Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
NYS Health insurance ends at 26. Child unemployed. WWYD?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:05 pm
NYS Health insurance ends at age 26. Our 26 y.o. child is unemployed and not in school at all.

Were being offered Cobra for $800 a month which is outrageous.

What are the options for low cost health insurance in NYC for an unemployed out of school child?

Zehava

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:16 pm
Child?

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:21 pm
What are the circumstances? Is this a person with special needs or health issues?

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
NYS Health insurance ends at age 26. Our 26 y.o. child is unemployed and not in school at all.

Were being offered Cobra for $800 a month which is outrageous.

What are the options for low cost health insurance in NYC for an unemployed out of school child?

Can't he apply for Medicaid on his own?

carnation

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
Can't he apply for Medicaid on his own?

I second this. Even if he lives in the same house he may apply for Medicaid on a separate application if he is not included on your tax form

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:35 pm
When I wasn’t able to be on my parents insurance anymore I went down to Facilitated Enrollmenta nd got Medicaid was great and I kept it until I was working and pregnant.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:46 pm
I am pretty sure that anyone under 30 can get catastrophic insurance.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 4:49 pm
carnation wrote:
I second this. Even if he lives in the same house he may apply for Medicaid on a separate application if he is not included on your tax form

Where/how do you apply for Medicaid? What proof of ID do you need? Does Medicaid have dental insurance too?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 6:45 pm
Are there private people or agencies in Brooklyn, that help with applying for Medicaid?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
Where/how do you apply for Medicaid? What proof of ID do you need? Does Medicaid have dental insurance too?

I believe you need to show some proof of income to apply for Medicaid

Its Friday

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 6:51 pm
Call UJO asap, make appointment. I believe he/she can have medicaid for dental as well. Im not sure if they need a minimum income.UJO can inform well

Rappel

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
I believe you need to show some proof of income to apply for Medicaid

Shouldn't tax returns be enough, then? If s/he is 26, they should already have filed several times.

Last edited by Rappel on Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Librarian

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:02 pm
You do not need proof of income to apply for Medicaid. I just took my 19 year old son who is a full time Yeshiva student out of our household and put him on Medicaid. I lose the deduction which in essence is equal to paying for his insurance but it is totally worth the full medical and dental benefits with no co-pays or deductibles. I signed up my married 23 year old son who is learning in EY for catastrophic insurance which costs about $260 a month. There is a $7900 deductible. But he has Betuach Leumi insurance in Israel. He is not eligible for Medicaid because his wife has too high an income. All this was done with the help of a very honest accountant and a very honest insurance broker who encourages everyone to be "kosher".

sequoia

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:05 pm
It’s very easy to get on HealthPlus.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
Are there private people or agencies in Brooklyn, that help with applying for Medicaid?

Nachas health on 48th street and 13 ave in boro park
718-436-7373

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:26 pm
I am older than that and I live at home and I have United health community plan. I do work but I earn very little. I really do, not like one of those games people play, oh on or off the books. But the child can go to nachas health net +1 718-436-7373
1310-48th street
They are free and they will tell them what they can get.

carnation

Post Sat, Jan 12 2019, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:

You need social security card and birth certificate or passport, I think. Medicaid covers dental.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries