Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Translating hand written letter from yiddish to English

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 1:24 am
An acquaintance of mine was doing some cleaning and came across a hand written letter from her grandfather to her mother written in Yiddish. She is looking for help translating the letter. I have what I hope are decent pictures, (please try to click into the pictures so you can zoom a bit before declaring them illegible. If needed I will try to arrange to scan them) This is not a quick easy job and would require some time. I'd be happy to give a little something for your time, bc I know this isn't a small job.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 4:46 am
I'm trying. It's definitely a different dialect then the Yiddish I speak and the handwriting is not perfectly clear.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:08 am
Dear Children,
I'm coming to you with my advice by handwriting because I don't want to be ????? You may ignore me so it's better for me not to see you throwing this away. I beg you don't throw it out before you ???? ???.
I don't put myself under you to lick shoes, a ?????? problem. Not in my practical life and not in my old age either. Even her kids don't want to. Is ???? to laugh from life, everything by ???? ???? (to mother?)
With G-DS help you go build with joy your house. Don't take ??? ??? (baths?) . Also you should be understanding to give ???? concrete

Page 1 complete

Foundation and also walls, ceilings and especially a good roof over your head but we need to be careful from rain.
It doesn't matter the amount of rain. It's a notorious problem, there shouldn't be and ther CANT be a leak so that it doesn't drip in .
????? Is not healthy and it's disease so make sure it doesn't have holes so that it doesn't leak. Once everything is complete and solid then with your own cash investment , and ???? you can decorate your home with the most expensive paintings and the best furniture . Then you will know that there will be shalom. Build a happy home.

Page 2 Complete

To be continued...

Last edited by thunderstorm on Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:52 am; edited 9 times in total

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:09 am
Esther Chanie Dushinsky (you can find her on Facebook) does this kind of translation professionally.

jkw

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:09 am
Maybe Yad Vashem can help?

crust

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:13 am
I dont have time to read through the entire letter now but he starts like this;
"I am advising you in writing because it'll be better if I will not be there while you ignore me."

Smart man lol

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:36 am
I don’t think it’s a good idea for this letter to be posted publically in its entirety. It may have very personal things in it

mom2dkay

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:56 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Dear Children,
I'm coming to you with my advice by handwriting because I don't want to be there You may ignore me so it's better for me not to see you throwing this away. I beg you don't throw it out before you read it through
I don't put myself under you to lick shoes, a ?????? problem. Not in my practical life and not in my old age either. Even her kids don't want to. Is ???? to learn from life, everything by example from another
With G-DS help you go build with joy your house. Don't take wide? (baths?) . Also you should be understanding to give solid concrete

Page 1 complete

Foundation and also walls, ceilings and especially a good roof over your head but we need to be careful from rain.
It doesn't matter the amount of rain. It's a notorious problem, there shouldn't be and ther CANT be a leak so that it doesn't drip in .
Moisture Is not healthy and it's disease so make sure it doesn't have holes so that it doesn't leak. Once everything is complete and solid then with your own cash investment , and small mortgage you can decorate your home with the most expensive paintings and the best furniture . Then you will know that there will be shalom. Build a happy home.

Page 2 Complete

To be continued...

This is not real Yiddish...
A lot of English words spelled out with Yiddish letters.

Last edited by mom2dkay on Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

spoiled

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 8:26 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Esther Chanie Dushinsky (you can find her on Facebook) does this kind of translation professionally.

She is on imamother as well;-)

crust

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:16 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I don’t think it’s a good idea for this letter to be posted publically in its entirety. It may have very personal things in it

It doesn't have any personal details.
Its a letter that a parent is writing to one of his children with benign advice for a solid marriage and some tips how to take care of their finances.

It's cute.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:20 pm
crust wrote:
It doesn't have any personal details.
Its a letter that a parent is writing to one of his children with benign advice for a solid marriage and some tips how to take care of their finances.

It's cute.

Ah so it is in the wrong forum Smile

chicken

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:33 pm
I think she details how to keep a house physically in shape, probably alluding to doing so spiritually. She details how to first make sure the foundation is solid and the roof has no leaks before decorating it. Anyone here thinks I misread it?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 3:33 pm
shyshira wrote:
Ah so it is in the wrong forum Smile

I chose this forum bc when I searched for translation help, this is the forum that most of those threads we're posted.

Also a HUGE thank you to everyone who is so willing to help. Those who have posted translations or sent me PM's . I am so grateful for your generosity and time.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:57 pm
I totally want to help you, especially since you were so kind to all of us and made avatars. That being said, I'm having a hard time with the handwriting, but I'll try to print it out tomorrow and see if that helps.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 7:13 pm
This is what I do. If you want to pay you can pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics