Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
What makes chicken soup clear or cloudy?

Milky

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:40 pm
Mine looks thicker than mom's or grandma's ever did.

What am I doing wrong?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:46 pm
Clear comes from cooking long and low and skimming the scum off. Also I dont add veg til l the end. Mine is thick because I use a high proportion of bones to water. Thick is great because FLAVOUR! You can always water it down.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:48 pm
For clear soup, wash chicken and bones really well before starting. Skin can make things cloudy too. You need to skim.

married2020

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:07 pm
Bring the veggies to a rolling boil and then right when Adding the chicken lower to a steady low simmer for hours. I find it comes out clearest this way.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:45 pm
When refrigerating chicken soup overnight, put a plastic bag on top of the soup, and all the fat will stay on the bag. You'll then have a clear soup.

Milky

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:48 pm
Thanks, ladies!

crust

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:56 pm
1. Cooking things like noodles beans or matzo balls in it. Solution? Just dont. Smile

2. Cooking it on too high. Solution?
What I do is, I let the soup come to ONE first boil and then I put it on a lower flame for the rest of the time.
Till it comes to that first boil I watch the soup closely that it shouldn't G-d gorbid overboil. Once its overboiled its over...

The rest of the things like fat skin or scum- all of those are removable from a cooked soup. But this cloudy dolor... oy! Never ever reversible.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:54 am
Crust, I hope you're joking. If it overboils you don't use it? By me, when a soup boils over it's the stovetop that's a goner, not the soup. (And I'm gone, too, since I look for any excuse to duck out of cooking).

OP, a high flame makes soup cloudy. When he's in a rush dh dumps all the ingredients in and turns the flame on high for an hour. Half of it evaporates and the rest is cloudy. If you keep it on simmer for a few hours it stays clear.

crust

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:04 am
I dont remember having cloudy soup for years since I put a timer on to remind me to make the flame lower but of course I use(d) it. Chas vesholom to even think of me as someone that would make the effort to redo her soup lol.

I am Hungarian which makes the flop of the soup hard to digest on an emotional level lol but... the digestive systems of me my husband and kids are ok with cloudy soup bh. Smile

With "its over" I meant that once overboiled there is no way to save the soul of the soup's see-through color.

I think I have a rhyme;
Overboiled soup will a clear soup never be. Overboiled soup will forever be cloudy.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:08 am
crust wrote:
I dont remember having cloudy soup for years since I put a timer on to remind me to make the flame lower but of course I use(d) it. Chas vesholom to even think of me as someone that would make the effort to redo her soup lol.

I am Hungarian which makes the flop of the soup hard to digest on an emotional level lol but... the digestive systems of me my husband and kids are ok with cloudy soup bh. Smile

With "its over" I meant that once overboiled there is no way to save the soul of the soup's see-through color.

I think I have a rhyme;
Overboiled soup will a clear soup never be. Overboiled soup will forever be cloudy.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:13 am
Cloudy is not the same thing as rich/thick and it's not the same thing as fatty, so ignore those suggestions.

I think the others are right that it's about simmering long and low. I usually end up in a mad rush cooking it higher in the hopes that it will cook faster, and sure enough I get a cloudy and not rich enough soup. I did just buy an instant pot so once I tovel it and then once I get over the reality that it will not be parve, we will see if that helps!

crust

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:16 am
seeker wrote:
I did just buy an instant pot so once I tovel it and then once I get over the reality that it will not be parve, we will see if that helps!

In the same spot
With my instapot
🙈🙈🙈
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics