Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One sink vs. two
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:45 pm
For people who have experience with both, which way works better in a kitchen, one or two sinks? Can you please explain why? Thank you

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:47 pm
If you have the space and finances for sure two.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:50 pm
SuperWify wrote:
If you have the space and finances for sure two.

Can you please explain why?

I never had two, so I don’t know if that dream is worth spending money on.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Can you please explain why?

I never had two, so I don’t know if that dream is worth spending money on.

Because when you have two sinks full of dirty dishes- one meat and one dairy- where do you keep the dishes until your ready to wash them?

meme6

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:57 pm
My sis has one and she can’t put her dishes in her sink the basins are to small her counters always have dishes. Two sinks is more convenient across the board you will not regret it

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:09 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Because when you have two sinks full of dirty dishes- one meat and one dairy- where do you keep the dishes until your ready to wash them?

All over the kitchen counters.. embarrassed

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 2:06 pm
I’ve never not had a double sink. My grandmother never didn’t have a double sink. I never knew till adulthood that there was such a thing as a single sink. Not because everyone was kosher but because in the dark ages when our buildings were built, people used one sink for dishes and one for laundry, so all sinks were double. And back in the dark ages they came with a porcelain slab to cover one side, which served as a base for your dish drainer rack. Nowadays if you want a cover you have to supply your own.

Frankly I don’t know how anyone manages to keep a kosher kitchen with a single sink. I would love to have two separate full sinks on opposite sides of the kitchen—that would be my ideal, but it’s not happening.

I don’t understand frum people who put in a single sink. I’ve lived in three apartments with new sinks and always paid the landlord extra to put in a double sink. Well worth the money.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 2:39 pm
I grew up with one. Now I much prefer two sinks.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 2:47 pm
I lived in apartment building that had 1 sink. And when we moved into our house, we only had room for 1 sink as well. When we finally did a renovation, we made sure to put 2 sinks, and what a difference it is. Especially on Shabbos, when I have dishes in the sink, I can have people wash in the other empty dairy sink. When cooking, I can place dirty dishes into the sink, instead of taking over valuable counter space. I can cook on the meat side, and my girls can cook and bake, over on the dairy side, instead of having to wait in between.

If you have the space and the budget, it is a must in a kosher kitchen.

Shuly

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:07 pm
I had one sink for years and when I moved to a new apt. with 2 sinks, it made a world of a difference in terms of kashrus and cleanliness.
It's a double sink but I'm dreaming of 2 sinks on opposite sides of the room one day!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:08 pm
I have two sinks but with a shared faucet. I hate it. When I can afford to, I intend to make certain upgrades to my kitchen that include two separate sinks.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:09 pm
We always lived in rentals that had one sink.

To the poster who mentioned it: the way to keep a kosher home in such a situation is to never put anything in the sink but to hold everything in your hands, always. Also to not pour (very) hot water.

If we were to invest into getting the second sink, is it more convenient to have them next to each other or in different parts of the kitchen?

Thans!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:15 pm
2 sinks hands down. If you have the option, there's absolutely no comparison.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
We always lived in rentals that had one sink.

To the poster who mentioned it: the way to keep a kosher home in such a situation is to never put anything in the sink but to hold everything in your hands, always. Also to not pour (very) hot water.

If we were to invest into getting the second sink, is it more convenient to have them next to each other or in different parts of the kitchen?

Thans!

I’ve never had one sink. It sounds pretty inconvenient.

When I was first married I had 2 sinks. Now I have a double. Doubles are fine if they’re deep and wide enough, but nothing beats 2 completely separate sinks. If I had that option, I would definitely put in 2 separate ones.

meme6

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:19 pm
OP Different sides of the kitchen is best!

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:24 pm
3 sinks... Smile
My parents have 3. When I got married and only had 2 it took a lot of adjusting. Where do you put the parve dishes when they need to be washed? Whet sink do you wash them in?
So, sorry for not being really helpful, but I vote for 3.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have two sinks but with a shared faucet. I hate it. When I can afford to, I intend to make certain upgrades to my kitchen that include two separate sinks.

Shared faucet is what we are considering: why do you hate it?

Thanks!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:28 pm
doctorima wrote:
2 sinks hands down. If you have the option, there's absolutely no comparison.

Can you explain why?

Thanks

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:29 pm
meme6 wrote:
OP Different sides of the kitchen is best!

Can you explain why?

Thanks

cooksallday

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:33 pm
I have one very large sink in the apartment we are renting. We keep separate plastic basins for milk and meat under the sink and bring one up when in use. This way we can also keep some dishes there if need be. Not optimal but it works for us. My parents have 2 sinks together but it's not perfect because water comes up into the drain sometimes from the other side. Kashrus wise not great.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen