Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do white kitchen cabinets stay looking nice?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:15 am
We are getting a lot of new things in our kitchen due to an insurance claim.

I think white cabinets look really nice, but I am not great at keeping my house and kitchen spotless. I don't have a cleaning lady. Is it hard to keep them looking clean? Do they get stained easily? Do they wipe down easily?

If you have white kitchen cabinets, please post how they hold up, what you have to do or not do to keep them looking nice and if you would recommend them. Are there different materials they are made out of? What can you tell me about the materials and how they hold up?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 5:48 am
White anything eventually yellows. Except white porcelain and glass, but you can’t make cabinets out of those. Depending on material, it may stain. Every speck shows. On the plus side, it’s light and bright and when it’s clean, it looks it. Unless it stains.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 6:03 am
I have white wood cabinets for about 5 years now and I love them.
They require being wiped down once a week, plus more when you spot some black fingerprint or stain.

But detergent or lots of water will ruin them.
I wipe them down all the time with wet (not soaked ) bounty.
Mine are still perfect except some of the edges that are peeling but that’s becusse of the painted wood- would happen in any color.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:31 am
I have white cubitac cabinets. Forgot what the exact material is, like a processed wood kinda thing. U can google it. Either way the outside is not pourous wood, its very easy to wipe down and clean and I absolutely love it. So happy I didnt listen to everyone who told me not to go with white. And I have little kids that are very messy

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:43 am
White formica.
It came with the house. I love how light and bright it is.
It wipes down super easy and the finish is a matte finish.
My mother has almond color glossy formica that's a breeze to clean.

The cleaning lady wipes it down once a week. Looks clean throughout the week.

Only place where it stained was high up where the oil and heat from frying shpritzed. The convection oven is very low (black and stainless steal that wipes down easily even the grease) and there is just spots that look greasy on the cabinet above. It's still like this from the houses previous owners even though the kitchen is fairly new (5 years)
Noone notices it. But I do and it annoys me. If you go with matte formica you can put a nice hood that goes all the way to the ceiling you'll avoid that. Glossy finish formica isn't a problem.

Also, unsolicited advice, feel free to ignore.
if your thinking of putting a black and white kichen, think again before putting in black or very dark counter tops.
My siblings friends and neighbors (including myslef! ) who have black countertops are always complaining about it. You can't see dirt. Unless it's water stains Punch. And surprisingly, dark counter tops that are formica look better after a few years (even with hard water) than granite.
Granite needs to be craped and repolished yearly here. Or it looks terrible. (Hard water.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
White formica.
It came with the house. I love how light and bright it is.
It wipes down super easy and the finish is a matte finish.
My mother has almond color glossy formica that's a breeze to clean.

The cleaning lady wipes it down once a week. Looks clean throughout the week.

Only place where it stained was high up where the oil and heat from frying shpritzed. The convection oven is very low (black and stainless steal that wipes down easily even the grease) and there is just spots that look greasy on the cabinet above. It's still like this from the houses previous owners even though the kitchen is fairly new (5 years)
Noone notices it. But I do and it annoys me. If you go with matte formica you can put a nice hood that goes all the way to the ceiling you'll avoid that. Glossy finish formica isn't a problem.

Also, unsolicited advice, feel free to ignore.
if your thinking of putting a black and white kichen, think again before putting in black or very dark counter tops.
My siblings friends and neighbors (including myslef! ) who have black countertops are always complaining about it. You can't see dirt. Unless it's water stains Punch. And surprisingly, dark counter tops that are formica look better after a few years (even with hard water) than granite.
Granite needs to be craped and repolished yearly here. Or it looks terrible. (Hard water.)

Where is here?

No I don't want a black and white kitchen! I want white cabinets with a light-colored granite counter. Something very pretty. The problem is I can't figure out what floor would match all of this especially since the surrounding rooms I'll have wood for so I can't put in a different type of wood for just in the kitchen. I'm not really sure.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
Where is here?

No I don't want a black and white kitchen! I want white cabinets with a light-colored granite counter. Something very pretty. The problem is I can't figure out what floor would match all of this especially since the surrounding rooms I'll have wood for so I can't put in a different type of wood for just in the kitchen. I'm not really sure.

You can definitely put in a different floor in your kitchen. I have dark wood floors in all the rooms off the kitchen and I put shiny white tile in the kitchen and it looks incredible. We also have white cabinets with light granite, like you were saying. Its beautiful. We have very hard water where we live, all we have to do is seal the counters yearly (extremely easy. Its a spray)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
Where is here?

Here. Where I live. We have hard water. What kind of water do you have?
Counters can really be any color with white cabinets.... sounds nice what you're doing with the counters.

Floors don't have to be matchy matchy. It should blend together nicely.
Also, white stained looking ceramic tiles are always neat!

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:26 am
White shiny Formica slay cabinets are a breeze to take care of!

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:37 am
I love my white cabinets.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:38 am
zaq wrote:
White anything eventually yellows. Except white porcelain and glass, but you can’t make cabinets out of those. Depending on material, it may stain. Every speck shows. On the plus side, it’s light and bright and when it’s clean, it looks it. Unless it stains.

My white cabinets are not yellowing in the slightest. They stayed pristine. I had them more than 5 years, and they look brand new. Mine white cabinets are upper cabinets. Unlike most posters here, I rarely have to wipe them down. Every once in a while the handles get cleaned.

A great counter surface is quartzite. We have white quartzite which is gorgeous.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:42 am
My white cabinets are making me miserable. If youre not the clean freak type then stay away. Thanks me later.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:01 am
I'm not having trouble with keeping the white cabinets clean. You do have to wipe them down every so often. Even with dark wood cabinets, you wouldn't anyways want the dirt there just because it's not visible. My biggest problem is with the chipping paint - I'm guessing stained wood probably ages better.

What I do have a problem is lighter color floors - they have to be mopped more often than I want to do them.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:09 am
amother wrote:
My white cabinets are making me miserable. If youre not the clean freak type then stay away. Thanks me later.

I am a clean freak. I am constantly having everything polished in my house. They pass my test.

I think it is a question of the material used.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:12 am
Simple1 wrote:
I'm not having trouble with keeping the white cabinets clean. You do have to wipe them down every so often. Even with dark wood cabinets, you wouldn't anyways want the dirt there just because it's not visible. My biggest problem is with the chipping paint - I'm guessing stained wood probably ages better.

What I do have a problem is lighter color floors - they have to be mopped more often than I want to do them.

My problem is black floors. I also have white floors which aren't as bad.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:16 am
My problem is that I have sheep IKEA cabinets and they get water damage

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:35 am
ectomorph wrote:
My problem is that I have sheep IKEA cabinets and they get water damage

Mine were not so cheap. You could be correct. I use my kitchen heavy duty.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:40 am
I just want to point out to all you white cabinet lovers that white will eventually (is already) going out of "style." In ten years from now you'll look at then and think: UCH! What was a I thinking???

Just ten years ago anyone who had white cabinets was clearly a throw-back from an earlier time. Ten years ago, white cabinets looked cheap and made us think: poor, old fashioned, yunchy.

And now it's back, but swiftly going. So think twice before you buy a style that you "love."
Your love may just be keeping up with the Joneses. If it's REAL love, your personal taste, fo for it. But if not, if you're just being swayed by the current, quickly fading obsession with white, then skip and go find a color you really enjoy.

I happen to love gray; it has always been my favorite color, and as I type, dark gray, almost charcoal cabinets are being installed in my kitchen, baruch Hashem. Yes, it is "in style," but most importantly, I will love it for years.

To really value your purchase, make sure you really love it. Did you love white ten years ago? Do you think you'll love it ten years from now? If yes, go for it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:46 am
Ha, I didnt even realize white was in style . I got it because I love how it makes my kitchen look-so bright and clean...why would anyone ever design their kitchen by whats in style? Thats just weird...lol theyd have to redo it every couple of years.

mom!

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:49 am
Can be wiped easily with a baby wipe.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics