Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need HIGH calorie recipes
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:14 pm
To mint: I know u mean well but when the doctor is concerned then there is reason for concern even if some ppl are lean by Nature especially during growing years... I know my pediatrician is very worried about my girls...

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:17 pm
Why can’t she eat a danish or brownies in the morning with a milkshake?

Pizza

Lots of pasta with melted cheese

Potato chips

Fries

Anything from the pizza store really..,

Bagels

Sugared cereal w/ whole milk

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much. Gonna try the muffins.
She's a very very picky eater, so any drink that doesn't taste absolutely amazing is out.
Keep the ideas coming!

Make it taste amazing like a malted with real heavy dairy cream .

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:36 pm
Drizzle cold pressed olive oil over salad and other foods. It has a nice flavor (hopefully she likes olives). But don't use that type of olive oil to cook with.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
To mint: I know u mean well but when the doctor is concerned then there is reason for concern even if some ppl are lean by Nature especially during growing years... I know my pediatrician is very worried about my girls...

That's why I recommended the milkshakes and avocados. I wasn't being negative or mocking anyone. I apologize if you thought I was.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:26 pm
In a similar situation, I've made cheese cake (recipe with cream cheese etc) in cupcake holders for my DD to eat for breakfast. They can be frozen and taken out one at a time.

I also serve my need-to-gain-weight DD non-traditional breakfasts, like macaroni and cheese, pizza bagels, soup, or any other leftovers I have.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:57 pm
When my dd needed to gain weight I served her a chocolate danish for breakfast with a cup of hot cocoa.
For lunch she ate a slice of pizza or a bagel and cream cheese.
Dinner was usually pasta with lots of melted cheese and sauce
I also stocked up on ice cream and always offered it to her.
Sometimes we went to the ice cream store and bought milkshakes
Lots of cake and chips for snacks...

This diet worked and she gained 3 pounds in 6 weeks.

peacenine

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:04 pm
Sounds challenging!
Does your daughter like fruit smoothies? I have one every morning. I add Avocado (you don't taste it, it adds healthy fat and is filling) and coconut milk (again healthy fat and filling) to frozen fruits. It's tasty refreshing and filling.
Best of luck!

aliavi

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
She doesn't like avocado or oatmeal Sad
It's crazy how picky of an eater she is!
We're also looking for some food ideas she can bring to school for lunch.

Could you swap the grain out for something like farina, quinoa or couscous?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
That's why I recommended the milkshakes and avocados. I wasn't being negative or mocking anyone. I apologize if you thought I was.

I’ll admit, when I read that OP said she was 13, I felt a little bit of worry for her DD, because underweight girls can have an absence of mestruation and that could be worrisome to OP and to DD. But OP did say they have been to the doctor and that her DD is picky. I think it can be a normal instinctive reaction to worry about children

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:25 pm
peacenine wrote:
Sounds challenging!
Does your daughter like fruit smoothies? I have one every morning. I add Avocado (you don't taste it, it adds healthy fat and is filling) and coconut milk (again healthy fat and filling) to frozen fruits. It's tasty refreshing and filling.
Best of luck!

Why is everyone offering all these healthy ways to add in fat? Most picky eaters will not be interested in such foods.
Her main concern is weight gain now... let her eat what most 13 year olds would enjoy.
This is not the time to incorporate health foods as was suggested in many posts.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:30 pm
Amother Papaya: I doubt the doctor side to pile her up with anything that she'll consume, regardless of the nutrition content.

Because usually that doesn't make sense. Usually, one shouldn't consume an overload of unhealthy foods, regardless of ones weight. It has to be in moderation, otherwise it can cause other problems in its stead.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize that you said in an earlier post that you went through this as well, I guess you have experience.

peacenine

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Why is everyone offering all these healthy ways to add in fat? Most picky eaters will not be interested in such foods.
Her main concern is weight gain now... let her eat what most 13 year olds would enjoy.
This is not the time to incorporate health foods as was suggested in many posts.

True point. I just can't imagine how empty calories without nutrition will give her body what it needs to gain and deveope What

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:28 pm
peacenine wrote:
True point. I just can't imagine how empty calories without nutrition will give her body what it needs to gain and deveope What

You would be surprised.

- a close family member of mine was hospitalized for being severely malnourished because her mother thought she was lanky. She is 13 years old. 5’6 maybe? 90 pounds and her heart rate was slowing down when she got to the hospital. She was not anorexic Bh just a very picky eater and had no appetite she is doing better. But not consuming enough calories is more dangerous than eating some junk to build up an appetite

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:37 am
My kids struggle to gain weight. Bh 1 of my kid FINALLY gained 4 lbs!! the GI put him on Periactin 2 mg 3x a day. Its a medication to increase the appetite. It needs to be monitored by a doctor. We started with 2 mg in the evening and slowly over a few weeks added morning another 2 mg And then by lunch added 2 more. He also drinks a high calorie shake every morning. Its rx, Scandi shake add 8 oz whole milk with 2 scoops of ice cream that has the most calories, chocolate syrup and oil. Mix in Milkshake/ malt machine and he drinks most of it for breakfast. Cake and ice cream is always available. In addition I fry a lot and always look out for ingredients in food for the highest calorie content. Hatzlacha rabba. Its a huge struggle. One of the many doctors we have been to said that gaining weight is way harder than losing weight!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:09 am
Sometimes it's good to let the kids stay skinny I had two kids who were severely underweight. I did what you want to do to fatten up one child who never stopped eating. DC developed a taste for fatty foods and is now obese.

I learned my lesson and left my next child alone and concentrated on healthy eating. That child hus an amazing body. The second child would eat 2 ounces of rice for a meal. I would do peanutbutter lollies and chicken lollies

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:53 am
Thanks for your replies everyone!

At this point the GI did say to just give her any food that will make her gain weight.
I'm especially having a hard time because she has a very sensitive stomach. Anything high calorie and oily (and good!) makes her stomach hurt.

We ruled out any disease, she's just extremely sensitive.
She also gets so so full after eating just a tiny amount.

She did not start developing at all...

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
Peanut butter milk shake

4 reeses peanut butter cups (I think there is a cholev yisroel knock off now )
4 scoops chocolate ice cream
1 cup milk
1/4 c peanut butter
Blend all ingredients together.

685 calories. 21 g protein. 54 g carbs. 44 g fat . 45 mg cholesterol. 401 mg sodium

This does sound good. I think I'll give it a try.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:14 am
You know that there are medications that can be taken short term that increase appetite and take away stomach pains? My dd was on such a medication for a few weeks and it was a miracle that she wasn’t getting stomach pain after eating and .. she was always hungry!

heidi

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:03 am
peacenine wrote:

When my children were young they were crazy picky eaters. Weighed 20 pounds at almost 3 years old. My doctor was worried about brain development. Told me to give them whatever they wanted. Calorie intake was the ikar.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen