Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s the most you make without a degree
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:02 am
ectomorph wrote:
The genetic scientist she refers to is the guy who started dor yeshorim
He lost several children to tay sachs
And he's very respected by scientific community

If you are referring to the founder, he is NOT a genetic scientist.

This is not intended to discredit his achievements as an organizer.

If one is postulating that a learned Rabbi will have organization skills; administrative skills, fund raising skills, understanding of issues and contacts within the community in order to build an organization and bring others together, that would be correct but the poster claimed that a person without a degree was a genetic scientist - not that a Rabbi was the founder of an important institution.

crust

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
No, this is not who I am referring to.
I will not respond to posters who are calling me a liar so this is the end of the discussion for me.
Carry on....

Perhaps you can revise your post and instead of saying he 'is a genetic scientist' use the words; 'is doing genetic research and the scientists are amazed with his work'.

Having said that- I think its important to understand that people that have a degree worked hard for it and are therefore defensive when someome 'got there'without a degree.
They feel like 'hey! You wont take a shortcut to something I've been working so long and hard for and if you did you must be an uneducated scam'.

I'm not going to argue whether it's right or wrong I just want to point out to you that in the future, it might be smarter not to hamper with that.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
This statement is inherently false. There isn't a reputable lab that would hire anyone without a degree, (unless perhaps you discovered the cure for cancer in the lab in your basement). If you are a scientist, you have a degree.

Perhaps he worked on the degree secretly, or he may be assisting in a lab someway and adopted the title of his job on his own.

Do you know that for a fact?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
I will not respond to posters who are calling me a liar so this is the end of the discussion for me.
Carry on....

Im not calling you a liar. Im questioning the credibility of the guy who told you that he is a scientist without a degree.

And if he happens to be the one exception in a world of 7.7 billion people, then using him as an example in such a discussion is pointless and irrelevant.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Do you know that for a fact?

Pretty much so. I'm actually a middle age woman working now to get into that field. I have extensive prior knowledge that I studied through all the years on my own, and B"H been blessed with a great mind. I've spoken to many advisors and professionals in the field, and been told by every single one of them that no inroads can ever be made unless I have a degree of some sorts. It doesn't matter how good I am, the only position I would be able to get is an assistant to an underling in the lab.

No reputable lab wants to have someone without a degree on their services. Their work will be called under scrutiny, and journals won't accept papers whose authors don't have a degree.

I've gone back to college now to get my degree for it, so I can be where I want to be. Even now, when I'm almost graduating, and have very successful lab internships under my belt, I've been told to come back as soon as I have my degree.

ally

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
I know someone Chasidish who graduated from a chasidish yeshiva, and is a genetic scientist without a degree.

I have no idea how much he earns, but he contributes greatly to the community, and
who can place a monetary value on that?

Can you explain what he does?

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Whoa! I can't believe how much ppl are making here. I'm making a little over 50 after working in same place many years, with lots of skills and devotion. Am I crazy?
How does Amazon work that you can make so much $$? Whoa!
No wonder why I'm struggling and everyone else is making it...

It would be the rare exception who nets that much money from amazon because there is so much competition among sellers.

You would have to source a product that no one else has and then be able to sell it at a price that enables you to net that amount after expenses.

You would have to be selling the holy grail of objects - something with high consumer demand that stands out in the crowded amazon marketplace and which a competitor can't very quickly undercut your business.

ladYdI

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 2:07 pm
I believe she’s referring to rabbi jalas. I remember reading about him in one of the magazines. He’s from a time or bonei olam

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 2:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
It would be the rare exception who nets that much money from amazon because there is so much competition among sellers.

You would have to source a product that no one else has and then be able to sell it at a price that enables you to net that amount after expenses.

You would have to be selling the holy grail of objects - something with high consumer demand that stands out in the crowded amazon marketplace and which a competitor can't very quickly undercut your business.

My understanding is that there are a lot of successful eCommerce businesses running out of Lakewood.

simba

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 2:11 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I believe she’s referring to rabbi jalas. I remember reading about him in one of the magazines. He’s from a time or bonei olam

He is not a scientist. He may know enough to be but that doesn’t make him one.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 2:19 pm
simba wrote:
He is not a scientist. He may know enough to be but that doesn’t make him one.

Can we define the term Scientist. Chaim Jalas is very well published.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
Can we define the term Scientist. Chaim Jalas is very well published.

He himself doesn't define himself as a genetic scientist.
According to his linked in page he is the chief operations officer and director of technology.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 12:32 pm
Babyblue amother wrote:
Carry on....

I'm merely skeptical but I agree with the questions.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
He himself doesn't define himself as a genetic scientist.
According to his linked in page he is the chief operations officer and director of technology.

I was on his linkedin page. He refers to himself as a scientist, right at the top.

Here is a working definition: Scientist: a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.

thegiver

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
I think this question lends itself to Ladies, don't be misled by the responses here. Degrees are important.

I was just reading an article how there are too many ppl with degrees and how blue collar jobs are starting to make
More money as a result including women performing in those jobs

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:45 pm
1. The op's question was what is the most you can make without a degree?
The answer is there is no limit. Many highly successful businesses are owned by people without degrees. But more importantly......
2. Having a degree opens up many more opportunities and there are countless frum woman (and men) that earn a respectable living thru their degrees without which they might be stuck.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:48 pm
I'm not sure if someone who has published more than most actual scientists should not be considered a scientist because he doesn't have a degree.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
1. The op's question was what is the most you can make without a degree?
The answer is there is no limit. Many highly successful businesses are owned by people without degrees. But more importantly......
2. Having a degree opens up many more opportunities and there are countless frum woman (and men) that earn a respectable living thru their degrees without which they might be stuck.

Also a lot of skilled tradespeople who earn very nicely. As a generalization, a degree is a path to a job where you don't get your hand dirty.

shoshanim999

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 8:56 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I'm not sure if someone who has published more than most actual scientists should not be considered a scientist because he doesn't have a degree.

What exactly do you mean that he's "published" more than most scientists?

Ok, let's say he's a scientist. Let's say he's the most sophisticated and knowledgeable scientist in the world. Would you now go and suggest to a young person who wants a job in a science related field that a degree is not necessary? Since you know one person out of a million who achieved great heights without the benefit of a degree?

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 10:15 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
What exactly do you mean that he's "published" more than most scientists?

Ok, let's say he's a scientist. Let's say he's the most sophisticated and knowledgeable scientist in the world. Would you now go and suggest to a young person who wants a job in a science related field that a degree is not necessary? Since you know one person out of a million who achieved great heights without the benefit of a degree?

I was thinking about this today.

In my first week of university I learned something extremely useful.

Normal Curve / Standard Deviation - and how it 'naturally' reflects to all sorts of things. Like OPs questions.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics