia

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:31 pm
OMG

Why are these people all covered up? Is it to protect their identities or is that “the look”?

chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:36 pm
It's how they dress

Amalia

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:37 pm
chestnut wrote:
It's how they dress

NOOOOOOOOOOO
OMG

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:57 pm
Even their eyes aren't open. How do they walk on street like that without bumping into stuff?

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:58 pm
This is part of the Lev Tahor?

crust

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:02 pm
Is this real? Did someone see this irl?

chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:09 pm
Yes, it's real. No, it's not part of LT. It's known as a Burqa sect or something like that. They are in Israel, but some were spotted in monsey, from what I heard.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:39 pm
Some wear cones on their heads & something to hold fabric away from their bodies so they look like a mountain instead of a person. I saw some Lag Bomer in Miron, & was afraid if they're not Arabs

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:19 am
They practice an extreme form of tznius with no rabbinical backing. Often their husbands disagree with the extent.
They wear 3 or 4 skirts, only navy or black, all covering the ankle. They wear a thick lace over their face, they could see through it. There is a skirt like thing that is worn around the face going over her head to her hips or so in the back, past her waist in front. The shawl is underneath.
The more extreme ones try to disguise the shape of their head and nose.

(My friend's Dd dressed up as one for Purim, she told me all the new "halachos" she learned. She has a friend who is friendly with many of these ladies.)

Most of them are Anglos.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:22 am
dankbar wrote:
Even their eyes aren't open. How do they walk on street like that without bumping into stuff?

Dunno about the women who dress like this, but I know someone who, on milium, was assigned to guard in the Old City of Jerusalem and saw a man who kept his eyes always pointed at his feet walk into walls, despite the attempts of others to shout directions to him.

ludicrous

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:42 am
Iymnok wrote:

(My friend's Dd dressed up as one for Purim, she told me all the new "halachos" she learned. She has a friend who is friendly with many of these ladies.)

Most of them are Anglos.

Why are most of them anglos? How in the world do they get involved in these groups?

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:22 am
ludicrous wrote:
Why are most of them anglos? How in the world do they get involved in these groups?

The leader is a lady, I believe, who's very dynamic. They see it as very tznius.
Unfortunately, there's also abuse going on. People were jailed

roses

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:22 am
ludicrous wrote:

Mental illness

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:26 am
ludicrous wrote:

Making aliyah is a bit like being chozer beteshuvah - in the beginning, you lose your identity, and rebuild yourself from the ground up. During that initial period, you are very vulnerable to the opinions of people around you. If someone who is powerful and charismatic is leading this group, and meets with people when they just made aliyah/just became religious, then I can see a lot of olim falling into this trap.

sirel

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:10 am
the vast majority of them are baalei teshuva without supportive family or community

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:01 am
chestnut wrote:
The leader is a lady, I believe, who's very dynamic. They see it as very tznius.
Unfortunately, there's also abuse going on. People were jailed

That is correct. They are not associated with Lev Tahor, but they are very similar. The difference is that a woman is in charge, and she preys especially on women who have been abused or abandoned. There have been allegations of zexual abuse by this woman against young girls. Crying

I have seen these women around from time to time, and it always makes me so sad. They find their way around either by looking at the ground and only going on prescribed routes, or by showing only one eye. They are never allowed to look through two eyes at the same time when out in public.

tf

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 5:11 pm
Oy!!! Nebech! I was happy that LT is finally being dismantled. Now this?!?!?! Sounds worse
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics