Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
High school requesting photo w/application-norm?
Previous  1  2  3

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
Is it wrong to do the same for a shidduch? I don't think so.
I think the way we look and dress and walk and talk says alot about who we are.
If a perspective inlaw wants to see the other party before the shidduch, it is not only recommended, but a must, in my mind.

Don't get me started on this....my pet peeve. I am very not into shidduch pictures.

I definitely remember giving pictures with my girls' high school applications. I have no idea what the purpose was, but never made a big deal about it.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 3:09 pm
Op here

I’m not trying to read into it.

Just wanted to find out if it’s a standard practice, or a wacko thing that a particular school does (which would practically mean “stay away”, lol).
It helps to understand the context.

Thanks everyone.

rzab

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 2:46 pm
I know that a lot of people have given this answer already, but since I know first hand I figured I would answer as well. I work on the admissions committee of a high school. We ask for pictures to make the process easier on ourselves. Some days I interview 6 girls in a row. After a while it can be a little confusing. I try to take notes, but sometimes I notice that note-taking makes the student nervous so I stop. When the comitee sits down to discuss the applicants I often look at the picture to jog my memory. During the interview I will even write if the applicant looks different then the picture. For example if she is wearing glasses at the interview but not in the picture. After that we copy the pictures and give it out to the teachers just to make the first week of school a little smoother. I never thought that anyone would think otherwise, I hope no one is insulted by this.

I think the reasons it happens in hs and not elementary is in general elementary schools are much less selective. If the family fits they are good to go. Colleges don't do it because unfortunately that process is more about your transcripts and numbers and less about who you are as a person
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children