Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Makeup - inexpensive vs. Expensive
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:56 am
I love Loreal creme eyeshadows - the kind that come in a little pot. They go on so nicely and stay on quite well too.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:03 pm
A question about "drugstore ". Is it literally drugstore? Because everything in CVS and similar stores is generally much more expensive than Walmart and Target. But, I haven't checked the prices on makeups.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:04 pm
Drugstore are the brands which are mass market to distinguish them from the more expensive brands which were typically sold at department stores.

Maybelline versus Lancome for example.

As to when to pay more, I think foundation is worth splurging on but other than that, you can do well with mass market brands. However, sometimes you can be penny wise and pound foolish - for example, eye shadows last so long that sometimes it can make sense to buy high end if you get from a place where you get expert help picking out the right shadows and showing you how to apply for your specific needs. That way you might wind up paying less money for fewer shadows rather than buying a bunch that don't really work for one reason or another. And the Urban Decay Naked 3 is really a great palette Very Happy .

Maybelline mascara is a classic although I do like some of the higher end mascaras I've tried - especially Lancome mascara.

In terms of makeup/skin care subscribing to one or more of the beauty boxes is a fun and relatively inexpensive way to test out new stuff and if something doesn't work for you, there is always family or friends who can use it. There is Ipsy, Boxycharm, Sephora, Allure, Beautyfix and a few more you can check out.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:26 pm
Make up enthusiast here.

Drugstore mascara (lash Paradise is awesome, practically like falsies)
Drugstore eyeliner (physicians formula pen eyeliner is great and includes lash serum)
Drugstore blush (Millani baked blush is awesome. The coral one is a dupe for Nars orgasam)
Drugstore contour (loreal infalliable contour pro)
Drugstore highlighter (Maybelline master chrome in rose gold)

High end foundation (needs to be perfect--bad foundation ruins the rest), concealer (can't beat shape tape), lipstick.

Eyeshadow I'd get drugstore for the week, high end for shabbos. The higher end ones have more pigment and last longer. (I don't think you need an eye shadow primer, I just use concealer+light powder before applying the shadows and it works great)

(Of course, I have all the products mentioned plus much more drug store AND high end. I am Silly )

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:37 pm
I only buy “cheap” makeup and the brand I prefer is Maybelline. I have allergies and super sensitive skin and am super sensitive to scents. So far I’ve never had any issues with Maybelline products. I really really like their mineral makeup, which I can only find at Walmart now. I also use their blush and lip gloss and lipstick. I don’t wear eye makeup, so no recommendations on that.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:43 pm
I am a huge fan of Kat Von D, especially the concealer. MAC has fabulous lip glosses. For drug store, NYC lip gloss is the best, it lasts a long time and isn't sticky.

Chanel lipsticks run and feather like crazy, and their nail polish takes dozens of coats to get a good dark red.

Butter London nail polish is worth every single penny and lasts really well. The pigmentation is amazing.

For loose makeup / Shabbos makeup, Pink Quartz Minerals on Etsy has been my favorite for years. My friend Doree makes them, and she can custom blend anything you want. She's also very generous with samples.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:53 pm
Amarante wrote:
Drugstore are the brands which are mass market to distinguish them from the more expensive brands which were typically sold at department stores.

Maybelline versus Lancome for example.

As to when to pay more, I think foundation is worth splurging on but other than that, you can do well with mass market brands. However, sometimes you can be penny wise and pound foolish - for example, eye shadows last so long that sometimes it can make sense to buy high end if you get from a place where you get expert help picking out the right shadows and showing you how to apply for your specific needs. That way you might wind up paying less money for fewer shadows rather than buying a bunch that don't really work for one reason or another. And the Urban Decay Naked 3 is really a great palette Very Happy .

Maybelline mascara is a classic although I do like some of the higher end mascaras I've tried - especially Lancome mascara.

In terms of makeup/skin care subscribing to one or more of the beauty boxes is a fun and relatively inexpensive way to test out new stuff and if something doesn't work for you, there is always family or friends who can use it. There is Ipsy, Boxycharm, Sephora, Allure, Beautyfix and a few more you can check out.

Every year, I purchase Sephora's Lashstash box, using my insider coupon. It has 10 "sample" sized mascaras. Each lasts a couple of months, at least, so I have mascara for the year.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:58 pm
Similar to most posters above, I use brand name foundation, and some of both for everything else.

My new favorite drug store brand is No. 7, sold at Walgreens. Their products are so similar to some higher end products that I own, that I’m convinced they must be a sister company. I should do some research on the brand.

morah.coffee

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:01 pm
Adding to what I said previously-
I also use eye shadow primer and buy the urban decay one, works really well for me.
Concealer I also invest in- I use dermablend, it lasts me a really long time, so it's worth the $40. (By long time I mean like 2 years with heavy use!)

isrmss91

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:12 pm
I like the Milani brand. Most of their products are made in Italy. Their lipsticks are nice(though they smell like watermelon, so be warned) They have a blush called Luminosa, which is a dupe for Nars O(gsm. If you are looking for quality affordable products, that's the brand to go to.

Also, believe or not H&M's makeup line, also has many products that are made in Italy as well. There lipsticks are about 10.00 but applies wonderfully. Eyeshadows, hit or miss. (swatch first) and sometimes you can find eyeshadow singles on sale for $3.00 and blushes on sale for $5.00.

Also, TJMaxx has been getting in alot of high end brands. (stuff from Sephora, who knows?) But know before you go. Great if there is something you wanted, but did not want to pay full price for. I have even found Milani products there even cheaper then the drugstores prices. For ex. just put a milani plum eyeliner for $3.00, which at the drugstore, would probably cost me double that.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:42 am
Maya wrote:
Similar to most posters above, I use brand name foundation, and some of both for everything else.

My new favorite drug store brand is No. 7, sold at Walgreens. Their products are so similar to some higher end products that I own, that I’m convinced they must be a sister company. I should do some research on the brand.

No 7 comes from Boots in the UK. It is a mid-range own brand, and pretty decent.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:45 am
Primer - Smashbox - amazing - you will never go back to anything else, expensive but a tube lasts forever
Foundation - Estee Lauder Double wear - most expensive product I use, but one bottle can last between 1-2 years
Mascara - Best ever Benefit you won't believe its real, although cheaper brands good for middle of week
Lipstick - Maxfactor Lipfinity - cheapish and amazing staying power
Blush, bronzer etc - all cheap

I used to use expensive moisturiser, estee lauder and have recently tried Simple brand. It has all the benefits (SPF, vitamins etc) and is less than a quarter of the price. I have had really good results, especially with makeup.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
A question about "drugstore ". Is it literally drugstore? Because everything in CVS and similar stores is generally much more expensive than Walmart and Target. But, I haven't checked the prices on makeups.

CVS has frequent sales, BOGO half offs, money back, coupons. If you stack all the offers you can save a lot.
I'm happy with my CVS stuff (though do plan to look up Pixi when I next go to Target) but would love a lipstick that actually lasts on me.

isrmss91

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:58 pm
Lipstick - Maxfactor Lipfinity - cheapish and amazing staying power
Blush, bronzer etc - all cheap

I see you are from the UK. Maxfactor in the US, is very hard to track down. For some reason it went away, but made a comeback in the UK. But I do remember it. Similar formula is Rimmel' Provcolips. Stays on for 16hours. Love it, and one of the few products in my hoard, that I will re-purchase when I run out of it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains