Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need Advice!! New business in Boro Park - please share!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
There's no real walk in Jewish library in wmsbg.
There's no Bingo in wmsbg

There's some sort of monopoly hold on supermarkets in Williamsburg. I'm not sure what it is but Bingo and KRM type stores are held back from opening stores there.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:57 pm
There was a place in Geulah that offered a clean bathroom and areas to nurse. Anyone know if it succeeded? It looked like it was done beautifully.
Monthly membership is a nice idea. I dont think you need to offer free coffee, you can charge a little, like 50 cents a cup. It will add up. Then you can have different levels of membership, one that includes one free coffee a day. Keep your bathroom stocked with necessities in a small basket, like pads and ponytails.
It could be really nice!
(I'm an OOTer through and through, I'm sure NY amothers will have good ideas!)

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:18 pm
What are you good at? What are you interested in? Is there some way to turn a hobby or interest of yours into a business?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:29 pm
I don't live in BP, but as someone who is always needing a bathroom (tiny bladder over here), I'm loving this bathroom/nursing room idea.

I'm picturing a store space converted into maybe 3-4 single "family style" bathrooms, with a changing table and nice comfy chair inside for nursing. A coffee area directly outside if you want, but I really don't think that's necessary. It should be all about the bathrooms.

Super clean, lots of amenities in each room (bobby pins, pads and tampons, tiny travel-sized toiletries like deodorant and hand sanitizer) and beautiful decor. I would TOTALLY pay for this if I was walking around a certain area all the time. No question.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:32 pm
Maybe you can add showers too.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:33 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
What are you good at? What are you interested in? Is there some way to turn a hobby or interest of yours into a business?

I thought about my hobbies, interests and what I'm good at. Now I want to fill a need so that I pursue something profitable, of course keeping in mind that it needs to be something I'm good at. Once I know what's a good niche, I'll see if it works for me. It's not like I have one area only that I'm interested in. And I definitely don't want to do something if it's a hobby, but there's not enough demand for it.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:34 pm
OP, I think the bathroom idea is a winner. I do think you need a few optional things to charge for, like cold water bottles, package of wipes etc. But the main idea is clean restrooms. And a small sitting area with a charging dock.
You can call it Oasis.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:35 pm
Add couches to sit down at. Add cots for naps. Add massage chairs. Add lockers to put your stuff down while shopping or rent out shopping carriages or large totes to hold your purchases.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:36 pm
Add newspapers & magazines.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:38 pm
You have to charge to enter because if not you will have all the homeless lounging out there on couches & beds

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:45 pm
You can have a timecard slot let's say 15 min. 1/2 hr. 1hr. So people can relax their on lunch break or if they are out of towners shopping with no home there

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:57 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Ok, I'm completely serious here. For as long as I can recall, my friends and I have longed for a clean bathroom service on 13th ave. I really think it has potential!

Please! Bathroom, nursing rooms, and coffee breaks!!!
You’ll be swarming with customers!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:57 pm
I’ve seen an ad for rental test areas or map places in the city by the hour. Anybody recall where it was posted?
Also being that I’m in the midst of finding a new cleaning lady I would like to suggest somebody offer a cleaning lady agency that includes somebody coming down to the house with the new lady and training her in!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:58 pm
And btw right off 13 would work best.
So people aren’t open in public when they walk in there.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:16 am
I second an entertainment type of option. Maybe something that can also cater to older young kids (lol) like 10-13 year olds.

Or a really nice girly hangout kind of spot.

Something like the Art Cafe or Painted Pot type of idea? With option for good coffee and baked goods on premises.

Clean and classy.

And you can have art type of classes happening in a back room even in the other arts like writing or music

debsey

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:09 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I second an entertainment type of option. Maybe something that can also cater to older young kids (lol) like 10-13 year olds.

Or a really nice girly hangout kind of spot.

Something like the Art Cafe or Painted Pot type of idea? With option for good coffee and baked goods on premises.

Clean and classy.

And you can have art type of classes happening in a back room even in the other arts like writing or music

I've never understood the appeal of painting pottery and also drinking coffee and serving baked goods....won't the smell of the paint take away anyone's appetite?

I think a girly beauty salon, catering to little girls and teens (like Sweet N Sassy in NJ) is an idea that the frum community could go for. Maybe with a coffee and pastry area for moms to hang out at.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:16 am
Sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but I don't think that the bathroom/rest area seems like a good idea. It would very likely end up as a magnet for disturbed people looking for a place to hang out. It would be nearly impossible to enforce a half-hour limit, and the owners would spend a lot of time kicking people out, only to have them return a few minutes later.

How about opening a store that has room for strollers?

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:35 am
A shuttle service around town

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
Sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but I don't think that the bathroom/rest area seems like a good idea. It would very likely end up as a magnet for disturbed people looking for a place to hang out. It would be nearly impossible to enforce a half-hour limit, and the owners would spend a lot of time kicking people out, only to have them return a few minutes later.

How about opening a store that has room for strollers?

You swipe when you come in.
Swipe when you leave.
Your card will get charged automatically if you overstay your 15 min. No need to kick ppl or if it's an automatic charge (If your a member, you can swipe your membership card.)
There could be turnstiles so ppl who don't pay can't enter.

turca

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:18 am
Every time I come to bp, besides not finding parking, I also can’t find s restroom.
ladies only (People might use the facilities to hook up : cheaper than a hotel, safer than a public restroom).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics