Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
OOT looking into moving to NY
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:56 pm
We are looking at moving from our OOT community to NY. We think possibly Queens or UWS. Please share any thoughts and recommendations. We have done some basic research. Is there shopping or dining on UWS?

We are yeshivish. Both grew up OOT and have no family there. Priorities are a welcoming and comforting shul and decent home. TIA!

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:12 pm
Keep in mind the prices of renting an apartment on the UWS. Coming from OOT, you might not be used to the overcrowding that comes from living in the city. Brooklyn groceries deliver there. Obviously you have restaurants in the Manhattan. Not that familiar with the different neighborhoods in Queens.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
Keep in mind the prices of renting an apartment on the UWS. Coming from OOT, you might not be used to the overcrowding that comes from living in the city. Brooklyn groceries deliver there. Obviously you have restaurants in the Manhattan. Not that familiar with the different neighborhoods in Queens.

We are aware of the apartment prices. We know of the school options in each area too. I am worried about the crowding, TBH. And about hosting in a much smaller home.

I could feasibly have a car in Queens but not UWS, correct?

Kew Gardens Hills is the area in Queens we are looking at.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:08 pm
Any other thoughts?

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:12 pm
Correct, it usually does not make sense to have a car in Manhattan. The extremely simplistic difference is that the UWS is much more bustling, crowded, lively, and active. Apartments are relatively small and expensive, plenty of dining and shopping options. I only have a few friends who live in Kew Gardens Hills but it is much more suburban in feel and you get much more bang for your buck as far as apartment size/amenities.

ellacoe

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
We are aware of the apartment prices. We know of the school options in each area too. I am worried about the crowding, TBH. And about hosting in a much smaller home.

I could feasibly have a car in Queens but not UWS, correct?

Kew Gardens Hills is the area in Queens we are looking at.

Many people keep cars on the UWS

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:53 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Correct, it usually does not make sense to have a car in Manhattan. The extremely simplistic difference is that the UWS is much more bustling, crowded, lively, and active. Apartments are relatively small and expensive, plenty of dining and shopping options. I only have a few friends who live in Kew Gardens Hills but it is much more suburban in feel and you get much more bang for your buck as far as apartment size/amenities.

Thank you. Is it comfortable to be fully observant there? I’m not sure how else to word that. I’m ready for something different and we love the city and the feel.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 8:55 pm
ellacoe wrote:
Many people keep cars on the UWS

I keep seeing ads for $600 per month for a parking spot. Yikes! Is that correct? We are okay with public transportation when we visit.

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:27 pm
Monsey Passaic Lakewood ???

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:28 pm
Bklyn has feel of city but can still have car and a little yard space

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:29 pm
Uws NOT yeshivish at alllllll.

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:29 pm
Uws- $1 million per bedroom . So like a 2 bedroom is 2 mill etc.

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:31 pm
To park for $600 on uws is a BARGAIN. It’s mkre like $1200 a month

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:32 pm
Queens- don’t know much my sister who’s newlywed is there. Lots of newlyweds and older simpler couples. I think. Place is expensive and run down.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:10 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Monsey Passaic Lakewood ???

All are very nice communities that we have visited. We don’t have small children so they are less appealing.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:12 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Bklyn has feel of city but can still have car and a little yard space

We like Flatbush but were afraid we wouldn’t fit in so well there. Is that a valid concern?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:29 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Queens- don’t know much my sister who’s newlywed is there. Lots of newlyweds and older simpler couples. I think. Place is expensive and run down.

Kew gardens hills is not run down. There are many many remodeled and updated homes.
It’s very easy to get to the city for work from there.
Yes, there are a lot of college students and newlyweds but there are TONS of families as well.
I lived in KGH and worked in midtown and it was great. I loved the more suburban feel and I got way more bang for my buck in Queens. I was able to rent a beautiful house with loads of space for hosting - huge DR, separate living room, large remodeled kitchen, 4 bedrooms. On the UWS for the same price I was paying you will probably get 2 bedrooms and a minuscule kitchen and tiny dining room/living room.
I also had free parking.
I like a lot of things about the city but I loved that I got to leave every night and go home to queens.
Also, everything is more expensive there. Food is 2-4X more expensive. Even basic groceries. Yogurt, fruit, etc. it’s all marked up to pay for the high rent of the stores.

I loved the community in KGH. huge mix of people and everyone is respectful and friendly. The Shuls are really nice and you can definitely find somewhere you’re comfortable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
We are looking at moving from our OOT community to NY. We think possibly Queens or UWS. Please share any thoughts and recommendations. We have done some basic research. Is there shopping or dining on UWS?

We are yeshivish. Both grew up OOT and have no family there. Priorities are a welcoming and comforting shul and decent home. TIA!

I don’t know any yeshivish people on the UWS.
KGH has many yeshivish people.
I think it would be a soft landing for you, coming from OOT.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:10 pm
What about west heampstead? A lot of people from queens are moving out there now. There is also a very established modern orthodox community there. It is a lot more suburban than queens.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
What about west heampstead? A lot of people from queens are moving out there now. There is also a very established modern orthodox community there. It is a lot more suburban than queens.

OP said she’s yeshivish. I only know MO people in W Hempstead.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries