Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you spend extra on a room with a view?
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:52 am
We want to go away Pesach and a room with a ocean view vs garden view is $1200.00 extra. Do you think it’s worth it?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 9:57 am
I dont care for a view, but everyone is different. For some it pays to spend more for a view, for some not.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
We want to go away Pesach and a room with a ocean view vs garden view is $1200.00 extra. Do you think it’s worth it?

It depends on what you guys want. If it was with a balcony vs no balcony than maybe.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:03 am
Depends what the view is. A falls view of Niagara Falls might be worth it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:17 am
This reminds me of a funny story. I was checking into a hotel in yerushalaim at the same time as a large Christian tour group. I had not paid for a view. The guy right in front of me was complaining because his room didn't have a view of the "chickies at the swimming pool." Instead it had a view of the old city. I graciously offered to switch with him, and yes, I really loved that view, especially every morning when I davened there.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:21 am
The guy at the program told my husband that you won’t feel the same experience of the hotel with not having the view.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:26 am
I like a view as much as the next guy, but I won’t break the bank for one especially when the view is still available. I also wouldn’t hang out in my room gazing out the window.
What the guy is doing is called marketing. Decide for yourself if it’s worth the (significant) extra money.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:28 am
How much time do you anticipate spending in the room?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:36 am
Iymnok wrote:
I like a view as much as the next guy, but I won’t break the bank for one especially when the view is still available. I also wouldn’t hang out in my room gazing out the window.
What the guy is doing is called marketing. Decide for yourself if it’s worth the (significant) extra money.

This isn’t accurate.
They’re a nothing like opening your shades every morning to a beautiful view.
Especially if you’re taking kids along. It just makes them happy.

The $1200 isn’t a one day fee. It’s for over a week.
It averages about an extra $100 a day for the view.
I would consider it, but DH would definitely grab it 😀

It really boils down to how much $1200 means to you .

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:43 am
Sorry that I missed the $1200 extra. I don't know what your budget is, and I don't know what gardens you've seen in life, but to me, that wouldn't be worth it.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:43 am
I wouldn’t pay extra for it. Buy know people who do. And I go to hotels for pesach every year and spend very little time in my room. I’m mostly outdoors or my the meals. The guy is telling you that because he wants you to pay extra for it. Because if no one will pay extra for it he will prob have to give people those rooms for same price.

rgr

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
The guy at the program told my husband that you won’t feel the same experience of the hotel with not having the view.

It's his job to get you to want to spend money

Harried mama

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:48 am
It depends how much you want it and whether or not you can afford it.

Last edited by Harried mama on Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:49 am
Now I’m curious: where are you going and what’s the view of?

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:26 pm
Personally, since I can't afford to have the best of literally everything and need to prioritize, I put my money towards what matters the most to me. For $1200 I could have 8-10 amazing meals with my husband, and would rather do that because eating great food is important to me on vacation. I recently went to Disney World and stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge where you can pay extra for a room with a view of all the animals. Of course all the Disney people told us it's a can't-miss view, it really makes the stay so much better, but for me, at the end of the day it's just the hotel room. We still got to see the views elsewhere in the hotel / when we went outside, and the hotel was still beautiful and amazing. So many extra costs in life come from these "extras" that get you to shell out but aren't really necessary, despite what they tell you to convince you to upgrade.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:28 pm
I would spend more money for a view, definitely. Some rooms make you feel locked in, I like the view in that it provides me more aerial space than the wall in front of the bed or on the side.

Last edited by ShishKabob on Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:30 pm
I wouldn't spend extra for it. But I will say that when I got a room with a gorgeous view of the Atlantic City skyline while at a family weekend, it was a really nice bonus. So relaxing to just sit and look at the water and the lights....

We went to Niagara this past summer, and I didn't spend extra on a room with a view. We hardly spent time in our rooms anyway, and we did, it was to shower and hit the sack.....

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:31 pm
A view is everything to me. Waking up in the morning, or relaxing in the afternoon to a gorgeous view makes me feel like I’m in paradise. But I guess it depends on what it means to you.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:36 pm
It depends on what's on the other side. Is it a parking lot that will be noisy? It might be worth it. Is it a courtyard used by the program for outdoor entertainment? That's not great if you want to avoid noise, but is actually a perk if you want to hear and see the entertainment from the comfort of your own space, or if it allows you a lookout to see you dh or kids as they come and go from there or other places.

It may also depend if this is a once in a lifetime destination, and if you will be stuck in the room a lot.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:

It may also depend if this is a once in a lifetime destination, and if you will be stuck in the room a lot.

Of course.

Someone used the example of Disney's Animal Kingdom. If you're going to be out and about from dawn til twilight, it hardly seems worth paying extra for a view. But if you're staying over Shabbat, or older kids will need to be in the room for younger kids' naps for an hour or two, or if you'll enjoy the view evenings while the kids sleep, it may be worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics