Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD, 12, going to camp 1st time. What shtick does she need
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:39 am
IYH, DD will be going to sleep away camp for the first time. I've heard that girls bring special laundry bags, rugs, pillows, collapsible chairs, funky linen...I'm cluless! Can someone please advise me what I should be buying and from where, preferably online? It's a "shticky" kind of camp, and I want her to fit in...ty!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:42 am
Which camp is she going to?

My girls went to Camp Bais Yaakov, and they did not need any extra shtick there - the girls took plain linen, laundry bags, etc.....no frills! They did take along an extra set of Walmart-type drawers to keep their clothes in.

However this can vary by camp...my friend told me that in the camp her daughter attended, a matching shower caddy and laundry bag was a must.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:42 am
RUGS?
CHAIRS?

When I went to camp all we had to bring was a sleeping bag.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:44 am
Would rather not say the name if the camp, but it's in the catskills, and I heard this is what the girls do. Alot of girls wear tutus too!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:45 am
There are alot of camps in the catskills and there are differences between types and what kids bring.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:48 am
What?? What type of camp is this?? What are we teaching our girls if they "need" to bring these things to camp????
I honestly would not send to such a camp. Camp is expensive enough as is.
Just make sure her linen is cute and not shabby and her clothes are somewhat up to date so she shouldn't feel left out.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Would rather not say the name if the camp, but it's in the catskills, and I heard this is what the girls do. Alot of girls wear tutus too!

Are you being serious about the tutus, or joking?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:51 am
amother wrote:

My sisters daughters went to Girls Zone and the tutus was a thing and so was funky suspenders. But my sis didn't know about it before. When the kids got to camp and saw that it was a thing, they called her and she ordered it and brought it to them on visiting day.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
Are you being serious about the tutus, or joking?

They wear it on top of their skirts. If you are familiar with Shimi Adar, the Zumba instructor who performs and is a camp director, she wears that as one of her uniforms and so do all the staff etc.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
What?? What type of camp is this?? What are we teaching our girls if they "need" to bring these things to camp????
I honestly would not send to such a camp. Camp is expensive enough as is.
Just make sure her linen is cute and not shabby and her clothes are somewhat up to date so she shouldn't feel left out.

And what about the girls whose parents can’t afford “cute” linen and “up to date” clothes? I do think this remark is somewhat insensitive.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:06 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My sisters daughters went to Girls Zone and the tutus was a thing and so was funky suspenders. But my sis didn't know about it before. When the kids got to camp and saw that it was a thing, they called her and she ordered it and brought it to them on visiting day.

Yeah, DD went to the Zone as staff, and she took her Purim costume along (she was a peacock). Glad she made more use of it....

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
And what about the girls whose parents can’t afford “cute” linen and “up to date” clothes? I do think this remark is somewhat insensitive.

When my girls went to CBY, no one cared about your linen. You brought the oldest set in the house - you know, the one you don't care if they come home without it....

As to "up-to-date clothes", I have always dressed my girls nicely on a shoestring budget....and it was perfectly sufficient. Sales, etc...

If you send your kids to camp 2nd-half (which is often cheaper anyway), you can wait for all the sales that start the minute everyone has left for first half.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:08 pm
Ladies!!! Please!!!!

I know what I'm doing, this camp is a good fit for her.
I didn't come here to debate if I should send her or not!
I didn't come here to complain about the prices of the shtick
I didn't come here to complain about how expensive camp is
Yes they wear tutus on top of skirts.
They have good, clean, healthy fun!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:

So they can afford thousands of dollars for camp, but not the $10 difference between plain and cute sheets?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:13 pm
So odd. Sorry.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
Ladies!!! Please!!!!

We can't help you much without knowing which camp this is. As I've posted and others have chimed in, there are different types of camps, etc...

But in the Zone, they bring tutus and Disney Princess costumes, etc...I know DD went to night activity in her peacock getup (blue multi-colored tutu over skirt, blue tee, and peacock feather wreath on her head). If this is the Zone, I'd be happy to ask DD for you what else your DD might need.

nechamashifra

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:18 pm
lol. because this has to be a joke

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
We can't help you much without knowing which camp this is. As I've posted and others have chimed in, there are different types of camps, etc...

But in the Zone, they bring tutus and Disney Princess costumes, etc...I know DD went to night activity in her peacock getup (blue multi-colored tutu over skirt, blue tee, and peacock feather wreath on her head). If this is the Zone, I'd be happy to ask DD for you what else your DD might need.

I just asked my 12 yr old niece and she confirmed that the shticky things were tutus, funky suspenders and face paint. But she said in terms of personal items and things in the bunkhouse everyone did their own thing, there wasn't any specific shticky thing. But she went to the Zone and this was two years ago. I'm not sure how much has changed.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Ladies!!! Please!!!!

A lot of camps post photos of activities online. It may behind a password wall, but they should be willing to provide it once she's registered. Look to see what the girls are wearing.

Or ask if there's a parent you could speak to about what the girls generally bring.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
They wear it on top of their skirts. If you are familiar with Shimi Adar, the Zumba instructor who performs and is a camp director, she wears that as one of her uniforms and so do all the staff etc.

Which camp did Shimi Adar switch to last year after she left Oorah?

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children