Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Makeup - inexpensive vs. Expensive
1  2  Next

happy mommy6

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:03 pm
What "cheap" makeup are you happy with.
Foundation, blush, lipstick, eye liner, mascara
Which is worth to spend more money and buy from a makeup artist or store? And when you buy cheaper quality at target, Walgreens etc... how do you know what color will be?

Reality

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:06 pm
I love my urban decay eyeliner. Totally worth the money

I also love my l'oreal mascara. Better then any expensive brand I have ever purchased.

sub

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:15 pm
Rite aid allows returns of open makeup as long as you have the receipt and full packaging. You can try any brand and any color.
Revlon clorstay is good
Maybeline superstay lipsticks are long lasting
For tinted moisturizer maybelline bb or cc cream but I “splurge” on origins ginzing tinted moisturizer and belif moisturizing bomb

mom2dkay

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:22 pm
sub wrote:
Rite aid allows returns of open makeup as long as you have the receipt and full packaging. You can try any brand and any color.
Revlon clorstay is good
Maybeline superstay lipsticks are long lasting
For tinted moisturizer maybelline bb or cc cream but I “splurge” on origins ginzing tinted moisturizer and belif moisturizing bomb

How do they explain this return policy?
Do they resell the makeup?
If not, why do they need the package?
If yes, I will never buy makeup from rite aid again.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:37 pm
I consistently get more compliments on my plain old Maybelline pink and green tube mascara (I think I use the “big brush” one these days). Even when I use a $30+ mascara.

sub

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:49 pm
mom2dkay wrote:
How do they explain this return policy?
Do they resell the makeup?
If not, why do they need the package?
If yes, I will never buy makeup from rite aid again.

They do not resell it. I asked what they do.
They return it to the company.

sub

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:50 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
I consistently get more compliments on my plain old Maybelline pink and green tube mascara (I think I use the “big brush” one these days). Even when I use a $30+ mascara.

Yes still the best one and has waterproof and different brushes

preciousmommy

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:53 pm
I buy my frequently repurchased items from the drugstore. Skincare, primer, mascara, eyeliner - and I’ve been very happy with all of them. I have no reason to buy more expensive versions. I do splurge on higher end eyeshadows and lipsticks. I often find them to be higher quality than drugstore brands.

morah.coffee

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:57 pm
I love my urban decay naked 3 eye shadow, worth the $50+, had it for almost 3 years and though some colors are pretty low now, I still can get another whole year out of it. The quality is amazing, the colors are beautiful- highly recommend.
I think foundation is also something worth spending the money on- I use bare minerals.
Have some nice Bobby Brown lipsticks which cost a pretty penny, but it could be I would be just as happy with something cheaper.
I think brushes are also something which is worth investing in and not buying the cheap ones.
I once bought the better than falsies mascara (same line as better than s-x) and definitely found it worth it, but it is expensive and haven't bought it again once I ran out of it...
I use drug store Maybelline gel eye liner and it's really good-looking lasts long and comes out smooth.

gibberish

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:07 pm
sub wrote:

Cvs has the same policy

happy mommy6

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:13 pm
What brand do you use for foundattion?

aliavi

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:20 pm
Kat Von D foundation is my splurge. It lasts the 18hours a day I wear it and I use so little I can keep one container for 9+ months. I have dry skin. L’Oréal Voluminous mascara is my cheap go-to.

thepickled

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:21 pm
You can get quality drugstore makeup for almost all products but you need to know what to look for, as a lot of it isn’t good quality. There are a lot of reviews online. For colors, look up swatches online and try to match with what your normal skin products look like swatched on your skin. Many drugstores also allow you to return open products, check the return policy.
Drugstore products that are particularly good:
- Maybelline Fit Me and Age Rewind concealers.
- Pixi pencil eyeliners - you can find this brand in Target.
- L’Oréal mascara. Mascara is pretty hit or miss even with expensive brands so the drugstore is definitely a good place to try some out.

yc

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:25 am
what about sharpeners? I bought a revlon sharpener based on reviews that is was just as good as the expensive ones and it is destroying my urban decay eyeliner. it takes off too much of the outside so the pencil part is wobbling around and not held by it. is my eyeliner salvageable?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:49 am
Mascara needs to be healthy... LIpstick, check for lead.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:50 am
The best eyeshadows I’ve used are BH although I have some high end pallets by Tart, Two faced and dose of colors (friendcation palette). For mascara drug store is always better because you need to replace it a lot due to bacteria. I live in Israel where even the drug store brands like maybelline, L’Oréal and Rimmel and the Israeli Gade abs Carreline are quite expensive. I’ve come to like the essence brand mascaras a lot. They are cheap but work amazingly well. My favorite essence brand mascaras are Lash Princess Volume and Volume Stylist 24 hour (stays on Shabbos even if you’re not good at sleeping on your back 😂).

MiriFr

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:42 am
I am a makeup artist, and I use loreal mascara on EVERYONE.
Loreal and Lancome are sister brands, meaning they are owned by the same company. Their mascara is basically all the same.
Foundation- it's better to go high end. They always look better on the skin and last longer. If you absolutely dont have it in your budget, try Revlon color stay foundation. Same goes for primer, but I dont know amy drugstore primers.
Lipsticks dont make a difference, except high end lipstick tends to have nicer colors.
Eyeshadow- get a high end eyeshadow primer, and then you can get lucky with drugstore eyeshadows. The new wet n wild palettes are surprisingly good.
Eyeliner- that's a tough one. I generally gravitate toward high end because of color pay off/pigmentation, how long it lasts me in the pen, and longevity (on the eyes). Urban decay, stilla. But rommel London scandaleyes liquid eyeliner is really nice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:48 am
happy mommy6 wrote:
What "cheap" makeup are you happy with.
Foundation, blush, lipstick, eye liner, mascara
Which is worth to spend more money and buy from a makeup artist or store? And when you buy cheaper quality at target, Walgreens etc... how do you know what color will be?

Foundation, blush and lipstick from department stores.
Eyeliner and mascara from the drugstore.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:49 am
yc wrote:
what about sharpeners? I bought a revlon sharpener based on reviews that is was just as good as the expensive ones and it is destroying my urban decay eyeliner. it takes off too much of the outside so the pencil part is wobbling around and not held by it. is my eyeliner salvageable?

I find it best to buy the sharpener that is compatible with the pencil. Buy 1 from urban decay if that's what you're using.

bat1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:52 am
Thanks for this topic! all I ever wondered!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains