Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
16 yo ds always bored

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 4:40 pm
My 16 year old ds seriously suffers from constant boredom. He is always chasing after things to do, going out with not so great kids, smoking, drinking etc all to stave off the boredom he feels. These are his words. He can’t rest, be still, just chill. He can’t fall asleep without watching videos until his eyes close. He is literally restless. It’s affecting him in a big way.
I guess I’m asking several things. I need ideas of things for him to entertain himself at home. He wants the video game GTA but I said no to that one.
I also wonder if there is something wrong that could be helped by a psychologist or something.
I need to help him before it leads to chas veshalom something worse.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 5:58 pm
What is his focus in life at the moment? Is he studying? What are his goals for the future?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:10 pm
sports? running?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:33 pm
Does he have ADD? Does he play any sports?

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:44 pm
Does he have any interest in playing any instruments? I find this a lifeline for my boys. It’s enjoyable and keeps them occupied for hours. Besides for them enjoying it, theres always more to perfect and it keeps them off the streets

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 7:55 pm
He’s in school, finally starting to do well but is not very focused. I think he does have adhd although he doesn’t act hyperactive, he is restless.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:06 pm
He may or may not have ADHD. Would it be helpful to get a diagnosis and learn more about why he is the way he is?

Either way, he probably needs a lot of heavy duty activity. Best would be a sport that he can play a couple of hours a day, or even going to the gym and working out with weights. This does so much for the brain.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:37 pm
I was actually thinking of sending him to the gym. That may be an option. Is there any kind of therapy that would help him?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
I was actually thinking of sending him to the gym. That may be an option. Is there any kind of therapy that would help him?

Why don't you try sports/gym for a bit? You may see a tremendous change. If not, a psychologist can give you and him some insight into what's going on.

flmommy

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 10:25 pm
Honestly sounds Like ADD. Putting my DS in Ned’s was the best thing for him and our family. His friends totally changed for the better and a million other things improved as well. Have your pediatrician give you the assessments for yourselves and the teachers to fill out.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:43 am
What’s Neds?

tf

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:17 pm
I allow my teen boys to do woodworking, take apart small appliances and put them back together, etc. It helps them focus on being productive. Before yomtov they help with whatever they can.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
What’s Neds?

I assume she meant meds= medication. I agree that it's transformative for many people, but you need a clear diagnosis first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children