Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O Lost Keys
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:50 am
What things have you lost, and where did you find them?

I'll start:

One day, DD wanted me to make her some tater tots. I wanted some too, so we used about half a bag. The next day, she wanted more tater tots. I went to the freezer, but I couldn't find them. Now I knew I had half a bag yesterday, so where were they? I ended up taking every single thing out of the freezer (no easy task), but no tater tots. It was a complete mystery. I checked the fridge and the outdoor freezer, too. Nada.

About 4 days later, I wanted to hand up a picture. I went to the tool drawer to get a hammer and a nail, and guess what? Yep. There's a bag of soggy tater tots in the drawer. LOL

This became a running joke between me and DD. If anything goes missing, we say to check the tool drawer. If it's not there, then we say to check the freezer. When I buy frozen food, DD reminds me to put it in the right place. I am NEVER going to be able to live that one down.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:25 am
Just yesterday my mom was by my sister. She had to go but couldn’t find her keys. They looked everywhere for a good half hour.. even the garbage- thinking her toddler threw them in... as they were looking I glanced at my sisters key holder, just right on top of the garbage, and noticed a very suspiciously heavy key ring. Yup, my sister hung them up for my mom and she completely forgot they were there all along.

pause

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:29 am
I found my cordless phone lying on top of a pile of clothes in my children's armoire. I had been on the phone while packing away their freshly folded, clean clothes. I guess I ended the call while still balancing a pile of clothes so I must have put it down for a sec without concentrating because when I finished putting each article of clothing in its designated place, I closed the door of the armoire and walked away.

Good thing my phone has a pager.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:14 am
Dd is 14mo. She now puts everything in the garbage, toilet or bathtub.
That is now the first place we look.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:07 am
I put a deli roll in the pantry Sad Such a shame, there was so much of it left over.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:07 am
It finally happened to me: I had to call my cell phone to locate it. I’ll say this for my wall-mounted landline phone: one never has to go ISO it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:15 am
I started out with 3 cordless phones. Down to one. Haven’t found them since. It’s been a few years already.

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:51 pm
Thankfully I haven't "lost" things BH but I have misplaced things because of my tendency to hide items in odd locations (I.e. put a bedika in a sock in the sock drawer, put a watch in a coffee cup in the box, etc.)

princessleah

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 12:55 pm
Last week I poured myself a drink and then put the cup back in the cabinet.
Then I got all upset I couldn't find my drink!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:19 pm
Over a decade ago I lost my diamond ring. It was a Friday night and removed it when I washed for challah and then only realized the next day that I didn't have it. I was sure we rolled it up in the plastic tablecloth and that it was in the trash. But we couldn't find it anywhere after searching and searching .
After weeks of not having success , I came to terms with the fact that I lost it and I was really sad .
Many months later, almost a year later ,I came home from exercising and my DH presented me with a gift box , it was a ring box and inside was the exact setting as my original ring. I was all emotional and told him that it was a beautiful idea to get me a duplicate and that he didn't have to and how thankful I was blah blah blah... I was all teary eyed. Then DH tells me, "It's your actually ring. I dropped my keys and it fell behind our dresser. I couldn't reach it, so I moved the entire dresser and your ring was there beneath the dresser"... I couldn't believe it. I will never forget the joyful feeling of finding my ring.

This past Friday, we made plans to get my DS a passport as soon as I finished erev Shabbos prep. I rushed and rushed and went to gather the paperwork we'd need. We needed DSs original birth certificate. I keep all those types of documents in a safe. We opened the safe and his birth certificate wasn't there. We began a search tearing every area apart that might have paper work. It was not to be found. All of a sudden my DS says "Oh! I think I know where it is"...
my DH had taken them on a summer vacation to LA. DH had gone there on a business conference and at one of the shows they gave him a backpack with their logo on it. He decided to use it as a piece of carry on on their flight back and he had DSs birth certificate for flying purposes . Well he left it in there. I literally almost tossed that backpack the other day, thinking that nobody will use it. Since I wasn't on that trip I didn't know the pack was used as carry on and that birth certificate was in there.
Moral of the story , always check bags and backpacks and coat pockets before tossing them or giving them away.

There was also a stage where one of my babies would drop whatever it was into my boots that were in my closet. Whenever the winter came around I'd go to put on my boots and ..."Oh! Look what I finally found!!"

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 1:32 pm
Last night I was ready to drive home with my kids in the car and I couldn't find the keys anywhere. I was sure I had them in my hand a minute ago. After a long time of frantic searching, dd found then in the ignition. I think what happened was I was about to start the car, but then got out to help dd stuff something in the trunk. I felt so silly, but at least I had my keys

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:18 pm
Some of these are so funny I'm laughing out loud!

Please, keep them coming. It's making me feel a little bit more normal. LOL

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:21 pm
Actually my wedding ring is at a neighbor's home. We spent the Shabbos meal together and when we washed, her children took my ring. Anyways, one of the children threw it into a hole in the wall in the basement. She was planning on rebuilding her home so I joked that she could give it back then, but that was almost 10 years ago...... Still don't have the ring. lol

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 2:51 pm
Let's see...where do I start? I lose things right and left. If it isn't nailed down I misplace it. I tell my students never to hand me something they ever want back.

I couldn't find my paycheck once. This was before the times of direct deposit. I found it more than a week later when I opened a math book I was using when the check had been handed to me. Dh was not a happy camper that time.

I lost the folder with all our legal documents, birth certificates, passports, etc. We got a call from the police station that a woman had found it in the elevator at the passport office and turned it in. The $50 reward was totally worth it!

My diamond ring was rolled up in the plastic tablecloth twice in two different places and both times we found it after going through the garbage bags. It was misplaced a few other times--besides for the time it was stolen and returned. The worst was when I noticed at 2 am that I had left it in the mikva in BP earlier that night. I was mortified but had to call my father to get them to open the mikva. He waited in the snow at 4 am for the cleaning crew to arrive so he can retrieve it. I'm so, so, so relieved that we finally sold it because the arguments it caused every time I lost it were totally not worth it. It drove my dh nuts.

My car keys were found by a colleague after several teachers used brooms and sticks to help me dumpster dive in the school's container for hours in the dark after evening parent-teacher conferences. I still haven't lived that one down.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. I can't count how many times I left my cell phone in various stores. After 3 days, my school-issued iPad was pinged and found propped against the building on the front lawn of the school where I put it while I was on dismissal duty. That was mortifying.

We're officially down to one set of car keys, one mailbox key, one library card, one insurance card, and I no longer carry house keys with me because I lost them too many times.

The most annoying thing is that dh never loses anything!

L25

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:01 pm
groissamomma- you made me feel a lot better! I really want to buy a camera but my dh is just like- are you going to lose it? I'm so scared that I'm going to lose it and then I'll feel bad that I spent the money on it Sad Have you tried putting things on your items so you can "beep" them? I'm thinking about getting something like that.

My dh is also the type who is much more on top of things- doesn't matter if it's things or time

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 3:08 pm
Years ago, I used to work in an office downtown. A friend of mine was working late, and was going to lock up, so I left early.

My phone rings, and it's her. She wants to know if I'd seen her cell phone anywhere. I told her no, but then I don't really notice things like that. I start talking her through her last steps, photocopier? coffee machine? fax machine? boss's office? leave it in your car? This goes on for quite a while.

Then it hits me. "Um, what phone are you calling me from?"...

It was not the office phone, it was HER phone! Yes, the one we've been looking for.

I don't know which one of us laughed harder, but I know I was about to pee my pants. Which one of us is dumber? The one who calls on her phone while looking for it, or me, who sees her name come up on my phone, and helps her look for it anyway? Laugh

rising hero

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:25 pm
In my mothers house its normal to find the phone in the fridge.

Another mom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:31 pm
princessleah wrote:
Last week I poured myself a drink and then put the cup back in the cabinet.
Then I got all upset I couldn't find my drink!

You are so funny!! I think I'd like you IRL Very Happy

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:56 pm
I threw $100 in the garbage once
I lost a roast that I made for chag, can’t remember if I ever found it....
Lost my boots, they were in my baby’s room
Found my phone in the freezer once....

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:58 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I started out with 3 cordless phones. Down to one. Haven’t found them since. It’s been a few years already.

I left one outside, and it got ruined in a hurricane. Didn’t blow away or anything, just got totally soaked and was unable to dry out :-(
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics