Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Striking the balance

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:09 am
13 yr old is constantly coming home from school w/ new fashion updates- and new demands on what he must have. Sometimes not such a big deal- like when his friend told him his belt is more Shabbosdik and it's better to have a simpler one for the week. That week belts were on sale for cheap and not such a big deal to have 2, so I bought it. Then his yarmulke is too faded or things like that. Not too expensive, easier to not make a big deal. But feel like it's giving in to peer pressure. On the other hand, this kids teva is obviously that he cares a lot abt how things look (he irons his own shirts too!) and doesn't have to be bad. WWYD?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:16 am
I would decide on a certain amount of money like an allowance and let him decide which purchases are worthwhile to buy and which ones will go out of style as soon as they came in. He should be the one budgeting the money or earning more if he really feels that he 'must' have it. Bhatzlocha

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:26 am
I think it's wonderful that he cares about making a good appearance. As long as he's not pushing you out of your budget to have "trendy" things, then I feel like it's OK.

Too many boys out there don't care at all, and their wives end up suffering for it. Nobody likes a stinky shlub.

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:21 am
ITA with Shish and FF.

It doesn't hurt to have some non-specific conversations about striking a balance between looking nice, having some nice things you enjoy, and becoming a slave to them. Don't do this when there's a specific item under discussion. Just launch a conversation when everyone is relaxed or even when you're trying to decide on a purchase.

Dealing with teens is like living in a butterfly garden. You have to stay very still for them to light on you. You have to handle them gently. You have to be sure not to crush them on the way out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children