Home

Would you take the baby to the doctor?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 1:12 pm
I'm going to assume that the last 2 posters are not in Israel. Smile

Since both doctors are on the same kupah and in the same small city (just different clinics), she didn't feel right about it. The secretary said she would only be willing to see us if our regular doctor wasn't working then. So I just have to find a day when she's working and he's not, and it should all be good.
Back to top

Shuly




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 2:00 pm
You are allowed to get a second opinion in Israel.
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:04 pm
You could also tell the doctor that you want to rule out pertussis since it’s very similar symptoms. Ask them to please test for it.
Back to top

caza




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
We just got back from the ER. In case I was still having doubts about going, she had her worst attack so far just before we left. We stopped in the bank and while we were on line, she had an attack that lasted about 4 minutes and ended with her throwing up. It was bad enough that 3 tellers came over to help.

The doctor diagnosed her with....a throat infection. He checked her over and said everything seemed fine except for a red and infected throat. He said that at this age it's always viral so there's not much to do about it. He said the cough is due to whatever's going on in her throat. (???) He claimed that whooping cough doesn't present as a cough in a 4-month-old but rather as apneas, which she hasn't had. He also said that based on her family history of asthma, this could be asthma related as well, as in babies her age, it sometimes presents this way.

In short, he felt no need to swab for pertussis and expects her to be better within a couple of days.

OH no! I actually have some videos of my daughter from when that was happening, if you need I can send it. It does look very similar to the video but my baby nearly stopped breathing.
If this persists then I would definitely ask for a Videofluroscopy swallow study which would show where the fluids and foods are going and possible silent reflux.
Back to top

amother




Wine


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:25 pm
If I was you I would be incredibly pushy until I got my child tested for pertussis and a chest xray or ultrasound, a swallow study, and anything else that it could be.
When you insist on a specific test a dr cannot really refuse because if it turns out you were right and he refused to test you can sue him.
And I would do that pushing in the ER. Literally refuse to leave until they test.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:56 pm
Thanks everyone. Yes, I know you can get a 2nd opinion, but this was clearly about some inner politics.

She had a bunch of attacks tonight and I managed to get a few videos. If she's not better by Sunday, I'll head to yet a different doctor and plead my case.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:58 pm
Iymnok wrote:
You could also tell the doctor that you want to rule out pertussis since it’s very similar symptoms. Ask them to please test for it.


I tried to do this today, but the doctor was confident that's not what it was because A: He claimed that at this age, pertussis causes apnea, not cough, and B: I was vaccinated. There wasn't much else I could do.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:01 pm
caza wrote:
OH no! I actually have some videos of my daughter from when that was happening, if you need I can send it. It does look very similar to the video but my baby nearly stopped breathing.
If this persists then I would definitely ask for a Videofluroscopy swallow study which would show where the fluids and foods are going and possible silent reflux.


Thank you! I'll keep this in mind if it persists. I may also ask you to send the videos before I speak to the doctor.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
If I was you I would be incredibly pushy until I got my child tested for pertussis and a chest xray or ultrasound, a swallow study, and anything else that it could be.
When you insist on a specific test a dr cannot really refuse because if it turns out you were right and he refused to test you can sue him.
And I would do that pushing in the ER. Literally refuse to leave until they test.


If need be, we will head back to the ER. I assume they'll do further testing if she's no better by then. And now I have videos to show them.
Back to top

amother




Green


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
I tried to do this today, but the doctor was confident that's not what it was because A: He claimed that at this age, pertussis causes apnea, not cough, and B: I was vaccinated. There wasn't much else I could do.


Side point, but this is one of the DISadvantages of vaccines. That doctors (and yours is far from the only one) won't even consider that disease as an option.

OP, I hope you get the help your baby needs and Refuah sheleima.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:23 pm
Amen. Thank you.

Just an interesting observation, though I don't know its significance: I've noticed that after she eats, she has one attack after another. About half an hour later, they fizzle out. I don't know what to make of it but will mention it to the doctor if we go back.
Back to top

rd




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:02 pm
I'm in Israel. my 4 year old d had these long bad coughing attacks, basically in the middle of the night and in the morning. the doctor said she's immunized but it still might be a light case of whooping cough so I've been giving her Azenil (antibiotic) and she's much better BH!!! he said its hard to diagnose but not hard to treat so lets treat it.
Refuah Sheleima!!!
Back to top

NovelConcept




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:49 pm
I think it is important to note that vomiting with coughing is a common symptom of whopping cough.

I once had it that my child was so incredibly sick that she was lethargic, one foot in the grave. A severe infection, but because my doctor gave her Motrin before she went into ER by ambulance, they told me I was just imagining things. (This child responds almost magically to Motrin.)
I was sent home. By next morning the baby was literally gray and would fall over if picked upright. Just slump down, at nearly a year old.
A different doctor at our peds office looked at her and started screaming that the ER almost killed her.
BH one dose of antibiotics later and she was on the mend.

Doctors can be really dumb at times. Especially in the ER.
That's why I didn't comment after you said you came back from doctor and he said it's not Whooping Cough. People don't like to hear that Big Doc may be wrong.

Can you go to a different ER?
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Thu, Jan 10 2019, 8:15 pm
I found this article very helpful when my newborn was coughing.
https://www.parents.com/baby/h.....bys-cough/
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 1:39 am
rd wrote:
I'm in Israel. my 4 year old d had these long bad coughing attacks, basically in the middle of the night and in the morning. the doctor said she's immunized but it still might be a light case of whooping cough so I've been giving her Azenil (antibiotic) and she's much better BH!!! he said its hard to diagnose but not hard to treat so lets treat it.
Refuah Sheleima!!!


Amen. I'm definitely going to follow up if she doesn't improve.

BH she had a quiet night and has had no attacks so far today. She did the same thing the previous night though and then had 3 attacks over the course of yesterday morning, so I can't say we're out of the woods yet, but here's hoping.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 1:41 am
NovelConcept wrote:
I think it is important to note that vomiting with coughing is a common symptom of whopping cough.

I once had it that my child was so incredibly sick that she was lethargic, one foot in the grave. A severe infection, but because my doctor gave her Motrin before she went into ER by ambulance, they told me I was just imagining things. (This child responds almost magically to Motrin.)
I was sent home. By next morning the baby was literally gray and would fall over if picked upright. Just slump down, at nearly a year old.
A different doctor at our peds office looked at her and started screaming that the ER almost killed her.
BH one dose of antibiotics later and she was on the mend.

Doctors can be really dumb at times. Especially in the ER.
That's why I didn't comment after you said you came back from doctor and he said it's not Whooping Cough. People don't like to hear that Big Doc may be wrong.

Can you go to a different ER?


Thanks for sharing this. I traveled a bit further to go to the best pediatric ER in the area. The closer one to us is known to be terrible. So I'm not sure I can find a better place.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 1:43 am
amother wrote:
I found this article very helpful when my newborn was coughing.
https://www.parents.com/baby/h.....bys-cough/


Her cough sounds exactly like the pertussis video except she's not doing that high-pitched whoop at the end. Also, the video says that usually babies will first appear to have a cold for a week or two before developing this cough, and with her that's not the case. She was perfectly fine before this started.

In any case, my plan is to monitor until Sunday. If she's not better by then, I take her and the videos I now have to a doctor who I heard is really great and see what she says. But I'm really hoping that she'll turn the corner over Shabbos.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 4:19 am
Update: After my previous post, she starting having attack after attack and this time I heard that high-pitched whoop, and even managed to capture it on video. I was able to get an appointment this morning with our regular doctor, so I went back to him with the video. At first he didn't want to watch it because he said he believed me that her cough was bad, but I convinced him to. About 2 minutes into the clip (it was a long fit), he wrote her a prescription for Azenil. He said it won't hurt her even if it's not whooping cough and he did hear the whoop himself.

So I guess I'll never know for sure if that's what she has, but I feel better this way.

I also asked the secretary if I'm allowed to go to a different clinic when our pediatrician is in and she said that I'm not, but I can go when he doesn't have hours.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement now. Thanks to you all for your help.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 5:13 am
Op have they ruled out RSV (bronchiolitis)? My baby was having similar symptoms but is younger than yours and therefore we had no choice but to go to the ER where we have been admitted for a few days. They ran a whole bunch of tests bec she’s so little but they also swabbed her nose and mouth to know exactly which virus and came back as RSV.

It extremely common. In fact when I came to my room the baby next to mine had it. They BH left and another baby came in with it. The doctors and nurses all said the hospital is full with Babies who have it right now bec it’s the winter season and effects younger babies. (In older children it presents as a simple cold but for those under 1yr it can be much worse.)

The hospital will only admit if the oxygen saturation levels are low or dehydration for this virus. It is viral and really just needs supportive care. Our baby’s saturation was low and dehydrated slightly bec of the vomiting.

It’s just something to keep in mind. The drs day it gets worse on day 3 and 4 (there is no cold for a week. It just happens. I even have a video of the morning before the coughing started. My mother couldn’t believe when I told her we ended up two days later in the hospital bec she was fine in that video I sent her!)

I had taken her the day before to our ped and she had Wanted us that it might be this and to keep an eye if it gets worse. The next night we called and I described her symptoms and she said go straight.

Just some food for thought.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 5:37 am
Thanks for sharing. One of my other kids had RSV as a baby and was intubated in the PICU for some time, so I know quite a bit about it. She doesn't seem to have RSV though. She's too healthy in between coughing fits for that IMHO.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How to plan when expecting a baby that week?
by amother
14 Yesterday at 11:45 pm View last post
Baby monitor for the bungalow
by amother
3 Yesterday at 9:14 pm View last post
Do you gift for every baby?
by amother
13 Yesterday at 12:19 pm View last post
Baby and bottle
by amother
18 Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:08 am View last post
First Choice baby food jars
by amother
15 Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:01 pm View last post

Jump to: