Moonlight

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:12 am
My jaw just dropped onto my desk.
I love to travel
I have been to
NY, NJ, OH, NV, CA, RI, MA, CT, PA, MD, FL
Canada (montreal and toronto)
Israel once

thats it. and I am by far the most traveled in my family. Oh well.
I would love to be able to say I have been to all 50 states by the time I die. That's my travel goal Smile

Last edited by Moonlight on Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:12 am
Most of my travel since I got married and had kids has been with them. DH and I have only gone away alone twice in the past 8 years. Sure it's more work to travel with kids, but it's also more work in life to have kids in the first place.

I know how much traveling with my parents opened my eyes to the world beyond the Verazzano and broadened my horizons, and I love extending the same approach to my children. My 5th grader recently calculated that he's been to 42 states, which I think is wonderful.

Doing it all without ready access to local kosher restaurants makes it a bit more complicated, but that's also part of the experience and frankly, the education we want to give our kids. Sure, kosher options in NY are wonderful, but they don't need to tie us down and limit our travel options to LA and Miami.

It's a nice treat when we find ourselves in Chicago, Atlanta, or Houston, and we love to support the local frum infrastructure, but we can enjoy ourselves just as much in Alaska and South Dakota eating food we brought from home (and we keep chalav yisrael to boot).

It helps that DH is very into the points and miles game, so typically, our flights and most of our hotels don't cost us anything out of pocket, but that just frees us up to spend more money on memorable experiences and souvenirs in whatever glorious place we find ourselves.

Everything in life involves trade-offs, and it's true that our trips aren't "vacations" in the sense that vegging in Miami would be, but nobody ever goes hungry on our trips and I don't mind the extra work in order to experience with my family the beautiful world that Hashem created for us to explore.

Moonlight

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:14 am
doctorima wrote:
Most of my travel since I got married and had kids has been with them. DH and I have only gone away alone twice in the past 8 years. Sure it's more work to travel with kids, but it's also more work in life to have kids in the first place.

I know how much traveling with my parents opened my eyes to the world beyond the Verazzano and broadened my horizons, and I love extending the same approach to my children. My 5th grader recently calculated that he's been to 42 states, which I think is wonderful.

Doing it all without ready access to local kosher restaurants makes it a bit more complicated, but that's also part of the experience and frankly, the education we want to give our kids. Sure, kosher options in NY are wonderful, but they don't need to tie us down and limit our travel options to LA and Miami.

It's a nice treat when we find ourselves in Chicago, Atlanta, or Houston, and we love to support the local frum infrastructure, but we can enjoy ourselves just as much in Alaska and South Dakota eating food we brought from home (and we keep chalav yisrael to boot).

It helps that DH is very into the points and miles game, so typically, our flights and most of our hotels don't cost us anything out of pocket, but that just frees us up to spend more money on memorable experiences and souvenirs in whatever glorious place we find ourselves.

Everything in life involves trade-offs, and it's true that our trips aren't "vacations" in the sense that vegging in Miami would be, but nobody ever goes hungry on our trips and I don't mind the extra work in order to experience with my family the beautiful world that Hashem created for us to explore.

I AM INSPIRED!!!!

amother

Rose

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:20 am
Moonlight wrote:
I AM INSPIRED!!!!

Me too!!!

amother

Mint

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:27 am
doctorima- but when? how do you and your husband have so much vacation time? do you go away for pesach? most of my dh's vacation time is spent on taking off for y"t

amother

White

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:28 am
doctorima wrote:

My parents have done the same Bh! I am extremely grateful and hope to do it for my kids one day.

That being said it does require a certain financial reality (we travelled pretty frugally but still, my father had to take time off from work which was possible because he’s his own boss. My mom was SAHM so it allowed her to have the household under control before/after and pack up) this is not to say that it’s easy or you have to be rich, but it was just my reality call- got married and my husband is bh in school, for a profession that probably won’t leave much time for travel in the early years. This is the first year of my life I haven’t travelled internationally but I’m learning to appreciate what my parents created for me and hope to prioritize it in the future, and investing in my husband’s career that will hopefully allow us to do so.

princessleah

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:30 am
Arkansas
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Hawaii (honeymoon!)
Illinois
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee (Graceland)
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin

Belarus (Minsk)
Lithuania
Russia (St. Petersburg)
Israel
England
Scotland
France
Spain
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark (for 1 night)
Italy
Poland (March of the Living)
Bermuda
Canada (Ontario and Quebec)

amother

Beige

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Czech Republic
Holland
Greece
Turkey
Morocco
Spain
Gibraltar
France
Italy
Switzerland
England
Scotland
Iceland
Ukraine
Costa Rica
Peurto Rico
Peru
Bermuda
Bahamas
Egypt
Jordan
Israel
Canada
Thailand
Kenya

I may be forgetting some

Show off😡
This is called living. I'd love to meet you and hear about your travels.

doctorima

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
doctorima- but when? how do you and your husband have so much vacation time? do you go away for pesach? most of my dh's vacation time is spent on taking off for y"t

Definitely valid questions. Surprisingly, we do not go away for Pesach. DH is his own boss and has a significant amount of flexibility that allows him to travel, and if need be, work remotely at nights after the kids go to sleep.

I work full-time, but my job gives me a generous amount of annual vacation days (that I'm also able to rollover from one year to the next). I've also been there long enough to have lots of seniority, and my (non-Jewish) boss kindly lets me use some of my sick days for Yomim Tovim instead. There have also been times that DH starts a trip with the kids, and I fly in and meet them somewhere in the middle to save on my vacation days.

I'm not saying it's easy and that everyone can do what I do, just like I can't do everything they can do. If you're in school full-time with 3 babies under the age of 4, it's not a good year to go to Iceland. And if you can't pay your utilities, you're not flying the family to Paris.

But you'd be surprised how far you can go with credit card points. Our flights usually cost us $5.60 per person (mandatory government fees), and we've stayed in amazing hotel suites that didn't cost us a penny.

Every family has its own realities and limitations (including ours). I was just responding to OP who asked how it can be done with kids, and another poster who asked how we get to so many exotic destinations, and pointing out that with a change in mindset, an entire world of possibility literally opens up just outside your door.

dankbar

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:59 am
From Israel to Europe is cheaper & easier to travel than from America. A ticket can be 50_200. Whereas international transatlantic would be anywhere bw 500_2000.

dankbar

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:00 am
Going to another country there is like domestic in the States

amother

Mint

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:03 am
doctor ima thank you for explaining. for us it's more the vacation day issue than the cost which is why I asked my question. I realize for different people it's different issues. we are hoping that once my dh retires ( which won't be for some time) then we can go travelling Smile

amother

Orchid

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:06 am
States
NY
NJ
CA
OH
MI
Washington DC
MD
FL
Hawaii as a baby, so it didn't count Smile
Nevada as really little kid, so I'm not counting it either.

Toronto, Canada

Eretz Yisrael

I've lived in two of the aforementioned states and EY.

flowerpower

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:11 am
doctorima wrote:

That’s really amazing! How do you accumulate so many points and miles to pay for all the tickets plus hotel?

doctorima

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:31 am
flowerpower wrote:
That’s really amazing! How do you accumulate so many points and miles to pay for all the tickets plus hotel?

Short answer: Dansdeals Smile

Longer answer: As I wrote, DH is very into this, and every few months, he opens up several new credit cards, and by spending a certain amount on each, we get massive sign-up bonuses that cover our flights and lodging. We pay tuition and maaser using credit cards, and DH is always giving me new cards for grocery shopping, etc.

Even after the sign-up bonuses, you can earn more points just from daily spending as well, though not nearly as much. We do them all - Chase Ultimate Rewards, AMEX Membership Rewards, Citi Thank-You, Delta, United, Southwest, American, Jetblue, Alaskan, etc. His and hers sign-up bonuses for a card or two is usually enough to fly an entire family (depending on the size of your "entire" Smile round-trip and then some (international flights cost more).

And since I'm always asked, we pay off every card in full every month and never spend a penny on late fees. And both of us have credit scores of 800+ which are not destroyed by constantly opening up cards, as people frequently think (though if you're about to buy a house and get a mortgage, you should definitely take a break until after the closing).

People know about airline points, but not as well-known are the hotel credit cards (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) that have enabled us to stay in some very spacious, high-end rooms for no out-of-pocket cost.

There's even a wonderful website called awardmapper.com that has a map of the entire world, labelled with all the hotels from the various chains that can be booked with points. You can specify which chains it should show you based on which "currencies" you have. When DH knows what area we'll be in on a given night, he checks there to see what lodging options exist and works from there. The site isn't so well-maintained and some of the listings are out-of-date, but it's a phenomenal starting point.

Hope this helps! Let's get this thread back to travel destinations, or perhaps if there's enough requests, maybe I'll start a S/O.

Beingreal

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:41 pm
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Cleveland
Colombus
New York
New Jersey
Eretz Yisroel
Denver Colorado
Scottsdale Arizona
Niagra Falls
Montreal
Toronto
Buffalo
Thousand Island
Tennesee
Lake George
North Caralina
Florida
Bahamas

Am I missing something? My family is big on family trips

amother

Burlywood

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:37 pm
doctorima wrote:
Short answer: Dansdeals Smile
Hope this helps! Let's get this thread back to travel destinations, or perhaps if there's enough requests, maybe I'll start a S/O.

Yes please, start a s/o!
I'm like you're husband, obsessed with miles, points and credit cards. Dansdeals (and others) are visited even more than Imamother! First child is on the way, both dh and I about to start rigorous programs, and so sad that our travels will be curtailed in a big way for a while Sad

Besides for many states and Israel multiple times, I've been to:
Phillipines
Thailand
Hong Kong
Maldives (THE BEST!)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland
Amsterdam
England
Bucket list places are South Africa, Bora Bora, and of course Antarctica!
Love this thread!

etg

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:04 pm
Aside for doing an actual week-long tour of Manhattan (you would not believe how many unique and fun activities can be found in your own backyard), I have vacationed in:
Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Port RI, Lancaster PA, Orlando FL, Los Angeles CA, Niagara Falls, Israel, Iceland, Switzerland, Italy.

amother

White

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
Yes please, start a s/o!
I'm like you're husband, obsessed with miles, points and credit cards. Dansdeals (and others) are visited even more than Imamother! First child is on the way, both dh and I about to start rigorous programs, and so sad that our travels will be curtailed in a big way for a while Sad

Besides for many states and Israel multiple times, I've been to:
Phillipines
Thailand
Hong Kong
Maldives (THE BEST!)
Australia
New Zealand
Iceland
Amsterdam
England
Bucket list places are South Africa, Bora Bora, and of course Antarctica!
Love this thread!

How where what in the phillipines? Is it pretty? Scenic? Modern in any way? Any kosher/ Jewish infrastructure?

Also travelled quite a bit (not as much as some of u here tho- so cool!) pregnant with my first and husband selling his soul for a career lol. However I am keeping my bucket list alive and hoping for the best.

amother

Cyan

Post  Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:37 pm
My house
My mothers house
MIL's house
Sisters house
NJ

What's the idea of showing off with all the places you visited? Wanna boast about how wealthy you are or want others to envy you and become in bad mood because they couldn't afford to travel these places... what's your goal in posting this question?
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h