Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please no bashing
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Is this even allowed? I thought government programs were for people who could not work, not for people choosing not to work in order to pursue learning? Wouldn't this be considered stealing? Why learn Torah which says "do not steal" when the actual learning is causing you to steal? I'm curious to know what the rabbonim say about this.

No it's not considered stealing. Boy do you have a warped view of morality!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Currently, in the 70k range but I'm working on opening my own business which will iyH bump that amount up significantly. If I would be on programs I wouldnt be able to make more than 40k. People would tell me that if I added up the cost of everything that I pay for (that I could have been on programs for) I don't come out too ahead. But I disagree - I think I am ahead because I'm working on my skills and work ethic to take me further with the help of Hashem!

No!! Thats the range!!! Oysh this is sad!!! Ok I have no control over my finances if this is what's best for me. Keep telling myself that it should eventually sink in no?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:04 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

Hashkafically shes wrong. Practically I do know that some people can't get on if only one able bodied worker is working (like one is in college). But BH it worked out for use without cheating the system so I dont worry about it.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
No!! Thats the range!!! Oysh this is sad!!! Ok I have no control over my finances if this is what's best for me. Keep telling myself that it should eventually sink in no?

I'm confused. Why is this sad? It's wonderful - BH you can support yourself! You have so much control over your finances. You don't have to run around updating the government all day and worry that any extra dollar will put you over the bracket. IyH you'll have potential to make even more. What a bracha! (That's my view in any case!)

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
Hashkafically shes wrong. Practically I do know that some people can't get on if only one able bodied worker is working (like one is in college). But BH it worked out for use without cheating the system so I dont worry about it.

Where I live being in college makes it easier, not harder, to get on programs.

At least the US government understands the value of education!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I'm confused. Why is this sad? It's wonderful - BH you can support yourself! You have so much control over your finances. You don't have to run around updating the government all day and worry that any extra dollar will put you over the bracket. IyH you'll have potential to make even more. What a bracha! (That's my view in any case!)

Nope Hashem runs my bank account Smile If it's best for me to take this job and lose out on programs then I'll trust that it's good for me even if its hard. If it's not the right thing to do (which we'll need to ask a shaila about after I find out more info) then I know I'm making the right decision and Hashem will take care of me then too!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
Nope Hashem runs my bank account Smile If it's best for me to take this job and lose out on programs then I'll trust that it's good for me even if its hard. If it's not the right thing to do (which we'll need to ask a shaila about after I find out more info) then I know I'm making the right decision and Hashem will take care of me then too!

Absolutely and look what Hashem gave you (if it works out!) I firmly believe that Hashem leads you in the way you want to be led. Losing government programs isnt a sad thing - it's a little scary but it's a tremendous bracha in the long run. I was just so confused about your oysh!!! post. Hashem is the Provider - be so grateful for the good opportunities He sends your way. I know too many people who stayed on programs for too long and regretted it so badly later on when they had large families and government programs were nowhere near enough and they had no skills or opportunities to break out of programs.

Reality

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:10 am
Would you qualify for the essential plan?

It's a gap plan for people who make too much for Medicaid.

You really need to speak to an insurance facilitator. They will tell you your marketplace options.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:13 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

I don't see it as warped. I'm just being logical. If the government raises a certain amount of tax money in order to help those who need it and people sign up for it because of their personal beliefs on how they choose to spend their time, I would consider that stealing.

How would you feel if you knew your tax money was going towards people who prioritized yoga over working, or studying the koran or the bible over working?

The op just explained that the government is aware that her dh is studying and that his parents are supporting them so I agree now that it's not considered stealing. Otherwise, yes it would be and I'm not warped. Bye.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
Absolutely and look what Hashem gave you (if it works out!) I firmly believe that Hashem leads you in the way you want to be led. Losing government programs isnt a sad thing - it's a little scary but it's a tremendous bracha in the long run. I was just so confused about your oysh!!! post. Hashem is the Provider - be so grateful for the good opportunities He sends your way. I know too many people who stayed on programs for too long and regretted it so badly later on when they had large families and government programs were nowhere near enough and they had no skills or opportunities to break out of programs.

Oh I get what you're saying. My osyh was just because I was hoping her number wouldn't be my number. You're right. It's probably going to be the best thing for me. That's why I said I don't control my finances -once I do my hishtadlus and take the job. I think we agree Smile

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I don't see it as warped. I'm just being logical. If the government raises a certain amount of tax money in order to help those who need it and people sign up for it because of their personal beliefs on how they choose to spend their time, I would consider that stealing.

How would you feel if you knew your tax money was going towards people who prioritized yoga over working, or studying the koran or the bible over working?

The op just explained that the government is aware that her dh is studying and that his parents are supporting them so I agree now that it's not considered stealing. Otherwise, yes it would be and I'm not warped. Bye.

Its a fairly hot topic right now - what requirements are their to attempt to work - if any - to qualify for various programs. However - so long as you are following all the current guidelines - honestly - you are't stealing.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:46 am
I would also take into account ur quality of life- if u end up with an extra 10k but running urself rugged, imo it would not be worth it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:56 am
Its Friday wrote:
I have 5 kids. Yeah I have opinion only when they at least sell. I may be talking with a "stomach full". Obama care would be the worst in my opinion. The deductibles are the killers. I think you need like UJO To help on pen and paper. Or PM me I will tell you who I used privately when I qualified for government insurance. I went there to ask questions when my married daughter needed advice too.
As far as food stamps I never was on. We did not want to get used to it. If your DH will join the workforce in the next few years might also change things for better or worst. If he makes it an issue to go only where they offer or at least sell medical insurance, you may see relief then. I wonder how easy is for a man to find a job that sells at least insurance.

Obamacare expanded Medicaid eligibility why is that worse?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:57 am
Baby woke up, got to go. Thanks everyone for your advice. I definitely have some research to do regarding insurance. Iyh this will all work out!! Thanks again!!

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
Is this even allowed? I thought government programs were for people who could not work, not for people choosing not to work in order to pursue learning? Wouldn't this be considered stealing? Why learn Torah which says "do not steal" when the actual learning is causing you to steal? I'm curious to know what the rabbonim say about this.

Hey she said no bashing please, please read her title, then MYOB

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:14 am
You have to figure out the numbers where you'll make more. If you lose the benefits....how much money will you be losing without it.....will the new job be able to cover this amount you lost & still get ahead? If you'll be able to keep up the hours of working in order to make more money....

Once you have more kids & husband will go to work....will you be able to work so much or at all?

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Obamacare expanded Medicaid eligibility why is that worse?

My impression is that straight Medicaid or lets say HMO thru medicaid
(Not HMO thru obamace) has no deductible. Like if there's a 10 dollar copay (if there is) then this is it. My impression is that Obamacare which comes in many nice names and products - has a high deductible which is like they will say at the doctors office that they accept your plan but later you receive a bill ranging from 50 to 350 (give or take) because the first X thousands of every single year dont get paid. That's the deductible. For young people a high premium plus high deductible is too much.

marina

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:43 pm
Keep in mind that the continuing government shutdown may affect benefits such as food stamps etc so it may be worth it not to depend on them if you can avoid it

teachkids

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:04 pm
My experience is that the limit for heavily subsidized childhealthplus is higher than than you think, so you'll probably be able to keep your kids on that at least. (I work a well paying full time job and still qualify)

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:

No, it's not logical. It's your emotions talking (no idea what your background is, but this makes no sense).

What's wrong with prioritizing learning the koran or the bible over working? The US government understands the concept of a divinity student, so sad that a frum Jewish woman doesn't get it.

Do you know what your tax dollars support? Have you ever heard of FAFSA? Subsidized loans? Loan Forgiveness? Do you think it's ok for for the government to pay for someone to get a Sociology degree? Art degree? Philosophy degree? If all these degrees are ok in your book, then seriously you are a self hating Jew. As are the five people who "liked" your post.

As for parents "supporting" - I don't think there are very many young families who are being wholly "supported" by their parents. If there are, they are in the minority.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - the IRS does not tax gifts and does not count gifts as income up to a certain number (I think the threshold was just raised to 10 million, but that's just a guess). So it's not income, unless you want to report it as income (completely optional, but for many it does pay to report it).
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics