Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s the most you make without a degree
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
200k - amazon

How did you pick such a steady firm number? Or is that his salary and he works for somebody else who sells on Amazon.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I think people who go ahead and get the IT degrees do benefit from on campus recruitment and creating and maintaining relationships with professors and other students which really helps when it comes time to look for a job. For someone young its a lot easier to just get the degree especially if you have state or city colleges available and you have it a few kids later if you find you need it.

I wouldn’t count on the last part. I have an advanced degree in this field that is pretty much useless now as I did it so long ago. Going back many kids later is no shoe in even with advanced degrees.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How did you pick such a steady firm number? Or is that his salary and he works for somebody else who sells on Amazon.

It’s what he’s made the last couple of years after all his deductions and expenses

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
Family health insurance is worth a lot. That, plus 60k, sounds great! Good for you for getting there. I have a master's degree in a health care and I don't make that much Sad

What in healthcare? Healthcare administration? I’m going for that masters so I wanted to know

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:02 pm
just want to mention - some of us are mothers with small children and can't work so many hrs. making those kind of salaries mentioned above I would think are either full time jobs, or jobs that were full time many yrs...and now even if u work part time,u are busy with it nights/weekends.
I have no degree, make 30/hr in an office job (I manage a department, I am there over 10 yrs) its part time so doesn't add up to all that much..abt 50k a yr

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:19 pm
husb 160 no degree. me 120 no degree. lots of hard work and learning new skills.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:32 pm
It’s beautiful and inspiring to see people bh have good parnassah with hard work! Iyh nor vaiter and Bracha for everyone.

It also answers some questions ppl have about how ‘everyone’ can afford and ‘they’ must be on programs. Bh there are ppl who haves parnassah. (And I know these numbers don’t make ppl rich and the work is not easy but still...)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
What in healthcare? Healthcare administration? I’m going for that masters so I wanted to know

No, another health related profession. I could probably earn much more in NY, but I'm living in an area that doesn't pay well (no, cost of living is not lower here!).

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:34 pm
Whoa! I can't believe how much ppl are making here. I'm making a little over 50 after working in same place many years, with lots of skills and devotion. Am I crazy?
How does Amazon work that you can make so much $$? Whoa!
No wonder why I'm struggling and everyone else is making it...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 3:53 pm
If you make 30/he and work part time like 25 hrs week there is no way you are making 50k. Boggles my mind how people don't know how much they make.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 4:02 pm
I know someone Chasidish who graduated from a chasidish yeshiva, and is a genetic scientist without a degree.

I have no idea how much he earns, but he contributes greatly to the community, and
who can place a monetary value on that?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
I know someone Chasidish who graduated from a chasidish yeshiva, and is a genetic scientist without a degree.

I have no idea how much he earns, but he contributes greatly to the community, and

How do you become a scientist without a degree?

A scientist by definition needs many years of study in whatever scientific field they are involved in.

If you look at any statistical breakdown of income/salaries based on level of education, people with degrees will make more in their lifetimes than those without a degree.

And men will make more statistically because there is still discrimination and because women take breaks in the critical years and can never catch up - not to mention that they don't have wives to help pick up slack.

Yes there are outliers - in any breakdown, there will be someone with a fourth grade education who is a millionaire and someone with a PHD who is impoverished. And some fields are more immediately lucrative than others. But the reality is for the typical person, a degree is the best investment one can make to ensure economic stability in one's lifetime and someone without a degree starts out immediately disadvantage in the work force.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:26 am
delete

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:45 am
amother wrote:

This statement is inherently false. There isn't a reputable lab that would hire anyone without a degree, (unless perhaps you discovered the cure for cancer in the lab in your basement). If you are a scientist, you have a degree.

Perhaps he worked on the degree secretly, or he may be assisting in a lab someway and adopted the title of his job on his own.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn’t count on the last part. I have an advanced degree in this field that is pretty much useless now as I did it so long ago. Going back many kids later is no shoe in even with advanced degrees.

Yes, but going back it still easier than starting from scratch at a later age.

There's no guarantee in life for anything, but if you have a degree there's a high probability it will benefit you in some way down the road. Unless you are certain that a SAHM is what you want to be until the age of retirement.

From an investment perspective, if you can do it while you're still young and you don't have too many responsibilities, it's one that offers a high rate of return.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
This statement is inherently false. There isn't a reputable lab that would hire anyone without a degree, (unless perhaps you discovered the cure for cancer in the lab in your basement). If you are a scientist, you have a degree.

Perhaps he worked on the degree secretly, or he may be assisting in a lab someway and adopted the title of his job on his own.

Which is why I take all of these stories about people with no degrees becoming rich with many grains of sand as I think they are bubbemeisters intended to convince people that the education doesn't matter.

But stating that someone without a degree is a genetic scientist is just a bridge too far in terms of credibility.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
Which is why I take all of these stories about people with no degrees becoming rich with many grains of sand as I think they are bubbemeisters intended to convince people that the education doesn't matter.

But stating that someone without a degree is a genetic scientist is just a bridge too far in terms of credibility.

The genetic scientist she refers to is the guy who started dor yeshorim
He lost several children to tay sachs
And he's very respected by scientific community

crust

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 9:58 am
amother wrote:

I dont think he's an official scientist or was hired by a lab.

He works for Jewish organizations like Bonei Olam ATime and Dor Yeshorim.

crust

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:00 am
ectomorph wrote:

There's a younger much more advanced guy.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:00 am
ectomorph wrote:

No, this is not who I am referring to.
I will not respond to posters who are calling me a liar so this is the end of the discussion for me.
Carry on....
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics