Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Overweight

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:26 pm
My ds is very overweight , rather obese. He weighs over 160 and is 8 yrs old. Blood work shows bordering cholesterol and diabetes. I feel horrible pushing for a diet since I was also very chubby and my mother pushed me to lose weight and it didnt help. How can I go about it in a smart way?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:35 pm
Your best option IMO is to make changes for your entire household. Don't make it about him. Stop buying and making junk. Have cut up vegetables and fruits available all the time. Limit portions to a healthy amount. Increase physical activity. Again, nothing special for him. Your lifestyle is simply going to become healthy, overnight. Throw out anything that doesn't contribute to anyone's nutrition.

naomi1

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:04 pm
I would take him to a nutritionist. They will help make a meal plan, and give you good ideas for meals and snacks based on his personal preferences. He needs to learn how to eat properly. It’s also easier if there is no temptation in the house. The less snacks and cookies around the better.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:26 pm
naomi1 wrote:
I would take him to a nutritionist. They will help make a meal plan, and give you good ideas for meals and snacks based on his personal preferences. He needs to learn how to eat properly. It’s also easier if there is no temptation in the house. The less snacks and cookies around the better.

That's my plan, I wanna take him to a nutritionist. I think my house is pretty clean w food, problem is in school. They mostly serve carbs and dont let outside food.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:
That's my plan, I wanna take him to a nutritionist. I think my house is pretty clean w food, problem is in school. They mostly serve carbs and dont let outside food.

That's a huge problem, but I'm sure they would allow an exception given his unique health needs. I'm sure someone with a gluten sensitivity is allowed his own food and your son should be no different. Worst case scenario, bring a note from the doctor.

If he's really getting the bulk of his diet at school, you're going to have to be very organized to provide enough food for him to bring along every day.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:

School is a big problem I totally understand where you’re coming from. Not much you can do about it. I’m not sure taking him to nutritionist will be helpful. Take yourself to a nutritionist and learn how to keep your own house a good place for him with good snack choices prepared in good size portions and meals that he can enjoy same as all his siblings. Get the whole family involved in activities he can participate in. Making him feel different by being the one to go to a nutritionist and have a special eating plan might do more harm than good.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 6:14 pm
My kids school doesn't allow outside food either but if you bring in a medical dr's note to bring in home lunch- that you are allowed to do. Basically I ask my ped to write on prescription : Due to medical necessity, xyz should bring homelunch. Doesn't stop my kid from eating the junk at bday parties and rewards for being good. My luck, my kid is well behaved and all the teachers reward with food. There is just so much you can do. Banging head

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 7:40 pm
I can't address the school part because honestly that is making me so angry for you. luckily my kids school doesn't even offer school lunch and they aren't terrible in terms of handing out junk. My dd that age weighs a lot less then that but she was gaining quickly so we've been trying to be on top of it. What we do at home is she does't take more carb until you take more vegetables, we take a break after eating and then my dd can eat more later if she's still hungry. We asked her which vegetables she likes...My dh does exercises in the morning with my dd. We signed her up for parkour to get her moving... we made sure to find physical activities that she loves to do and foster them. we eat healthy and try to be active as a family. you want him to be a team member and to enjoy it not feel like he's being singled out and picked on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics