Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Taking kids to Manhattan for the first time..
1  2  Next

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:55 pm
My kids have never been to Manhattan. We don’t even live so far! We live in New Jersey but they never been to Manhattan yet.
Looking for some fun ideas.
My kids are between the ages of 7-14. We will probably go on Sunday.
They do not want to go ice skating. They would like hands on better than anything.
We will go out to eat at some point.
Please help me plan the day.
Thanks

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:56 pm
I like to suggest museum of natural history. Bc it's got something for every age.

Don't recall how hands on it is... Parts may differ

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:09 pm
I second the Museum of Natural History, my kids really enjoyed it (though mine were, at the time of their visit, much younger than yours: 1-8). They also appreciated visiting ground zero and they loved taking a (free!) round trip ride on the Staten Island Ferry.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:34 pm
Wow!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Wow!

What’s wow?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:23 pm
I'm not Pesek Zman, but I assume she's surprised that you live in NJ and have never brought your kids to NYC after so many years. I don't know your budget, and NYC activities are never cheap, but Spyscape and Gulliver's Travels are both indoors and great for those ages.

There's also VR World and National Geographic Ocean Odyssey, though I haven't been to either. All 4 are pretty close to Times Square, where there are a number of kosher restaurant options.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
What’s wow?

That kids live in NJ and have never been the Manhattan. I don’t remember how old I was when I went but I live and am raising a family in Manhattan now so it took me back

hindamalka

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:58 pm
Take them to The American Girl Place.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:07 pm
Take them to National Geographic Encounter Ocean Odyssey, VR World, and Color Factory. You can do an escape room too. Ocean Odyssey and Color Factory are about 1.5 hours each. An escape room is about an hour. VR World is 2 hours. Gulliver's Gate is 1.5 hours, but I personally did not find it very enjoyable for children. All these attractions are quite expensive, but I'm pretty sure NYC Must-See Week begins on Monday, so if you go the following Sunday, many of these attractions will be BOGO.

You can also do a NYC bus sightseeing tour or a buggy ride at Central Park.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:16 pm
My kids were really bored in the museum of natural history & it was jammed packed so it was hard to linger anywhere.

aliavi

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:35 am
The 9/11 memorial was the favorite for my family. I was surprised.

There may be something going on in Central Park if they aren’t so into museums.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:06 pm
Bumping this up. We’re considering going to NYC next week Sunday and Monday. My kids have been there but not so recently. Any recommendations for nice family-friendly hotel (preferably with pool) near kosher food, activities (I’m thinking about Gulliver’s Gate, I’ve been there but the kids haven’t), and other ideas? Kids are 10 and 5 and baby (which complicates things, but we really want to take the kids somewhere!). I think it may be too cold for ice skating at Rockefeller Center. We’ve been to the LEGO store (underwhelming even for my LEGO enthusiast). Don’t need to be running from activity to activity, but we want to have fun! Even taking the subway is exciting for my suburban kids Wink

Thanks in advance!

giselle

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:10 pm
We used to go very often. My kids loved just walking around Central Park and Times Square in addition to other things that were mentioned here.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:13 pm
Thanks! Forgot to mention that we’ve been to the Central Park Zoo too. But kids haven’t been to Times Square. Hope it won’t be too freezing...

giselle

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Forgot to mention that we’ve been to the Central Park Zoo too. But kids haven’t been to Times Square. Hope it won’t be too freezing...

I should mention though that the last few times we were there we commented that maybe we need to stop going, because there were some practically naked people there.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:27 am
giselle wrote:
I should mention though that the last few times we were there we commented that maybe we need to stop going, because there were some practically naked people there.

That's why wintertime is the best time to go to these places.....

giselle

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:28 am
Tzutzie wrote:
That's why wintertime is the best time to go to these places.....

I didn’t mean the tourists. There are people who stand there with body paint, etc. But you’re right, hopefully not in the winter.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:39 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Take them to National Geographic Encounter Ocean Odyssey, VR World, and Color Factory. You can do an escape room too. Ocean Odyssey and Color Factory are about 1.5 hours each. An escape room is about an hour. VR World is 2 hours. Gulliver's Gate is 1.5 hours, but I personally did not find it very enjoyable for children. All these attractions are quite expensive, but I'm pretty sure NYC Must-See Week begins on Monday, so if you go the following Sunday, many of these attractions will be BOGO.

You can also do a NYC bus sightseeing tour or a buggy ride at Central Park.

BOGO?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:48 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
BOGO?

Buy one, get one free. One admission free with purchase of admission
Restaurants are also participating. Reserve Cut is the only kosher restaurant on the list. Two course lunch for $26

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
Bumping this up. We’re considering going to NYC next week Sunday and Monday. My kids have been there but not so recently. Any recommendations for nice family-friendly hotel (preferably with pool) near kosher food, activities (I’m thinking about Gulliver’s Gate, I’ve been there but the kids haven’t), and other ideas? Kids are 10 and 5 and baby (which complicates things, but we really want to take the kids somewhere!). I think it may be too cold for ice skating at Rockefeller Center. We’ve been to the LEGO store (underwhelming even for my LEGO enthusiast). Don’t need to be running from activity to activity, but we want to have fun! Even taking the subway is exciting for my suburban kids Wink

Thanks in advance!

Stay at a hotel on the NJ side of the bridge for that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries