Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How do you get a NY Photo ID, with no previous Photo ID?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:23 pm
DD with social issues never worked, and never got a Non-Drivers ID.

She needs a Photo ID for any Public Assistance. She doesnt have a Photo ID.

WWYD?

We have her Birth Certificate and Soc Sec card, but neither have a photo so she doesnt have the required amount of "points" for a Photo ID (neither Non Drivers or IDNYC).

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:25 pm
1. Apply for a passport
2. Call the JCC and speak to them about obtaining a non driver's ID. They sometimes have programs directly through the Council.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
1. Apply for a passport
2. Call the JCC and speak to them about obtaining a non driver's ID. They sometimes have programs directly through the Council.

They advertised now that they do it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:48 pm
flowerpower wrote:
They advertised now that they do it.

Im in Brooklyn (BP). Which location does this?

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:52 pm
Apply for the NYCID card if you live in NYC. First make sure that's accepted. But a passport would be much more secure.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:

The BPJCC that's by the Y was doing it through Jan 11 I think. It was advertised in the luach hatzibur and I think also weekly link and torah times.

Also, if you read the part of the application where it says what proof you need, there is a section about people that don't have proof and their parent can provide certain proofs instead. Check it out.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:

BPJCC just finished their month long program. Try to Flatbush met council and see if and when they'll be having the NYC reps down for such a program. Or the crown heights one.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:28 pm
DMV if you have enough documents for the points.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
DMV if you have enough documents for the points.

Theyre the toughest. You need 6 points.

happy12

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 2:58 pm
Parents can provide ID until age 21

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:55 pm
My situation is a little different. I have a 19-year-old for whom I have original birth certificate and expired passport, but no social security card. He wants a NY non-driver ID, but it seems to be a catch 22.

Now that he's over 18, my ID isn't good enough to help him, and he can't get one without a SS card, but I can't get him a replacement SS card without any current photo ID. I'm sure he's not the only one in this situation. Any suggestions for how to go about this?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:03 pm
Social Security has a list of documents that you can use instead of a photo ID https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:04 pm
If he has a SSN and all you need a replacement card, I did it online and they mailed it to me. It was super easy.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
My situation is a little different. I have a 19-year-old for whom I have original birth certificate and expired passport, but no social security card. He wants a NY non-driver ID, but it seems to be a catch 22.

Now that he's over 18, my ID isn't good enough to help him, and he can't get one without a SS card, but I can't get him a replacement SS card without any current photo ID. I'm sure he's not the only one in this situation. Any suggestions for how to go about this?

There's a workaround. Get a student ID card from school and also bring his health insurance card. Go along with him and bring all of your identification as well plus proof of address items, everything, everything.

But before you go and waste more time it would be best to call your local community council advocate agency to guide you because they know the workarounds and can help you arrive at the SS office more prepared.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries