Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cholent recipe

MiriFr

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 7:33 pm
I used to have the crockpot insert type. I just got the other type (west bend...?) and I cant figure out how to make cholent in it! I've been using my regular cholent recipe that I've made for years (not much a recipe, more like pouring things in), and I try it in the west bend and it's disgusting.
Any insights? Or exact recipes? And what heat level (out of 5) do I leave it on?

aycg

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:01 pm
I use the west bend, I like it cuz I can sauté onions and cook the chulent on the stove pot first. Over shabbos leave it in the highest (5) I’ve put it on lower but it wasn’t good.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:03 pm
#1 is keep warm, #3 is low and #5 is high.

MiriFr

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:10 pm
So I've left it on 5, and the whole thing burnt. I left it on 3, and the beans weren't cooked. I've left it on 4, and the bottom burnt, but the rest was too watery except for a few floating burnt pieces on the very top.
And it doesn't taste the same.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:19 pm
MiriFr wrote:
So I've left it on 5, and the whole thing burnt. I left it on 3, and the beans weren't cooked. I've left it on 4, and the bottom burnt, but the rest was too watery except for a few floating burnt pieces on the very top.
And it doesn't taste the same.

Why not presoak the beans until softened (12-15 hours) or cook them first, then leave cholent on 3?

MiriFr

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:10 pm
I dont know how long to cook it for! I've tried putting it up Thursday night, Friday morning, Friday afternoon....its never good. And I dont know what number to put it on and then switch it to and when to switch.

Chickpea

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:23 pm
Cook on high(#5) for approx 3 hours, then turn to #1 setting.

MiriFr

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:39 pm
Thanks! What about cholent to water ratio?

Chickpea

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 10:16 pm
MiriFr wrote:
Thanks! What about cholent to water ratio?

I don't measure the water. I just add enough water so that the cholent is barely covered. Before Shabbos. If you find that the cholent is too dry, you can add a little boiling water to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics