Home

Do prettier wives have happier marriages?
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Beige


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:10 am
Do their husbands treat them better? I read a study that promotes this and was wondering what y'all think. In your opinion...
Back to top

amother




Mauve


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:22 am
Disclaimer : This is only my personal experience
No! And if I felt emotionally abused by him, which resulted in me being scared to have relations with him, I was told that I'm mean because, "
"You're so pretty, so it's even harder for your husband not to 'have ' you " Mad
Back to top

crust




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:22 am
Mind posting a link?
This got me all confused. Here I thought it's because he's a 'mentch' and he has something called middos.

Now I'm having second thoughts... Tongue Out
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:35 am
Great thread idea
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:57 am
Of course not. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I hope most (or really all) husband find their wives attractive, no matter what the rest of society might think of their appearances.

What great SCIENTIFIC Wink study was this?
Back to top

amother




Papaya


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:58 am
For sure! Wives that self-identify as pretty, or whose husbands identify them as pretty, will have happier marriages overall.

This is because a woman who likes her looks is likely to be happier, and a husband who says his wife is not pretty is most probably not in the greatest of marriages.

Nothing to do with actual beauty.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:59 am
I'm very curious about this study too: What a funny topic to research, and the conclusion presented seems colloquially false.
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:06 am
This question makes no sense in real life. If you’re in an ugly relationship, you’ll have no idea how pretty you really are.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:08 am
amother wrote:
For sure! Wives that self-identify as pretty, or whose husbands identify them as pretty, will have happier marriages overall.

This is because a woman who likes her looks is likely to be happier, and a husband who says his wife is not pretty is most probably not in the greatest of marriages.

Nothing to do with actual beauty.

a woman who likes her looks is NOT likely to be happier in MARRIAGE though. A generally happy person can experience a hell of a marriage.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:10 am
I can't put up a poll from my phone but could someone please start a topic:

Do you have a happy marriage?

Yes, and I'm physically beautiful
Yes, and I'm not physically beautiful
No, and I'm physically beautiful
No, and I'm not physically beautiful.


Obviously there is no accounting for order bias, but I'm curious how many women here consider themselves beautiful (which is a subjective standard anyway) vs. how many think they have happy marriages.
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:45 am
If this were true, wouldn't Hollywood be full of successful marriages?
Back to top

amother




Cerulean


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:58 am
I think it is true that when a husband has a desirable wife, he will put up with more. Desirable people, .in general, have an easier time in life. It is easier to fall in love with a desirable person.
Back to top

amother




Scarlet


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:14 am
amother wrote:
If this were true, wouldn't Hollywood be full of successful marriages?


Exactly. Perhaps the inverse is true. Hollywood is arguably filled with the most pretty boys and girls in the world yet is riddled with unsuccessful marriages.
Back to top

amother




Scarlet


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
I think it is true that when a husband has a desirable wife, he will put up with more. Desirable people, .in general, have an easier time in life. It is easier to fall in love with a desirable person.


I think how much a spouse puts up with says much more about that person’s tolerance and patience threshold than their partner’s desirability.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:22 am
Do you think the Mrs. Trumps are happy?

I always thought that average or less attractive women had better marriages, because the husbands would pick them for who they really are, "warts and all".

I am a formal model, and at 53 I still have a good figure and pretty face. I also have 3 failed marriages.

My mom's weight has always ranged between 250 and 300 pounds, and her marriage was wonderful for almost 50 years. My dad is tall and handsome, and he absolutely adored the socks off of her.

I think I would rather be plain, a bit overweight, and happy, rather than thin, beautiful, and sad.
Back to top

amother




Scarlet


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you think the Mrs. Trumps are happy?

I always thought that average or less attractive women had better marriages, because the husbands would pick them for who they really are, "warts and all".

I am a formal model, and at 53 I still have a good figure and pretty face. I also have 3 failed marriages.

My mom's weight has always ranged between 250 and 300 pounds, and her marriage was wonderful for almost 50 years. My dad is tall and handsome, and he absolutely adored the socks off of her.

I think I would rather be plain, a bit overweight, and happy, rather than thin, beautiful, and sad.


This is such an awesome post. I think you should write your memoirs. 🙂
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:42 am
amother wrote:
This is such an awesome post. I think you should write your memoirs. 🙂


Thanks! I forgot to add, a few years after my mom passed, my dad married a wonderful short, pudgy, plain looking woman. My dad thought he'd never find happiness again, but they are over the moon in love with each other. It's so cute to read their FB posts, they are like teenagers together! I read things like "Love is when your hubby leaves you the last brownie in the pan." with a picture of the pan and a little note next to it.

To me, that's worth a lot more than being pretty. I've never had anyone adore me like that. Confused
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:47 am
I know more than one absolutely gorgeous women who have been emotionally and physically abused. So my answer is no.
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:31 am
amother wrote:
I think it is true that when a husband has a desirable wife, he will put up with more. Desirable people, .in general, have an easier time in life. It is easier to fall in love with a desirable person.
What the heck does this even mean? Im going to hope and assume that most spouses desire each other, so then your logic does not work. I really hope it doesnt.
Andwhat one person desires the next person might not. Its also in the eye of the beholder.
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:33 am
famous song here (to be listened to tongue in cheek)


Back to top
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Wives of rebbes: an honest answer please!
by DVOM
111 Today at 8:58 am View last post
S/o wives of rebbe
by amother
1 Sun, Mar 17 2019, 12:16 pm View last post
Do better people have better marriages?
by amother
5 Tue, Jan 08 2019, 7:46 am View last post
S/O do happier (inborn nature) wives have happier marriages?
by amother
22 Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:32 pm View last post
S/O making beds - bed makers happier than non- bed makers
by amother
61 Fri, Dec 07 2018, 4:11 am View last post

Jump to: