Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do white kitchen cabinets stay looking nice?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:55 am
I have a gray wood look vinyl tile floor in my kitchen with white cabinets. I wanted a warm look and white kitchens tend to look like a lab. I didn't want a stark dark floor either. I am in love with my floor!!!

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
I just want to point out to all you white cabinet lovers that white will eventually (is already) going out of "style." In ten years from now you'll look at then and think: UCH! What was a I thinking???

Just ten years ago anyone who had white cabinets was clearly a throw-back from an earlier time. Ten years ago, white cabinets looked cheap and made us think: poor, old fashioned, yunchy.

And now it's back, but swiftly going. So think twice before you buy a style that you "love."
Your love may just be keeping up with the Joneses. If it's REAL love, your personal taste, fo for it. But if not, if you're just being swayed by the current, quickly fading obsession with white, then skip and go find a color you really enjoy.

I happen to love gray; it has always been my favorite color, and as I type, dark gray, almost charcoal cabinets are being installed in my kitchen, baruch Hashem. Yes, it is "in style," but most importantly, I will love it for years.

To really value your purchase, make sure you really love it. Did you love white ten years ago? Do you think you'll love it ten years from now? If yes, go for it.

I made my first white kitchen in 1999. It was stunning then. I loved white kitchens twenty years ago. I moved to a new house and installed white kitchen upper cabinets again.

My kitchen is still stylish as the manufacturer wants to feature it on the cover of his catalog. That should tell you how well white holds up.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:39 am
I just finished a gut kitchen remodel and went with honey/caramel stained white oak cabinets. I chose them because I loved them and since they were custom, I selected the exact color stain I wanted - Ironically after rejecting a couple of samples, I looked at a chair I had inherited from my mother and said THAT'S THE COLOR I WANT and everyone agreed. The cabinet make actually took the chair to make sure the color was correct.

That said, as another poster wrote, white kitchens have been very trendy for several years and if you follow trends, they are on their way "out" with wood kitchens becoming popular. Take a look at some of the super high end kitchens designed by people like Christopher Peacock to get some ideas of what is possible.

I don't care about trends. I just prefer wood to white kitchens so my advice is to follow your heart.

That said, white is slightly more difficult to maintain than a wood stain for several reasons. The most obvious is that it is going to show every bit of grime, drip and fingerprint. Of course one wants a clean kitchen so even if a drip is more disguised in a wood kitchen, one still would want to clean but the difference is between wiping your cabinets every week or so and having to be completely on top of them or they look grimy.

Also white itself is more subject to wear and tear. The best quality white cabinets are painted but even the best factory finished white paint is less durable than a wood stain. It will also show wear and tear from kids banging into it or whatever. For example, paint will chip versus if wood stain gets a dent, it doesn't show like it would on a white painted surface.

As to other white surfaces - thermofoil is TERRIBLE. It will peel and stain. It is also prone to water damage so sink cabinets will also start showing much more damage potentially.

I had no interest in laminate/formica cabinet doors. To me they are not attractive. Laminate/formica is a very functional surface. I had my sink cabinet lined in formica and also had all my shelves wrapped in formica so they are easy to wipe up and clean.

You didn't ask but AVOID either a white or black floor or even a dark floor because you will be a slave to keeping it looking presentable.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:53 pm
Thank you, everyone! I really like bright airy well light rooms. I don't have them a lot because I can never afford to renovate my house
But if I had my pick, that's what I like.

However, I am also not so great at upkeep and I need sonething easy to maintain!

I have heard of luxury vinal plank flooring. I would get a neutral color.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
I just want to point out to all you white cabinet lovers that white will eventually (is already) going out of "style." In ten years from now you'll look at then and think: UCH! What was a I thinking???

Just ten years ago anyone who had white cabinets was clearly a throw-back from an earlier time. Ten years ago, white cabinets looked cheap and made us think: poor, old fashioned, yunchy.

And now it's back, but swiftly going. So think twice before you buy a style that you "love."
Your love may just be keeping up with the Joneses. If it's REAL love, your personal taste, fo for it. But if not, if you're just being swayed by the current, quickly fading obsession with white, then skip and go find a color you really enjoy.

I happen to love gray; it has always been my favorite color, and as I type, dark gray, almost charcoal cabinets are being installed in my kitchen, baruch Hashem. Yes, it is "in style," but most importantly, I will love it for years.

To really value your purchase, make sure you really love it. Did you love white ten years ago? Do you think you'll love it ten years from now? If yes, go for it.

Its actually funny that you are saying this because im choosing cabinets for a house and was told the exact same thing. the woman by the counter store informed that that all the designers are starting to let go of gray since its going out now.

On the other hand, I feel that white is more timeless then most colors and easier to match thing too.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Its actually funny that you are saying this because im choosing cabinets for a house and was told the exact same thing. the woman by the counter store informed that that all the designers are starting to let go of gray since its going out now.

On the other hand, I feel that white is more timeless then most colors and easier to match thing too.

I'm a big fan of personal taste. Know what you like, and if spending the money, invest in that, and only that. Happens to be I'm really in love with white beachy floors, gray tones and metalic-look tiles. And I'm doing some really moody blacks combined with grays and whites. Yes, it's coming into style, the blacks. But I liked it before then. Nowadays, it's just more socially acceptable to whatever you want, an extreme is in. I like extreme -- but done in a classy way. To offset my charcoal cabinets, I'm doing a blue-tinged white. A real stark white that has the clean look, but the warm and class of gray.

White is actually heading into off-whites, in the design world. But I hate the look in a kitchen. To each their own. Just do what YOU like, people. YOU have to live there.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a big fan of personal taste. Know what you like, and if spending the money, invest in that, and only that. Happens to be I'm really in love with white beachy floors, gray tones and metalic-look tiles. And I'm doing some really moody blacks combined with grays and whites. Yes, it's coming into style, the blacks. But I liked it before then. Nowadays, it's just more socially acceptable to whatever you want, an extreme is in. I like extreme -- but done in a classy way. To offset my charcoal cabinets, I'm doing a blue-tinged white. A real stark white that has the clean look, but the warm and class of gray.

White is actually heading into off-whites, in the design world. But I hate the look in a kitchen. To each their own. Just do what YOU like, people. YOU have to live there.

Blue tinged white WHAT?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
Blue tinged white WHAT?

Countertop

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:37 pm
If you like a light look maybe you can go with natural color wood?
So many different color choices for countertops and floors.

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:43 pm
Woods are harder to care for and sensitive to water. care for Formica is easy and has no s sensitivity.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:

Indeed.

The fact is that people don't re-do their kitchens every 5 years to keep up with the latest "trends." So do what you love, and don't worry about it.

My kitchen was last re-done about 20 years ago, before we purchased the house. The white cabinets are still pretty much in perfect condition (one drawer has a little heat damage due to a blech turned on a little too high, but I don't think anyone else has noticed it), as are the counter tops. So maybe they're "dated," but they look good and they're functional. And I actually do like them.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:08 pm
I know what I like. Light colors to brighten up a small space. But I just don't know how they will look in 10 years. We wear things well and I don't have cleaning help

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:07 pm
Would you consider mixing and matching? Some people like to do bottom cabinets a darker tone, and the upper cabinets white to brighten up. Islands, too, can be a different color than the cabinets.

You could do white cabinets up top, where grimy little hands are less likely to touch, and any color you like on the bottom.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
I know what I like. Light colors to brighten up a small space. But I just don't know how they will look in 10 years. We wear things well and I don't have cleaning help

More than color is the quality. I wish I could show you my white kitchen. There isn't a blemish on any cabinets.

nylon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:17 pm
I have dark wood and it's just as hard to keep clean.

IMO, white is the color that may bob up and down in popularity but will never really go away. I think the white on white on white style will look dated, but I've seen white cabinets from every decade.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:26 pm
When we were doing our kitchen, I posted here on Imamother and the poster RubberDucky said something that greatly impacted my color decisions. She said that vertical surfaces affect the mood/brightness more than horizontal surfaces. Which means that the color of your cabinets will have a stronger effect than the color of your counters. Floors also have a strong impact because of the large amount of surface they cover. \

As much as I wanted the bright airy look, I am a practical person, so we chose white cabinets (to maximize the brightness), black/gray/white granite that looks like marble (to avoid needing to wipe it down every few minutes, once a day is enough), and gray wood-look floors (not too dark and not too light, gives just the right warmth and super practical as far as seeing dirt). Stainless steel appliances, cabinet handles and faucets. I love how it came out.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:38 pm
My mother's creamy white glossy formica kitchen that was put in in the late 1980s is still nice looking! Well done kitchen. And I dont think it ever really looked very out of style.
Backslash is formica too. Same as caninets.
She did change the countertops 10 years ago after an overnight bleach leak accident that ruined it.
(Don't worry. There where no small children in the house. She tried to soak something overnight and the bowl had a leak).
Floors were changed around 15 years ago from the original high traffic vinyl tiles that were peeling the design to porcelain tiles. (Supposedly they are easier on your feet that regular ceramic tiles. I call bs.)

Any good quality kitchen is an investment.
Wood, formica, painted.... Doesn't matter as much what kind as long as the quality is good. Bad quality formica I'd a disaster. My sister's wood kitchen in her last apt started to fall apart after a few weeks!!! The kitchen in the apt before that looked almost brand new after 10 years of heavy use! She had a home based food business. So it had have you heavy use.
Choose wisely. Choose quality over anything else.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
More than color is the quality. I wish I could show you my white kitchen. There isn't a blemish on any cabinets.

Can you describe the quality? What are your cabinets etc called?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:07 am
Amarante wrote:
Take a look at some of the super high end kitchens designed by people like Christopher Peacock to get some ideas of what is possible.

Wow! Just wow! Beautiful classic kitchens! Thanks for the inspiration.

(Aint no contemporary formica kitchens here).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics