Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do I cancel $300+ Designer Eyeglasses (store sample)?
1  2  3  Next

Would you cancel the order if theyre telling me I might not get new frames?
yes  
 60%  [ 26 ]
no  
 37%  [ 16 ]
other, and please explain what youd do  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 5:57 pm
After choosing Designer Glasses at the most reputable place in BP, I asked if Ill get new frames or the Showroom sample, assuming they'll say "For sure youll get a new pair". They answered "maybe these".

How many people would spend $300+ on eyeglasses that many people have tried on? Who knows how long theyve been sitting around and tried. (Theyre getting $300+ from me and over $100 from my insurance, so theyre making money).

Would you cancel the order?

I was thinking Ill call the store and say I only want these glasses if when I come to pick mine up, I can see the store sample on display (then I know they got me a new frame).

As it is, I see them online for much cheaper elsewhere, but this place has a good reputation for making up glasses.

WWYD?

tymama

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 5:59 pm
I would t spend that kind of money on a floor sample. Think about how many people touched it and dropped it and got germs on it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:00 pm
I wouldn't Go ahead with the order. Go to Diamond Vision.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
After choosing Designer Glasses at the most reputable place in BP, I asked if Ill get new frames or the Showroom sample, assuming they'll say "For sure youll get a new pair". They answered "maybe these".

How many people would spend $300+ on eyeglasses that many people have tried on? Who knows how long theyve been sitting around and tried. (Theyre getting $300+ from me and over $100 from my insurance, so theyre making money).

Would you cancel the order?

I was thinking Ill call the store and say I only want these glasses if when I come to pick mine up, I can see the store sample on display (then I know they got me a new frame).

As it is, I see them online for much cheaper elsewhere, but this place has a good reputation for making up glasses.

WWYD?

Showroom samples should be offered at a discounted price

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:11 pm
tymama wrote:
I would t spend that kind of money on a floor sample. Think about how many people touched it and dropped it and got germs on it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I called and they told me that the order was placed, and tomorrow they'll call and see if they can cancel it (meaning hopefully its a new frame Id get if they cant cancel, so I dont feel that bad).

Update: They called back to say they were able to cancel the order. I heard so much about them, but I lost trust in them, if they wanted to pawn off a sample for $400+ (their price is $100 more for all their frames, for customers like myself, getting any reimbursement from an insurance plan. Theyd have gotten $300 from me and $100 from my insurance for a showroom sample).

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:25 pm
I definitely think it's not right of them to sell a showroom sample at full price. But I'm confused about the story. Did you ask which pair you'll get before or after placing the order? If you asked before and they said "maybe these" and you still went ahead with the order, then what right do you have to change your mind and back out?

If you were led to believe that you'll get a new pair and only after placing the order did they say they might give you the showroom model, then you have every right to demand a new pair or cancel the order.

Also, if you simply ask that there be a showroom model when you pick up your pair, it would be very easy for them to give you the current showroom model and simply replace it with another pair, which they may already have in their basement, so find a better way to protect yourself.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:50 pm
Btw, I'm curious if this is the [name removed] They always do this.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Btw, I'm curious if this is the [name removed] They always do this.

OP here. afaik theres only one BP place that has each frame marked with 2 prices, one $100 more than another. The higher price for those who pay out of pocket (no insurance) and $100 more for those getting any reimbursement from insurance. I havent seen that elsewhere.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:40 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you asked before and they said "maybe these" and you still went ahead with the order, then what right do you have to change your mind and back out?

My answer was to note on my order that I ONLY want the frames if Id be getting new ones (they said these frames come from Italy and they may take a long time to order. I said NO problem, Ill wait. They should NOT place the order for lenses and put them into the showroom sample. They said ok).

But I felt like what will I do once the glasses are made up, and the showroom sample is suspiciously "missing", and theyll tell me someone else bought them... hahahahaha

Im sure if I wouildnt have questioned it, Id have gotten the showroom sample!!!!

doctorima wrote:
Also, if you simply ask that there be a showroom model when you pick up your pair, it would be very easy for them to give you the current showroom model and simply replace it with another pair, which they may already have in their basement, so find a better way to protect yourself.

They SAID???? they dont have another pair. I didnt like the body language of the workers..

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. afaik theres only one BP place that has each frame marked with 2 prices, one $100 more than another. The higher price for those who pay out of pocket (no insurance) and $100 more for those getting any reimbursement from insurance. I havent seen that elsewhere.

I'm not sure I understand how that answers my question. I didn't see you mention frames marked with 2 prices in your OP.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm not sure I understand how that answers my question. I didn't see you mention frames marked with 2 prices in your OP.

I offered those details so youd know if it was the place you mentioned, because I think 2 prices on every frame is unusual. I hesitate to give a place a bad name.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:28 pm
I used to work at an eyeglass store... the frames are 'sold' from the company to the eyeglass store, but it works more like a purchase of the dollar value of goods from the company that manufacturers/distributes the frame. We exchanged/returned/got new ones whenever. If they didn't sell, they were kicked back. If they sold fast and there was a lot of interest we got another one for the display cases, but frames typically stayed in the display cases for 3 months max.

It was rare that we had frames that stayed as samples only - that's how we kept the selection fresh and up to date.

Still, if the frame is still being manufactured, it should be possible to get another. If it will take months to get a new one, I wouldn't get it - just in case something breaks and you need to replace the frame you would be out of luck...

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
I used to work at an eyeglass store... the frames are 'sold' from the company to the eyeglass store, but it works more like a purchase of the dollar value of goods from the company that manufacturers/distributes the frame. We exchanged/returned/got new ones whenever. If they didn't sell, they were kicked back. If they sold fast and there was a lot of interest we got another one for the display cases, but frames typically stayed in the display cases for 3 months max.

Are you saying its typical to get "for keeps" the actual frame you tried on in the store, that who knows how many people (of all ages and levels of patience) tried on? I dont think so. I think most places have samples on display, and order new ones that they make up with the prescription, when a customer chooses them.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Btw, I'm curious if this is the [name removed]. They always do this.

Beware: This statement is absolutely Loshon Hora.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:42 pm
I’m fairly certain when I purchase glasses I buy the exact frames I try on. Just like the clothing store.

Never bothered me. They aren’t store models - they are merchandise.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:44 pm
Why don't you just discuss this matter with the store you ordered from, so they can answer as to why they did this to you. Instead of badmouthing them on a public forum? Someone mentioned a name of a store, and you said that yes it was that store who did it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:57 pm
Honestly, I don’t think the store did anything wrong. Glasses stores never hold lots of stock on hand-frames are expensive.
It’s common practice for them to sell the frames on display.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
I’m fairly certain when I purchase glasses I buy the exact frames I try on. Just like the clothing store.

Never bothered me. They aren’t store models - they are merchandise.

I still think most places get the customer a new frame.

Clothing doesnt have hinges that can break, etc. or plastic that might have hairline cracks that can crack after theyve made up the glasses.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:11 pm
amother wrote:
I still think most places get the customer a new frame.

Clothing doesnt have hinges that can break, etc. or plastic that might have hairline cracks that can crack after theyve made up the glasses.

If the glasses crack when they put in the lenses - they won’t give them to the customer.

I don’t know what gave you the idea that this is the way the glasses businesses works - but as a customer of course you can request what you’d like to happen.

IMHO the store is well within reason to sell the frames new from the box and on display for the same price.

We disagree.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
If the glasses crack when they put in the lenses - they won’t give them to the customer.

I meant they can break a month later, which would be after this pair of glasses were tried for 2 years, and then worn by me a short time. Theyd probably say theyre not responsible, I did something.

If these glasses have been handled by hundreds of customers in a busy store, over a year or two (but werent purchased because they are expensive), by some who may or may not be careful all this time, isnt there a greater likelihood, that theyll break faster than if I got a brand new pair????????
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries