Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What Does Your Toddler Eat For Supper??
1  2  Next

mom!

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:24 am
I am running out of ideas.... open to suggestions please!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:25 am
Whatever the rest of the family is eating!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:32 am
shnitzel dipped in ketchup
pancakes
eggs
french toast
cottage cheese latkes
lasagna
broccoli
mac & cheese
frozen pizza/ketchup on cheese on bread
meatballs
potatoes
pastrami
hot dogs - cut in pieces dipped in ketchup (older one eats it with a bun)

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:37 am
Give him/her exactly what you eat. My daughter has never been given kiddie meals: she is offered what is served and usually likes it. If she doesn’t she gets a yogurt or a cheese stick.

cuffs

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:43 am
My little ones love soups! I sneak in all kinds of things in there even meat!
They also love pasta with chicken and veggies. Schnitzel is always a hit. Rice with carrots and peas. Diced potatoes and sweet potatoes is a great side dish

bamba

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:02 am
my child eats main meal in school so for supper I give pita pizza or toasted sandwich.
Schnitzel
Chips
Veggies with rice cakes/ crackers
Hummus and crackers
Scrambled eggs
Sandwich

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:18 am
I serve my babies what the family eats from when they're really little. They get used to liking more types of food and not being so picky.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
I serve my babies what the family eats from when they're really little. They get used to liking more types of food and not being so picky.
just be grateful that your children aren't picky don't judge what other people do

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:35 am
I find that if I serve "open concept" or buffet style the kids eat more. I'm also not concerned if they don't eat a balance meal because studies have shown that over time, kids will make balanced choices even if it does not appear that way at meal time. If my kids don't eat that is fine too and probably just means they will be hungrier in the morning.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:36 am
Emerald, may I know where "judging" others comes in here?????? Do you see any judging in my post? People just LOVE to use this word.
Besides, if you get baby used to eating all sorts of foods when they're little, it helps them not he picky as toddlers. I also never force my kids too eat, if they dont want to eat I dont fight with them.
I learnt all this from experience with my oldest, she gave me such a hard time eating, it consumed my entire day. Till one day I just put the food in front of her and walked away. Most of it ended up in her mouth bh.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
just be grateful that your children aren't picky don't judge what other people do

It’s not a judgement thing. I personally believe that picky eaters are taught to Be so rather than born so, but either way, if you teach your child to take it or leave it, most times they’ll choose to eat rather than move hungry. There are some nights that my child tells me that she doesn’t like the dinner, but she usually finds one thing to eat (I serve a main, a starch side and a veg side) If she eats dinner nicely she gets ‘dessert’ A Hershey kiss) and if she doesn’t, she doesn’t. The other night she ate a new food (cabbage kugel) so nicely that I gave her 2 Hershey kisses. But there are definitely nights where she says to me, I don’t want desser tonight, and I remind her if she’s hungry later that night, she’ll be out of luck and that breakfast is 12 hours away.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:47 am
nchr wrote:
I find that if I serve "open concept" or buffet style the kids eat more. I'm also not concerned if they don't eat a balance meal because studies have shown that over time, kids will make balanced choices even if it does not appear that way at meal time. If my kids don't eat that is fine too and probably just means they will be hungrier in the morning.

Buffet style is great and also has a very free feel. My MIL made eating a horrific situation for her children according to what I've witnessed although I haven't discussed in with DH. She'd walk around supper with a belt around her neck and smack kids who were not eating properly, making a mess, and more and not allow the kids to get up from the table if they didn't finish eating so they could sleep at the table or be served their dinner for supper. When I saw that I decided I couldn't do formal meals because I figured it would trigger DH even though I never asked him if thats the case. Anyways my kids are really good eaters not necessarily in quantity but they do try a lot and I think buffet is the answer especially if you can get colors into things.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:40 pm
Anything he can dip

blessedjmom

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:42 pm
Tonight- chicken from chicken bottoms. And rice.
They snacked on cucumbers before we sat down for dinner

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Emerald, may I know where "judging" others comes in here?????? Do you see any judging in my post? People just LOVE to use this word.
Besides, if you get baby used to eating all sorts of foods when they're little, it helps them not he picky as toddlers. I also never force my kids too eat, if they dont want to eat I dont fight with them.
I learnt all this from experience with my oldest, she gave me such a hard time eating, it consumed my entire day. Till one day I just put the food in front of her and walked away. Most of it ended up in her mouth bh.

Some kids are picky eaters no matter what they are given as babies.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:50 pm
My two and a half year old eats just about everything, and I think my lucky stars every day, becasue the rest of my kids don’t.
Pickiness can be taught, but it’s also inborn. There are people who just don’t like things. You can try a million different times, a million different ways, but if a kid doesn’t like something they just don’t like something.

lfab

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Some kids are picky eaters no matter what they are given as babies.

Totally agree! My first 2 kids are very close in age and I didn't do anything different in terms of introducing new foods, variety, etc when they were babies. My first is a great eater who eats a wide variety and is almost always willing to try new foods (she gets excited about spinach! ). My second is super picky and only eats about 5 real foods. Hence my conclusion that picky eaters are mostly just born that way.

To answer the op's question, I suggested offer my toddler whatever I made for the rest of the family. Sometimes she eats it, sometimes she'll only eat part of it (like just the rice but not the chicken). If she doesn't eat it nicely I'll offer her yogurt or a sandwich and some fruit. But I don't make myself crazy since she usually eats a good lunch at the babysitter.

Last edited by lfab on Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:00 pm
Amother burgundy, you're right, any child can be picky. But my post is still not judgmental.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:29 pm
pesek zman wrote:
It’s not a judgement thing. I personally believe that picky eaters are taught to Be so rather than born so, but either way, if you teach your child to take it or leave it, most times they’ll choose to eat rather than move hungry. There are some nights that my child tells me that she doesn’t like the dinner, but she usually finds one thing to eat (I serve a main, a starch side and a veg side) If she eats dinner nicely she gets ‘dessert’ A Hershey kiss) and if she doesn’t, she doesn’t. The other night she ate a new food (cabbage kugel) so nicely that I gave her 2 Hershey kisses. But there are definitely nights where she says to me, I don’t want desser tonight, and I remind her if she’s hungry later that night, she’ll be out of luck and that breakfast is 12 hours away.

Do you allow fruits or veggies later if she's hungry?
I have similar rule but do allow veggies or fruits (I do try to get them to eat at least the protein.)

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:30 pm
For the most part my little ones get served whatever everyone is having.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics