Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mega Millions winner bought ticket near Chabad Brookville

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 1:47 pm
Yesterday's Mega Millions winner ($400+ millions) bought the winning ticket right near Chabad of Brookville.

I always wonder why the big lottery winners are rarely Jewish, never mind Orthodox.

I was curious how Jewish the area is and looked for the closest Chabad. Its a 2 minute walk.

Maybe maybe.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Yesterday's Mega Millions winner ($400+ millions) bought the winning ticket right near Chabad of Brookville.

I always wonder why the big lottery winners are rarely Jewish, never mind Orthodox.

I was curious how Jewish the area is and looked for the closest Chabad. Its a 2 minute walk.

Maybe maybe.

Because as a % of the general population Jews are tiny.... and there are certainly strong opinions against gambling

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:11 pm
I always wonder why the frum news sites (at least one of YWN, VIN, and Matzav, haven't paid attention to the differences) cover the lottery.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:12 pm
There quite a few very wealthy individuals within the Orthodox community that actually became rich from winning the lottery. These people usually don't publicize it intentionally.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 5:31 pm
It looks like the Brookville area is an extremely wealthy area with houses selling over $5 million.

https://www.zillow.com/brookvi.....d-ny/

I wonder if the winner of the $400+ millions is an owner of one of those Brookville houses, who may have bought loads of tickets, or the cleaning help of one of the homeowners in Brookville, haha.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
It looks like the Brookville area is an extremely wealthy area with houses selling over $5 million.

https://www.zillow.com/brookvi.....d-ny/

I wonder if the winner of the $400+ millions is an owner of one of those Brookville houses, who may have bought loads of tickets, or the cleaning help of one of the homeowners in Brookville, haha.

Who also may have bought loads of tickets. Not sure what is funny here.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
Who also may have bought loads of tickets. Not sure what is funny here.

Not hysterical kind of funny, but since cleaning help has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less discretionary income to spend on lottery tickets, with a one chance in a million of winning, than owners of 5 million dollar homes do, it would be "funny" IF someone in the cleaning help financial bracket won the $400+ millions with ONE ticket, while the wealthy usually risk more than the price of one ticket and more often than not, dont win.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
Not hysterical kind of funny, but since cleaning help has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less discretionary income to spend on lottery tickets, with a one chance in a million of winning, than owners of 5 million dollar homes do, it would be "funny" IF someone in the cleaning help financial bracket won the $400+ millions with ONE ticket, while the wealthy usually risk more than the price of one ticket and more often than not, dont win.

Do the wealthy typically spend a lot of money on lottery tickets?

What do I know.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe maybe.

At least as of 10-15 years ago it’s a very Jewish area but not frum (all reform and conservative). It might not be as Jewish anymore in recent years.

ally

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:

Charlie and the chocolate factory....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries