Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Get your nails done?
1  2  3  4  Next

Do you have your nails done/do your own nails?
No because of Yiddishkeit  
 13%  [ 37 ]
No, just because I don't like to/don't have time/etc.  
 38%  [ 106 ]
Yes, but only clear/french/light pink/etc.  
 19%  [ 55 ]
Yes, any professional color (french/red/maroon/black/etc.)  
 14%  [ 39 ]
Yes, wild and crazy, designs, you name it.  
 2%  [ 8 ]
Yes, the full shabang (acrylic, dipping, lengthening gel, tips, etc.)  
 4%  [ 13 ]
Only my toes  
 1%  [ 5 ]
Something else  
 5%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 277

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:49 pm
Poll explains it all.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:52 pm
There isn’t anything in the poll between professional colors and going crazy.

I’m okay with all colors (except orange and yellow), but that doesn’t mean wild and crazy.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:57 pm
I don’t get them don’t because it isn’t accepted in my Chassidish community.
Nothing to do with Yiddishkeit really...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:57 pm
Maya wrote:
There isn’t anything in the poll between professional colors and going crazy.

I’m okay with all colors (except orange and yellow), but that doesn’t mean wild and crazy.

I apologize. Tried to add it but it was too late after the fact. I guess that would be something else on this poll.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:11 pm
When I was single I had my nails done each week. Now it doesn't seem worth it to me as it doesn't last the week with cooking, baths, dishes and I don't have time and always find something more important to spend the money on.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:16 pm
Im yeshivish in an in town community. It used to be (like 10-15 years ago) that in my circles you would ONLY get a sheer, light color. Recently it kind of shifted, and slowly changed the past bunch of yearsn and the same yeshivish women (myself now included) are totally fine wearing darker, opaque colors as well, but not colors like red or orange. More like taupe, light rose, gray...

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:28 pm
I wear a French. That's about as wild and crazy as it goes in my circles.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:31 pm
Im a nail biter. So tips are important. We can’t wear dark colors at work so it’s easier to just go with neutrals

serenity8843

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:36 pm
I used to get my nails done every week when I was post seminary and in shidduchim. I only selected shades of light pink (think madamoiselle). It made me feel pampered and pretty and I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it. After I got married I noticed that nail polish isn’t very much accepted in my husband’s family. As a young newly wed I wanted to fit it....so I gave it up. I really do miss it though! However, before I go to the Mikva I make an effort to get a mani pedi without nail polish as a way of pampering myself.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t get them don’t because it isn’t accepted in my Chassidish community.
Nothing to do with Yiddishkeit really...

Many get manis/pedis with no color.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:39 pm
I don't because ia frugal and busy. IMO, always having manicired nails is a sign of being high maintenance, which I am opposed to. I think it's crazy that in the past 15 years or so it went from something done only for special occasions (in my circles) to something done very regularly/always. And don't tell me these women are doing their nails at home, they aren't...

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:39 pm
What's in between red/black and light colors only? I wear gray, mauve, burgundy, etc but wouldnt wear bright red or black.
Eta I do them myself. I find it relaxing and I like finding nice colors once in a while.

Last edited by OutATowner on Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
I don't because ia frugal and busy. IMO, always having manicired nails is a sign of being high maintenance, which I am opposed to. I think it's crazy that in the past 15 years or so it went from something done only for special occasions (in my circles) to something done very regularly/always. And don't tell me these women are doing their nails at home, they aren't...

We work hard. What’s wrong with spending 10-20 dollars every other week or once a month?
I stand on my feet a whole day, a pedicure is a must every once in a while. Why should I not take care of my hands?
manicured nails does not mean high maintenance

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:

I get my nails done professionally every week, have been doing so for the past 14 years, and I don’t consider myself high maintenance. To me it’s just like wearing makeup or having a nice hairstyle, and I don’t understand why it’s considered more high maintenance than any other aspect of dressing nicely.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:54 pm
Maya wrote:
I get my nails done professionally every week, have been doing so for the past 14 years, and I don’t consider myself high maintenance. To me it’s just like wearing makeup or having a nice hairstyle, and I don’t understand why it’s considered more high maintenance than any other aspect of dressing nicely.

I think because having a manicure implies you never clean, wash dishes, or do any housework. Which for some means high maintenance.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:58 pm
sequoia wrote:
I think because having a manicure implies you never clean, wash dishes, or do any housework. Which for some means high maintenance.

Oh. I didn’t think of that.

I don’t do much housework that involves a lot of water because of a bad back, but I wear gloves when I do. Also, gel manicures (I don’t get those) last for more than two weeks and are not affected by water or housework.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:05 pm
I get them when I have time but mostly before a holiday, vacation or simcha.

It feels nice the first two days but it chips right after that...

I wear all shades of pinks, cream, light purple and gray.

On my toes I do any color.

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:13 pm
OutATowner wrote:
What's in between red/black and light colors only? I wear gray, mauve, burgundy, etc but wouldnt wear bright red or black.
Eta I do them myself. I find it relaxing and I like finding nice colors once in a while.

Those are professional colors too.

Fox

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:24 pm
I do my own -- I love doing manicures, and I have lots of the supplies for regular manicures as well as nail art. I even thought about going for training to be a licensed nail technician. I subscribe to nail art Instagram accounts and enjoy all the crazy nail art stuff.

Nowadays I just do clear polish for myself -- I'm not so crazy about colored nail polish on ladies of a certain age. But when everyone was away for Shabbos a few months ago, I did a whole crazy thing with metal studs, rhinestones, and stamps and whatnot. I had a lovely Shabbos by myself and thoroughly enjoyed my over-the-top nails.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:

Same. Exactly.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics