Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My unvarnished LinkedIn opinion
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:06 pm
As a newbie.

Total self-promoting brag-fest.

Did I get that right?

Does it get any better? Should I stick around?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:08 pm
Why don't you post this question on LinkedIn?

Chazak613

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:26 pm
Yes, Linkedin is all about telling your story, the up and downs of being in business.
There is being a Linkedin Influencer Summit with some of my favorite Linkedin Influencer all about how to maximize Linkedin for your benefit. This is the link https://www.influencersummit20.....00256 Its free

No, I'm not a paid promoter Smile I just love Linkedin and have been learning all about it in the past few months.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:34 pm
So I love LinkedIn. I highly recommend:

1) Having a clear objective
For me it’s building trust in my “brand” & telling more about behind the scenes so people get involved and invested & about learning about other people’s fields of expertise. I have hired many many people for their services right off LinkedIn.

2) Read the book linkedIn in 30 minutes

3) Take GetLinkedIn course with Tova Herskovits & Sara Sicherman (no I don’t get paid for this)

4) Follow really good people and learn learn learn

5) Post daily, attend events and really get to know people.

For me it is the only effective social media platform

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 4:52 pm
My husband uses it to make connections with other people in his field. I don't see how listing your qualifications and experiences is bragging.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 5:09 pm
It’s for professional networking and job seeking. The rest of social media is for bragging. LOL

challahchallah

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 6:23 pm
I've never posted and don't actively network, but having my career info up there lets recruiters find me. This is how I've gotten several job offers so I think it's worth having.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
As a newbie.

Did I get that right?

What was your objective in going there in the first place?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 7:54 pm
Depends what you're using it for. DH finds it to be an extremely valuable tool when job hunting.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:12 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I've never posted and don't actively network, but having my career info up there lets recruiters find me. This is how I've gotten several job offers so I think it's worth having.

Hmmm...I've never thought of that. Great idea! I think I'll go check it out.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
As a newbie.

Did I get that right?

Promoting yourself is how you get the word out about your products or services. It's part of doing business. Yes. It's horrible and awkward and uncomfortable but nobody else is going to do it for you.

butterfly2

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:46 pm
Yesss!! I get so annoyed by all these people that are thrilled that they have a platform to brag about how good and nice and kind they are. And how they are the best bosses. And all they are busy posting is that LinkedIn is the best. And you should post. And it works. And you should believe them or else. And if it doesn’t work, then that’s the point. You’re really just there to help others in the field. And if you don’t want to do that, you’re selfish. And please share all your horrible client stories and how humbly you reacted. And how your clients just don’t get it. And just brag a bit more about yourself so you can get more followers and be an influencer. And promote LinkedIn meetups so you can learn how to make your profile look good. So you should be able to talk how good LinkedIn is. Even if you are on it for a year already without results. And post every day. Even if you have nothing what to post about. Just make yourself sound like a genius. Even if all you write is that LinkedIn is great. And live in an imaginary world that because you have many likes on some humble-bragging post that its helping your business. And be highly active and engage in posts. It’s totally not considered time wasting cuz it’s not really social media. And when you realize you are on it too much create posts about how you will limit your time on it and use it wisely. I’d love to see all these peoples bank accounts and see how LinkedIn has really helped them. (Besides for those that make $$ by giving LinkedIn courses)
I am on it for years already before it became this holier than thou forum and I used to love it when it was mostly interesting marketing and business posts but now it’s all about people convincing themselves that they are what they are not. And finishing a post with some hashtag about how they are the best.
#Rantisover.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:08 pm
As a frum woman, do you find you can get away without a photo on LinkedIn, or is it really necessary? Presuming of course you have reservations about posting your photo online, to begin with.

butterfly2

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:11 pm
People are definitely more willing to connect with someone with a profile picture over a faceless profile

challahchallah

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
As a frum woman, do you find you can get away without a photo on LinkedIn, or is it really necessary? Presuming of course you have reservations about posting your photo online, to begin with.

I don't have a photo up there, just descriptions of my jobs and education. I have no idea if my profile would be better with a photo, but even without one I think having a basic profile (with the same info as your resumé) is worthwhile.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:19 pm
butterfly2 wrote:
Yesss!! I get so annoyed by all these people that are thrilled that they have a platform to brag about how good and nice and kind they are. And how they are the best bosses. And all they are busy posting is that LinkedIn is the best. And you should post. And it works. And you should believe them or else. And if it doesn’t work, then that’s the point. You’re really just there to help others in the field. And if you don’t want to do that, you’re selfish. And please share all your horrible client stories and how humbly you reacted. And how your clients just don’t get it. And just brag a bit more about yourself so you can get more followers and be an influencer. And promote LinkedIn meetups so you can learn how to make your profile look good. So you should be able to talk how good LinkedIn is. Even if you are on it for a year already without results. And post every day. Even if you have nothing what to post about. Just make yourself sound like a genius. Even if all you write is that LinkedIn is great. And live in an imaginary world that because you have many likes on some humble-bragging post that its helping your business. And be highly active and engage in posts. It’s totally not considered time wasting cuz it’s not really social media. And when you realize you are on it too much create posts about how you will limit your time on it and use it wisely. I’d love to see all these peoples bank accounts and see how LinkedIn has really helped them. (Besides for those that make $$ by giving LinkedIn courses)
I am on it for years already before it became this holier than thou forum and I used to love it when it was mostly interesting marketing and business posts but now it’s all about people convincing themselves that they are what they are not. And finishing a post with some hashtag about how they are the best.
#Rantisover.

It has nearly 100% adoption by my colleagues and my clients. It allows me to see the work and education history of the people I work with and work for. I find that helpful.

Its also heavily used by recruiters.

I post. I reminds people of my services. From that I get referrals.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:

It's beginning to be harder.
One of my connections recently announced that he's removing anyone without a photo. We're former colleagues so he knows me IRL, I'm not sure if I will be included in his purge...

He's a frum guy and some of the frum women pointed out that there's a reason they don't have their picture. I didn't see if he responded...

On a different LinkedIn thread a different frum guy was griping about those individuals who had the audacity to use a logo or a similar non personal image. A frum woman mentioned the reason she uses her logo - she did get some flak (we're on LinkedIn for personal networking, to connect with the person, not the company) but other commenters said her perspective gave them food for thought.

I do not have a photo. Then again, I'm mostly lurking at this point...

butterfly2

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
It has nearly 100% adoption by my colleagues and my clients. It allows me to see the work and education history of the people I work with and work for. I find that helpful.

Its also heavily used by recruiters.

I post. I reminds people of my services. From that I get referrals.

Well I obviously am not referring to those who use it as a resume and for business. I am talking how it has become the social media forum to brag about your work and post about it daily. Yes your profile should list all your qualifications but your posts should back that up with content about your business and not content about LinkedIn.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:12 am
butterfly2 wrote:
Well I obviously am not referring to those who use it as a resume and for business. I am talking how it has become the social media forum to brag about your work and post about it daily. Yes your profile should list all your qualifications but your posts should back that up with content about your business and not content about LinkedIn.

And obviously what you are seeing - I am not.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:23 am
Butterfly2-- I am actually happy to show you the real numbers. For me, LinkedIn is all about strategy. And of course, siyata dishmaya.

Sure, there are those who come off self-promoting but most that I engage with and have grown from are sincerely good business people.

And yes, what you feel was better was mightily boring to me. Today, LinkedIn is a happening place with debates, discussions and lots of learning.

I also feel that posters have really really convinced me to either use or never use based on some of their posts....

I have to say that I used and paid for at least 12 people's services this year right off of LinkedIn.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics