Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o errands
1  2  Next

srbmom

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:39 pm
Just curious what errands everyone is running? Aside for the grocery where do you go on a weekly basis?
I usually do a special trip to Costco once a month, sometimes I'll have to go and return something I ordered online... But not much else. I feel so boring Confused

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:43 pm
dry cleaner drop offs
dry cleaner pick ups
seamstress drop offs
seamstress pick ups
shipping center drop offs
post office
shoe repair

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:44 pm
My errands vary by week, there's always things to take care of.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:51 pm
"errands" was a word I used as a sahm if someone asked what I do with my time. Of course there are some errands but it really isn't the everyday/several hours that some make it out to be.

simba

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:00 pm
This past Sunday:
Get a refill for my seltzer machine
Pick up cleaners
Tights for my daughter
Pick up more chapstick and Tylenol
Peak at boys suits (yes, I’m already thinking about Pesach)
Drop of sheitel to fix the broken clip

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:00 pm
Doctors visits (frequent in my house due to various issues)
groceries (oot so I shop in a few different places)
Clothing for the kids (collecting hand me downs from neighbors)
random(key needs to be copied, child needs glasses, DMV)
car needs work

I actually cant figure out how full time working moms out of the house with little kids do it.

I guess if your kids are all healthy and your car never needs fixing it could happen.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:06 pm
Every day is diff.
Today I went to get a massage to release stress.which I got gifted from an organization that's trying to help me.
Went to my dgtrs bday party in school.

Yest: went to get my sheitel done for my niece's wedding.
Facial waxing for my male pattern hair.
Dropped off papers to govt social services office.
Stepped into a place that was having a pop up sale but didn't buy anything

Last week.
Went to local stores to find a dress for myself for nieces wedding (as nothing in my closet fits me 🤔. ) no luck with that because everything is crazy prices even with sale or makes me look even fatter than I am.

Tomm annual gyn appt in Manhattan.
Returns to Gap. Maybe I'll find the lucky dress by Macys. Wish me luck.

There's so much to do. Always something that needs to be tended to.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:57 pm
I work full time but today still had to take dd for a hair cut and blow out. Go to my hair dresser for my wig. Stop at the supermarket for lunch since I forgot to bring with me to work.
Yesterday I had to meet the welder back at home during the day to fix the railing. Had to take the kids to the OT therapy gym evening time.
Sunday I took the kids to 3 more appointments. Bought more tights since dd's keep getting holes. Dropped them off at Sunday program.
I've been pushing off dropping off 2 returns at the UPS center. Now I realize other dd needs tights replaced as well.
Lots still on my list. Always ongoing.

thriver

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:34 pm
Now that I am home more and working less, I seem to have more grocery shopping to do. I do live OOT—and like one of the other posters said—there is no one-stop shopping here. But when I worked more hours I would be more organized and do more bulk shopping less frequently. Now I do more smaller grocery runs very often. I have a friend with a growing family who works long hours. She explains her ability to function as life’s demands grow in that she expands herself. There’s definitely truth to that. I wouldn’t mind being busier and being forced to be more organized...

mig100

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:04 pm
srbmom wrote:
Just curious what errands everyone is running? Aside for the grocery where do you go on a weekly basis?
I usually do a special trip to Costco once a month, sometimes I'll have to go and return something I ordered online... But not much else. I feel so boring Confused

Me too. I got to the grocery store and bakery across the street from my work on a good day. Everything else just doesnt happen.🤣🤣🤣

I do need to make it to the bank also

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
dry cleaner drop offs
dry cleaner pick ups
seamstress drop offs
seamstress pick ups
post office
shoe repair

this is weekly errands?
why do your shoes keep breaking? how often are you fixing clothing? what are you mailing already?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
this is weekly errands?
why do your shoes keep breaking? how often are you fixing clothing? what are you mailing already?

She’s buying spring clothing online. Mail returns what doesn’t fit and altering what she wants to keep. 😁 Shoe repair was a one off.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:26 pm
Library
Bank/atm
Gas station to fill up car
Amazon or ups returns to
Post office
Pharmacy for prescriptions
Hair cuttery/barber
Besides regular grocery/target/Wal-Mart shopping for food and sundries
Some may be weekly, bimonthly, or monthly.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
this is weekly errands?

I can't answer for her but some people's lives are just very busy. Right now I'm very busy from my home business and dont have a large family so don't go anywhere. But imagine someone with 10 kids (I come from such a family) - this literally can be a typical day (oot)

Drop off at the babysitter
Go to work
Pick kid up from school for an orthodontist appointment
Dorp them back off
Go to a supermarket that has the kosher section for some things
Then go to costco
Go to the bank so you don't have to wait for a check to clear on your phone
A kid could need new shoes, coat, tights,
Drive a 7th grader over to someone's house so they can do homework together.and babysit her family
Pick her up later
Going to the cleaners can for sure be an every week thing if you have a lot of bochurim!
Go to the pharmacy to pick up a refill

Literally the list can go on and on...

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
dry cleaner drop offs
dry cleaner pick ups
seamstress drop offs
seamstress pick ups
post office
shoe repair

WHAT ABOUT FOOD AND GROCERIES
BANK
MECHANIC

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:56 pm
School
Supermarket(s)
Bakery
Library
Bank
Pharmacy
Gas station
Pediatrician
Dentist
Allergist
Dermatologist
Eye doctor
Amazing Savings
Costco
Walmart
Target
Hardware store
Sundries store (socks/tights/etc)
Clothing shopping
Michael's
Haircuts
Sheitelmacher
Car stuff (oil change, inspection, flat tire, etc)

On Sundays the kids have birthday parties and bar or bat mitzvahs or extracurriculars or play dates and we only have one car to chauffeur them around.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:30 am
Ladies, please try e-pay options and online shopping.
Not sure about all banks, but many allow mailing in checks (if you still get those), or scanning it into your phone.
If you live in a large Jewish community, chances are very likely that your supermarket can put together the order for you. (Maybe other type communities too.)
See if your local dry cleaners has pick up and delivery.
USPS does pickups at my door for free (you can request pickup online)
UPS charges for pickups but it may be worth it for you.
My community also has dry good delivery available with phone/email orders (taking care of tights a couple of people mentioned.)
I think I see the retail part of town 4-5 times a year...

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 3:17 am
Online grocery delivery in my city has to be done several days in advance. So even if I would do it, anything that runs out in the days between I still have to go buy. And they send the worst produce so I still have to go every 2nd day to replenish our fruits and vegetables.
With 5 kids and 2 adults (DH has no time for errands, it's all on me) we have a lot going on. I epay all bills and do as much as I can online. But Amazon takes 2-3 weeks to deliver to Israel so that's not a viable option either.
Dry cleaning drop off Sunday and pick up Thursday.
Kids come home all the time with random requests for things they need for school, or someone's shoes broke that day, or someone lost a kippah, etc.
We moved in to a new home this year so there are always small things I need to pick up.
No pharmacies deliver.
Last week I needed to get my rings resized, that was one day for drop off and pickup the next day. Every week there's something like this that comes up.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 6:25 am
I do my main grocery shopping Sunday plus a fill in on my way home Thursday.
Pharmacy once in a while.
Bank.
Drop off or pick up something from a friend.
Amazing savings every few weeks.
Dropping off returns.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Ladies, please try e-pay options and online shopping.
Not sure about all banks, but many allow mailing in checks (if you still get those), or scanning it into your phone.
If you live in a large Jewish community, chances are very likely that your supermarket can put together the order for you. (Maybe other type communities too.)
See if your local dry cleaners has pick up and delivery.
USPS does pickups at my door for free (you can request pickup online)
UPS charges for pickups but it may be worth it for you.
My community also has dry good delivery available with phone/email orders (taking care of tights a couple of people mentioned.)
I think I see the retail part of town 4-5 times a year...

A lot of these require being home for them. It’s easier for me to stop at the post office or ups for a minute on my way home with baby in tow than to stay home for the whole pick up window.
My grocery doesn’t deliver Sunday’s and I don’t want my chicken waiting outside all day until I get home.
There’s no way to get cash other than going to the bank, and I have quite a few people who need to be paid in cash.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics