Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
OOT looking into moving to NY
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

skee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:36 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Uws NOT yeshivish at alllllll.

This!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:45 pm
I live in KGH. I think there will be a lot here for you. While they are a few yeshividh families moving to West Hempstead, they are young, and the community is predominately MO. What is it about UWS and KGH that interest you, OP? I’m from OOT and don’t find it easy to live here, even after 20 years, though I do agree that it is a soft landing compared to other parts of NY

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:47 pm
How old are your children?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
Kew gardens hills is not run down. There are many many remodeled and updated homes.
It’s very easy to get to the city for work from there.
Yes, there are a lot of college students and newlyweds but there are TONS of families as well.
I lived in KGH and worked in midtown and it was great. I loved the more suburban feel and I got way more bang for my buck in Queens. I was able to rent a beautiful house with loads of space for hosting - huge DR, separate living room, large remodeled kitchen, 4 bedrooms. On the UWS for the same price I was paying you will probably get 2 bedrooms and a minuscule kitchen and tiny dining room/living room.
I also had free parking.
I like a lot of things about the city but I loved that I got to leave every night and go home to queens.
Also, everything is more expensive there. Food is 2-4X more expensive. Even basic groceries. Yogurt, fruit, etc. it’s all marked up to pay for the high rent of the stores.

I loved the community in KGH. huge mix of people and everyone is respectful and friendly. The Shuls are really nice and you can definitely find somewhere you’re comfortable.

Thanks for your post! Are local agents the best contact for better rentals in KGH? Zillow doesn’t seem to be it.

I can work from home, and the commute to midtown seems feasible. That line isn’t going to be one that is shutting down for repairs is it?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
I don’t know any yeshivish people on the UWS.
KGH has many yeshivish people.
I think it would be a soft landing for you, coming from OOT.

Thanks. That was our impression of UWS.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
I live in KGH. I think there will be a lot here for you. While they are a few yeshividh families moving to West Hempstead, they are young, and the community is predominately MO. What is it about UWS and KGH that interest you, OP? I’m from OOT and don’t find it easy to live here, even after 20 years, though I do agree that it is a soft landing compared to other parts of NY

UWS is appealing in that it has so much for adults and couples, but it’s so important to feel like we have a community. KGH seems to be much more of that community, but more of a family focus, which we love too. We are young but one DD at home, with bochorim gone.

What do you find to be not so easy?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your post! Are local agents the best contact for better rentals in LGH? Zillow doesn’t seem to be it.

I can work from home, and the commute to midtown seems feasible. That line isn’t going to be one that is shutting down for repairs is it?

Yes, local real estate agents will be your best bet for rentals. It’s a lot of word of mouth.
I don’t know about the subway lines, I don’t live there anymore. I took the express bus to midtown a lot so that’s also an option.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
UWS is appealing in that it has so much for adults and couples, but it’s so important to feel like we have a community. KGH seems to be much more of that community, but more of a family focus, which we love too. We are young but one DD at home, with bochorim gone.

What do you find to be not so easy?

If I understand correctly, you are moving for a job for DH that is commutable to Manhattan, correct? Then KGH is a great option. He will need to take a bus to get to the subway- the E or F train, but it is one fare. I don’t know of any upcoming construction. Express bus is also a good option. Some people who live south of 73rd Ave walk to the Kew Gardens subway station, but it’s a little far.
Agents, are good for rentals, but also join the KGH Shuls io group (similar to a yahoo group.) Just google “KGH Shuls” and it will come up. People post all sorts of neighborhood info there.
Why is it hard to live in KGH? Because it is in NY, and while it is more accepting and more welcoming than other neighborhoods, coming from OOT, there is still a certain rat race and pressure that comes with living here. If you don’t have family here, you may not be familiar with the mentality. There are certainly very down to earth OOT types here, more BTs and geirim here than in other neighborhoods, more of a “mix,” but yet, especially with kids, the pressure to keep up with the Jonses, the judgemental attitudes etc that are stereotypical of NYers is here, albeit to a lesser extent. It’s a neighborhood, not a community- many small shuls for with minute nuance differences as opposed to a few larger shuls. Because there are so many people here, individuals don’t “matter” as much as in a smaller community. If you have to live in NY, then definitely come to KGH, I was just wondering if staying OOT may be an option.
How old is DD? Where do you envision sending her to school? What yeshivos are your bachurim in? What do you mean by “yeshivish” when you describe yourself? That will help us find a shul for you, and then you can look for apartments nearby. Everything is technically walkable, especially by the standards of most OOT communities that tend to be more spread out in terms of housing. Here, walking 8-10 blocks can be considered “far.”

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
We like Flatbush but were afraid we wouldn’t fit in so well there. Is that a valid concern?

Honestly, we know nothing about you so how should we know if you would fit in?
And anyway, everyone fits in. It’s very diverse. You can pick a neighborhood that suits you best. Describing yourself as yeshivish makes me think you won’t fit into UWS.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:42 am
I think it would be much harder to fit in in Flatbush than in KGH. There are also changes happening in Flatbush as more and more families move to Lakewood. If you are yeshivish, you would probably not use the eruv in Flatbush but you probably would in KGH

elisheva25

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:56 am
KgH is a large community . It’s also beautiful. Def more yeshivish than modern. A lot of Bucharians .Beautiful but expensive homes. Totally different than Manhattan . Most people in Manhattan aren’t raising their kids there .

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:19 am
I think you'd fit in better in KGH. There's a Chofetz Chaim there, so there's a solid yeshivish presence. Community is a good mix, great shuls, great rabbeim you can connect with, pretty down to earth. I would have loved to stay there, unfortunately we got priced out and had to move to the suburbs. It's unfortunate, but it's now mostly young families (still in the apartment stage of life) and older families who were able to buy houses there 20 or 30 years ago when prices were a lot more reasonable. But with one kid left at home, it sounds like you're in a similar stage of life even if you're a bit younger, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Besides, some of those families might "adopt" you, we had one such family in KGH that did that, and it's the type of community where people do that sort of thing.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. That was our impression of UWS.

Unless you have LOADS of money (were talking multi-millions) and are willing to spend on the outrageous rent thats at least triple the rent of the outer boroughs, how was the UWS ever a consideration?

madys

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:27 am
You should probably visit each neighborhood you are considering for a trial shabbos. That's really the only way to see if it's right for you before making a huge commitment.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
Unless you have LOADS of money (were talking multi-millions) and are willing to spend on the outrageous rent thats at least triple the rent of the outer boroughs, how was the UWS ever a consideration?

BH, we come from families that have worked hard and have been successful. DH is also from outside the US, with costs comparable to UWS. We also don’t mind small and being frugal helps. Currently, BH, that’s not our struggle.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:38 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Honestly, we know nothing about you so how should we know if you would fit in?
And anyway, everyone fits in. It’s very diverse. You can pick a neighborhood that suits you best. Describing yourself as yeshivish makes me think you won’t fit into UWS.

That was our impression from visiting UWS but I wanted to ask instead of assuming. Thank you.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
I think you'd fit in better in KGH. There's a Chofetz Chaim there, so there's a solid yeshivish presence. Community is a good mix, great shuls, great rabbeim you can connect with, pretty down to earth. I would have loved to stay there, unfortunately we got priced out and had to move to the suburbs. It's unfortunate, but it's now mostly young families (still in the apartment stage of life) and older families who were able to buy houses there 20 or 30 years ago when prices were a lot more reasonable. But with one kid left at home, it sounds like you're in a similar stage of life even if you're a bit younger, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Besides, some of those families might "adopt" you, we had one such family in KGH that did that, and it's the type of community where people do that sort of thing.

Thank you for your input. It sounds like we won’t be neighbors with your family. Being adopted sounds great! We are familiar with the yeshiva too.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:43 am
there are "yesheivish" people on the upper west side but I wouldn't recommend moving there if you are yesheivish and don't have family there or specifically want to be near work.
I grew up there and still have family there. we lived there because we had family. My family has been there for over 50 years.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:43 am
madys wrote:
You should probably visit each neighborhood you are considering for a trial shabbos. That's really the only way to see if it's right for you before making a huge commitment.

Thank you. We have visited. Up to a week and multiple times. It’s diffferent to vacation than to live there. UWS, KGH, Flatbush, and Lakewood we’ve visited.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
there are "yesheivish" people on the upper west side but I wouldn't recommend moving there if you are yesheivish and don't have family there or specifically want to be near work.
I grew up there and still have family there. we lived there because we had family. My family has been there for over 50 years.

Is it a much smaller group than the MO population? My ILs prefer UWS culture to visit. They aren’t as religious.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries