Home

What was your baby's first word?
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Puce


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:16 am
My other children had "normal" first words like "Mama," "Abba," and "Hi!" I think I'm in trouble with my current little one. His first word is "uh oh!" stated with extreme glee as he drops food from his high chair or throws items out of his stroller.

What were your children's first words?
Back to top

pesek zman




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:25 am
ABBA

(Even Though we refer to my husband as daddy)
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:34 am
Zaida.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:37 am
I had two Mamas, one Tatta, and one "pamper." (Pronounced more like "pampa.")
LOL
Can't Believe It
Back to top

mommy3b2c




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:39 am
I think mama for all. At a very young age. 8-9 months. And all three of them said car within a week of their first birthday.
Back to top

simba




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:40 am
I have an “uh-oh” currently! Welcome to the club!
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:57 am
Vroom

Hi, bye

Woof woof
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:03 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I think mama for all. At a very young age. 8-9 months. And all three of them said car within a week of their first birthday.


I don't want to sound condescending, but 8-9 months is considered young? What is average?

My oldest said MAMA at six months, and now, my "pamper" baby began talking at 4 months.
This baby is almost a year and combines two words at a time, saying, "Nein Mama!" and such. I know that is early, but 8-9 months is more typical for first words, no?

Whenever they start talking though isn't the ikkar, though. They are all yummy and delicious and bring us joy!
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
Vroom

Hi, bye

Woof woof


Sounds like you have boys?
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
I don't want to sound condescending, but 8-9 months is considered young? What is average?

My oldest said MAMA at six months, and now, my "pamper" baby began talking at 4 months.
This baby is almost a year and combines two words at a time, saying, "Nein Mama!" and such. I know that is early, but 8-9 months is more typical for first words, no?

Whenever they start talking though isn't the ikkar, though. They are all yummy and delicious and bring us joy!


That is VERY VERY early

According to google 12 months is when you start expecting to hear 1 or 2 words (not linked together) and parents should not be alarmed if it takes longer than that


Last edited by little neshamala on Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:11 am
My babys first word was "more!"
I am a speech pathologist. The rule is: first word at first year (that means between 12 and 15 months). But the "first word" can be anything- real or fake. As long as the kid has a representation for that word and understands what he means, and you also understand, it's a word.
Back to top

amother




Blush


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I don't want to sound condescending, but 8-9 months is considered young? What is average?

My oldest said MAMA at six months, and now, my "pamper" baby began talking at 4 months.
This baby is almost a year and combines two words at a time, saying, "Nein Mama!" and such. I know that is early, but 8-9 months is more typical for first words, no?

Whenever they start talking though isn't the ikkar, though. They are all yummy and delicious and bring us joy!


Yes, 8-9 months is pretty early. The average age for a first word is about 12 months, though some are a bit earlier and others are later. The average age for combining 2 words is around 24 months.

It's hard to believe that your baby began talking at 4 months... My baby is 4 months now and just coos. The average age for starting babbling (using some consonant sounds) is more like 6-8 months. Are you sure your babies were using these words consistently, and that they knew what they meant?

(Source: I am a speech therapist)
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:14 am
Amother jet black, 8-9 months is pretty early to talk. I find it hard to believe that your baby says words at 4 months, I would be freaked out. At that age the babble and coo.
My kids spoke by 8/10 months and that's considered very early for the amount of words they said.
Back to top

amother




Blush


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
My babys first word was "more!"
The rule is: first word at first year (that means between 12 and 15 months). But the "first wird" can be anything- real or fake. As long as the kid has a representation for that word and understands what he means, and you also understand, it's a word.


Actually, I think a real first word has to be used consistently to represent something and also has to approximate the actual word. If a kid calls a cup "boo", even though the mother understands, it's not actually a word. It's called a pseudo-word. It still is communication, though.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Yes, 8-9 months is pretty early. The average age for a first word is about 12 months, though some are a bit earlier and others are later. The average age for combining 2 words is around 24 months.

It's hard to believe that your baby began talking at 4 months... My baby is 4 months now and just coos. The average age for starting babbling (using some consonant sounds) is more like 6-8 months. Are you sure your babies were using these words consistently, and that they knew what they meant?

(Source: I am a speech therapist)


Yes. My first began at six and hasn't stopped since then. This baby, however, shocked me when she began at 4 months. She also does things like helps to get herself dressed/undressed by inserting feet and arms into clothing and pulls her onsie over her head. She is walking with assistance.

I'm actually kind of freaked out about how much she understands. I had a story that happened recently that shocked me. About a month ago I wore a necklace that she played with, but kept putting it in her mouth and I told her a few times that it's not for the mouth.
Fast forward two weeks from that time and we went out. While out, I happened to be wearing the same necklace for the first time since the time prior. Of course, she played with it again, and then, something interesting happened:

I was watching her, and she went to put it in her mouth, but as soon as it got near her lips, she stopped, looked up at me pulled it away, giggling. She then started pretending she was going to put it in her mouth, over and over again, giggling each time she pulled it away.
She clearly remembered that I told her its not for the mouth...

I have a few such stories.
Back to top

amother




Blush


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
Yes. My first began at six and hasn't stopped since then. This baby, however, shocked me when she began at 4 months. She also does things like helps to get herself dressed/undressed by inserting feet and arms into clothing and pulls her onsie over her head. She is walking with assistance.

I'm actually kind of freaked out about how much she understands. I had a story that happened recently that shocked me. About a month ago I wore a necklace that she played with, but kept putting it in her mouth and I told her a few times that it's not for the mouth.
Fast forward two weeks from that time and we went out. While out, I happened to be wearing the same necklace for the first time since the time prior. Of course, she played with it again, and then, something interesting happened:

I was watching her, and she went to put it in her mouth, but as soon as it got near her lips, she stopped, looked up at me pulled it away, giggling. She then started pretending she was going to put it in her mouth, over and over again, giggling each time she pulled it away.
She clearly remembered that I told her its not for the mouth...

I have a few such stories.


Okay, this is kind of freaking me out... My 4 month old hasn't really figured out how to use his hands yet! Your baby can walk holding your hand??
Back to top

amother




Pink


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:28 am
Amother jet black, are you sure your baby is 4 months old? My 4 month old babies are newborns.
Pulls her onesies over her head? Walking holding on?? Seriosly I would be freaked out and alarmed and go check her out.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Okay, this is kind of freaking me out... My 4 month old hasn't really figured out how to use his hands yet! Your baby can walk holding your hand??


She wasn't walking at 4 months. LOL Just talking. The walking is in the more normative range. About 10 months. But she could support weight on her legs since birth.

I hope I can provide her enough mental stimulation...

Okay, I derailed the thread. Sorry!
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
Amother jet black, are you sure your baby is 4 months old? My 4 month old babies are newborns.
Pulls her onesies over her head? Walking holding on?? Seriosly I would be freaked out and alarmed and go check her out.


Walking around 10 months with support.
Helping with dressing around 7 months.
Talking at 4 months.
Back to top

amother




Blush


Post  Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
She wasn't walking at 4 months. LOL Just talking. The walking is in the more normative range. About 10 months. But she could support weight on her legs since birth.

I hope I can provide her enough mental stimulation...

Okay, I derailed the thread. Sorry!


Oh, okay...much more normal. My babies were late walkers, but walking with assistance at 10 months isn't crazy. And receptive language (understanding what is said) can definitely be there at that point. By around 11 months my daughter could follow a number of commands like "clap yay" and "touch your nose."
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Sleepaway camp staff members first time - what to bring
by amother
15 Yesterday at 4:13 pm View last post
First time mom of 9 month old
by amother
20 Yesterday at 10:02 am View last post
Husband first job
by amother
24 Thu, Jun 13 2019, 10:26 pm View last post
First Choice baby food jars
by amother
15 Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:01 pm View last post
Budgeting First Baby Purchases
by amother
5 Tue, Jun 11 2019, 10:01 am View last post

Jump to: