Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What do you let your teens do to relax/have fun?

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 4:33 pm
Fox wrote:
There's a deeper issue, too: do we want our kids to become accustomed to think of shopping as entertainment? Even if the mall were a totally appropriate environment otherwise (which no mall is), the idea that one shops as a social activity, rather than a way to purchase something that one needs, is not the greatest chinuch.

We held off until 16 or thereabouts, but we limited the time very strictly -- no more than an hour or so.

The-mall-as-hangout is a business model, not an educational model.
[quote]

I’m quoting from another thread because it got me thinking. A lot of things that I consider good kosher fun, definitely not against Halacha, are not allowed for many teens here.

So do tell. Do your teens play sports? Play instruments? Competitive teams?

I know movies and smartphones are out in many communities.

keym

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 5:08 pm
I'm probably not who you're asking cuz mine are slightly younger- 13, 11, 10. All elementary aged.
But my boys do a lot of sports (occasionally organized team sports) but mostly outdoors with the neighbors whatever's in season. (Baseball, soccer, football, basketball). April through November also bikeriding with friends to nearby parks.
Winter is a challenge. We do book reading, library trips, science experiments, woodwork. Occasionally team sport but I'm less than impressed what they have available.
My daughter does reading, artsy stuff- painting lessons or cake decorating groups, hanging out with friends in their house. Summer there's swim groups, and outdoor block sports, roller blading, plus camp.
Additionally, we encourage them to make money- babysitting, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, cleaning cars for Pesach, building sukkos, Sunday clubs, running Bnos groups.

I wish we could give them music lessons, but its not in the budget now.

flmommy

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 7:27 pm
My 14 yea old DS plays or watches his schools team sports. He occasionally will watch a movie at a theatre with a friend.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:18 am
I still don't have a problem with the mall. Let them learn if they spend their money it doesn't push back. It's also not "inappropriate". It probably doesn't have a cinema, and they could also skip school to go to cinema so...

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:47 am
I think that thread was about a specific mall.
My girls are young, but for now outlets include music, ice skating, sports, gymnastics.
I would have no problem if they go shopping by themselves at age 14 , but also don't like the Palisades Mall.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:53 am
Restaurants.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:22 am
DD plays video games, and she has links with girls all over the world who like the same games. Many games can be played cooperatively, so she can be playing with girls in Sweden, Arizona, and Kazakhstan all at once!

Some very appropriate, non violent, and cooperate games (no shooting) are Portal, Slime Ranch, and Stardew Valley. Minecraft is an oldie but goodie. DD made many friends on that server, and 6 years later she's really close with them.

I wish she had more friends IRL, but I think it's really cool that she knows people all over the world. When she does go to the mall with friends IRL, she window shops, drinks bubble tea, and chats about life in general. It's not really about the shopping for her, it's about having a little time away from adult supervision, and just feeling a bit free for an hour or two. It helps her build independence and confidence. (She also sees how much things cost, and is starting to realize that clothes do not grow on trees!)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:47 am
I'm def not keen on the mall as a hangout
They go occasionally but not often.
As a teen I tried on jeans on the mall, make up and wound up reading all the relations scenes in all the books at the bookstore!!!

My girls bake and bake some more. When my freezer is full they bake for the fire station and or old age home.
We bought a second hand keyboard and they teach themselves to play. They do crafts like decopage and paint by numbers. We do large puzzles and play a lot of games like catan and boggle mastermind and perpetual commotion. There are always 2 or 3 games out on the table.

The girls babysit some evenings often leave hwk for then

2 of mine taught themselves to touch type (INVALUABLE)

My tween does a ton of recyclable crafts and bead crafts. She too bakes

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:44 am
Restaurant is nice if they can pay for it. Beware some teens behave extremely badly, spoiling it for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children