Home

Career change to programming?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

smileforamile

Post  Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:00 am
I've posted on here before about the fact that I am a math teacher in public school, and my DH wants to go for programming. I'm not so happy as a teacher; I find it very demanding and draining, and I'm not paid enough for the amount of work that I do. It's really a 24/7, thankless job that is looked down upon in the world at large. Also, I don't think teaching would be worthwhile for me outside of NYC, and I really don't want to be tied down to NY.

It occurred to me recently that I might enjoy programming myself. I have a mind for math and I can be very detail-oriented. I enjoy geometric proofs and logic. I have a math degree, so I don't think I'd go back for a full degree. I'm more likely to try a boot camp or something of that sort.

This is not something that I'm going to consider changing to immediately. I'd probably wait until after DH finishes his degree and gets a decent job IY'H. I also want to get tenured as a teacher first, since then I can always come back to it if I don't enjoy programming.

In the meantime, though, I would like to start trying out programming to see if it's something I can learn. I signed up for Code Academy, and my DH recommended trying Lynda afterward if I think I might pursue it. My question is, which language(s) should I start with? I'm getting conflicting answers from different people. I don't really know which area of programming I'd want to do, so it's more of a general question.

Also, do you have any other comments or advice? I'd appreciate all thoughts and input.

amother

Scarlet

Post  Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:21 am
It doesn’t matter as much as you think which language you learn first. The more important part is learning to problem solve and think like a programmer. Most programmers end up learning multiple languages.

I suggest you start with an object oriented language first though.

Disclaimer: I program for my own use, not as a career. PHP, JavaScript, MySQL, some shell stuff/bash, learning Python.

smileforamile

Post  Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:10 pm
Bump - anyone else?

hodeez

Post  Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:33 pm
I agree with Scarlet. Also, depends if you want to work front end, back end or full stack. For front end you would need languages like HTML, PHP, SQL, JavaScript. For back end you would need languages like C, C++, Java...

amother

Cerulean

Post  Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:43 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Slateblue

Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:05 am
Python is easy to pick up and a good language to start with. Get started with a python tutorial, you can use codewars.com to practice the language. If you enjoy that you can then move on to learning C#/Java, but those are really heavy languages, I wouldn't start with them.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h